• This topic has 36 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by br.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Who pays the least (or most) for car insurance?
  • deejayen
    Free Member

I’ve just had to insure a car. I haven’t built up any no-claims bonus because I’ve driven business cars, but other than that I’m probably fairly low risk. It’s just a 1.0L banger, but I was getting quotes upwards of £200 (eventually got cover for £175). It seemed quite expensive, but I’ve since read that the average premium is somewhere between £600 and £900.

Is anybody paying a mere pittance for their car insurance (maybe £100 or less) and if so, what’s the secret?

Tallpaul
    Free Member

Low value, low insurance group, low annual mileage, ‘safe’ postcode, Female, loads of NCB and 3rd Part only policy (or a massive excess) are the key (according to conventional wisdom).

Brand new car (group 15, so low-ish)), safe(ish) postcode, limited mileage, full NCB and Wife as named driver has me fully comp with legal cover, low excess and protected NCB for £230.

Cheapest renewal I’ve had since I drove bangers will 3rd party insurance ~15 years ago.

momo

£350ish a year here fully comp protected, 35 with 9+ NCB, parked on the drive at a middling postcode (nice street/estate, but there’s a council estate the other side of the main road), wife as named driver, business use and 20k p/a drive it up as does having a claim from when someone drove down the side of the wifes car (I was in the driving seat at the time so have to declare against both of us!) whoile we were parked up.

I do pay less than £100p/a for my motorbike though!

philjunior
    Free Member

Often the third party fire and theft is now more expensive than fully comp.

I’m paying around £200/year with no voluntary excess (think excess is £150 or £250) for a two and a bit year old car that’s big but not fast.

cranberry
    Free Member

low annual mileage, ‘safe’ postcode, Female

I thought that they’d had to end discrimination on the grounds of risk gender ??

njee20
    Free Member

On gender yes, can’t use that to differentiate. So now women’s car insurance costs more. Great victory for them that one!

Most companies will have a minimum premium, unlikely to get under £100 except on a classic car on a dedicated policy. IIRC. A friend used to pay £61 for his Morris Minor. Can’t go fast enough to do any damage and spares are widely available and cheap!

I pay £180 for a 2012 Golf GTI, aged 29 with no claims.

johndoh
    Free Member

I like Sheila’s Wheels – insurance for women but actually it’s for anyone.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

BD postcode.

Mrs FD has a Fiesta and its roughly £400 a year max NCD, no penalties etc 🙁

My 3 series is free 😆

Friends live approx. 3 miles away with LS postcode and his BMW M3 is £200 to insure !

somouk
    Free Member

I’m paying £550 at 32 with only 4 years company car no claims on a 15 plate Audi A4 Denz in a rough area.

A lot cheaper than I expected it to be that’s for sure!

toby1

I like Sheila’s Wheels

I avoid them based purely on the advertising.

I pay about £250 for an old Civic type R, I have long NCB and live in a good area though.

matt_outandabout

£160ish this year, minus £70 cashback – for 25k a year, full business cover on a Galaxy with big engine. 8)

Sadly, mrs_oab had a bump this year, so they added £4.46 to her policy. 😥

njee20
    Free Member

Mileage can make a massive difference to premium. Don’t say you’ll do 12k if you’ll only do 5k.

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks very much for the examples. It looks like anything less than £200 is pretty good, so my £175 fully comp with no voluntary excess, and business use etc. is okay, even though it is for a Granny Car rather than a GTI. The premium might reduce a bit once I build up NCB on that car.

I ran loads of variations through the online systems, and mileage and value of the car didn’t seem to make much difference. I’m not sure how they’d know about mileage unless they fit some sort of tracking device.

What did make a big difference was delaying the start date of the cover.

matt_outandabout

even though it is for a Granny Car rather than a GTI.

Our car type makes absolutely no difference – I ran a Golf GTi through the quotes last year, it added £20 or so…
    It is driver history, age and location that drives most of the premium – and according to directline, there is a minimum cost of a policy to cover admin and advertising…and we are on it.

qwerty
    Free Member

We went from £750 in an EN1 postcode to £250 in a GL5 postcode 🙂

arcing
    Free Member

Most companies will have a minimum premium. For example at previous employer you wouldn’t be able to get below £150ish. That was the floor price.

arcing
    Free Member

qwerty, I’ve just moved into GL5. Can you see me waving?

doris5000

£600ish on a Mazda 3, because I live in teh Hood.

was £800 last year though, because I lived in an even less salubrious area.

poly
    Free Member

. I’m not sure how they’d know about mileage unless they fit some sort of tracking device.

