Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Who, other than Marks and Sparks for home insurance to cover bikes?
  • Daffy

MnS are wanting an extra £240 over last years £540 for my home insurance.

They say: "because our underwriter has changed and your property is in a floodrisk area we wouldn't usually insure it, that's why the price has gone up"

Almost £800 for contents only FFS! I'm on the 4th floor! ALL of Leeds city centre would need to be completely underwater for the flat to be flooded.

I have more than 1 bike worth more than £1500. Who can I go to?

Cheers,

M

gator
    Free Member

Try Adrian Flux

tinsy
    Free Member

I use and can wholly reccomend Direct Line, I was burgled inside house and they came good, and had 2 bikes knicked from shed and they came good on that too…. sometimes insurance isnt worth skimping on.

Daffy

Tinsy, I though DL wouldn't insure bikes over £1500

hugorune

Direct line refused to insure any bikes over £1500 so we swapped (using go compare) to AA and they didn't have any problems. I'll let you know if they're any good as I'm just waiting on a claim for my stolen bike.

spacecadett
    Free Member

I use Halifax and they are very good. I had a bike stolen a couple of years ago and paid £2000 within a couple of weeks – great service.

cxi
    Free Member
    nbt

We had a similar price hike from M&S. NFU Mutual were very helpful although the best quote and therefore the one we took was from AXA. We went through a broker though not online as the online policy doesn;t offer the cover for bikes we wanted

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Interested to hear the outcome Hugo. i just went for AA insurance. Bikes over £1500 require an additional premium, all should be insured outside and away from home as long as locked to an inmovable object.

At least as far as I could make out from the first set of volumes of information that they sent me.

tinsy
    Free Member

I had pics and build pics of 2 custom builds 1 mine the other my wifes (3 weeks old), I could, and did list every component used to build each bike, and added it to a word document, I got paid out almost RRP for each part used to make the bikes up, despite some being older parts. It might come down to what loss adjustor you have, but if your bike is inside the house/flat, your covered, or in a locked shed then you are covered AFAIK…

edit… there is an extra charge if you want them covered away from the house, and that has a limit, maybe thats what your thinking of.

Junkyard
    Free Member

As above just try adding it to normal house insurance think I am with Homeprotect and had to list bikes seperate + components etc but insured at value and covered even though in a shed. I only have to padlock the shed for them to be covered I need no other security (clealry I have way more) and insured outside also if locked (again with any lock at all. Think it cost an extra £40 an d overall about £250 iirc

Kit
    Free Member

I swapped from M&S to Greenbee (who are underwritten by Axa). Contents only.

Bikes do not need to be specified – valuables are up to £20,000 and single item up to £10,000. Plus bikes are insured away from home too.

2nd floor flat, £240 a year. I tried to get a cheaper quote, including through Greenbee and Axa and Axa wouldn't insure me because I am in an area at risk from flooding or subsidence, and the Greenbee cover rocketed. Reckon there's been a lot of insurance claims in my area 🙁

http://www.greenbee.com/

MS
    Free Member

i use E&L, never had to claim so cant comment on that but price was good and looks like everything is covered tht i want.

clubber
    Free Member

Out of interest, those of who you got crap renewal quotes from M&S, did you try getting a brand new quote – my renewal is always crap but I swap it between my name and my wife's each year so it's effectively a new policy and that always works out much better.

Riofer
    Free Member

Daffy, have you got a new quote from M&S? My renewal was quite high so I got a quote off the website for a new policy and it was much cheaper – also got some cashback from Quidco I think.

stu-pid
    Free Member

Ive got £4.5k worth of bikes insured on my NFU home insurance & they're covered wherever i take them. Cost me an extra £30 a year!!

nbt

Out of interest, those of who you got crap renewal quotes from M&S, did you try getting a brand new quote

I was with M&S for a number of years, I never even bothered swapping names, I would routinely just cancel and then re-insure. Never had any problems till this year, when having cancelled I found I couldn't re-insure: the new insurers wouldn't cover Mrs NBT's working from home as it's not strictly office paperwork type of thing. I called to ask and they said they would have continued to offer cover under an existing contract but couldn't quote for a new one. Like I said though, AXA were alsmot half the price for the