Well they don’t care until you make a claim, and then they might look at your MOT for example, as evidence of mileage…

munkyboy
    Free Member

Do you always buy the cheapest. I could save £100 with esure but the customer feedback is appalling. Having made a couple of claims in the past you will easily burn through 100 of your time being put on hold. Paying 350 at the mo

somafunk

£137 for fully comp on a 12 yr old ford connect van, 10+ years of protected no claims bonus and i live in galloway so nae car crime to speak of.

And on my 34 yr old golf gti with 189bhp 16v ABT tuned engine, uprated Bilstein B14 shocks + springs, front/rear strut brace, 4 pot brakes, fully polybushed, eibach anti roll bars, quaife diff and modified gearbox was only £111 fully comp with agreed and independantly verified value of £7k – the milage was kept to under 6000 miles/year and it was garaged with a tracker/immobiliser fitted.

Just one of the benefits when you stay in Bonnie Galloway, along with deserted open roads/corners 😉

wolfenstein
    Free Member

i always pick a wrong postcode where to live 😡 £800 (all in) 8yrs NCB (yes,I searched all Car insurance quote in the internet) … surprisingly only £200 for my (kid) 1.4 b/new yaris last year 😐

breadcrumb

£170 on a 2.0l Accord.

The joys of not being young…

wilburt
    Free Member

Dont claim, dont live near people who claim and dont drive like a nob.

That’ll get you cheap insurance.

dannybgoode

£720 5 years protected ncd plus most of the add ons but that is for a Civic Type R in one of the less salubrious areas of Sheffield.

Saccades
    Free Member

Crikey.

600e for a 10 year old 1.4 clio.

Welcome to Ireland.

PePPeR

£750 a year for my wife and I fully Comprehensive with a £500 excess.

Oh that allows me upto 6 cars 😀

I can change them online when I want and as I have 10 it helps.

tonyf1
    Free Member

£172 including NCD protection, £250 excess for a 16 plate Audi S3 Hatch in GL8 parked on drive, private road 10 year NCD. Do I win?

Dibbs
    Free Member

My Smart diesel was around £140 this year fully comp, but then I have to drive the thing. 😕

fisha
    Free Member

£300 ish for an 08 plate Range Rover supercharged. My wife’s mini used to be more to insure than the rangie.

trail_rat
    Free Member

260 for my 06 pug partner van worth approx 1k with my wife on as a named driver with 1 accident.

255 for her 04 berlingo also worth approx 1k. with her 1 accident and me as a named driver.

Both have the same engine work that one out .

My land rover 90 is 150 on a modified classic policy

woffle
    Free Member

on heavily modified MX-5 1.6NA – all declared including twin carbs, lightened fly, exhaust and manifold, ECU, suspension, front-end, brakes, full interior etc…

I think it was £132 odd for up to 10K per year, garaged and agreed valuation of £3K. Classic car policy with owners-club discounts etc but also allowed commuting (go figure). 30-something years old, Sussex with my wife as 2nd driver.

Harry_the_Spider

£850 for me and my wife on a joint policy for an S Max (12,000 miles per annum) and Ford Fusion (1,000 miles per annum). Fully comp. Manchester Post Code. Off road parking. 10+ years NCB. No convictions. No claims made.

FFS.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Mine’s free (company cay).

My other half’s MINI Cooper is £350 for us both which includes a claim for me last year.

ste_t
    Free Member

£390 for me on a new Polo GTI. 5 points for a cd10 double write off fault claim within last 3 years.

GL3 definitely isn’t the worst area to live in but I did meet a neighbour for the first time recently whilst he strolled through the communal carpark smoking a spliff.

bigG
    Free Member

I pay £400 a year to insure my 2015 Golf Gti with zero no claims bonus fully comp for my wife and I to drive. Rural ish postcode helps I guess.

br
    Free Member

#173 pa, which is exactly 10% of my youngests’ insurance…

At an age now where the car is pretty irrelevent, Vectra at the mo but the wife’s expensive Land Rover costs us the same – both of us on both cars with zero excess and business cover.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Who pays the least (or most) for car insurance?’ is closed to new replies.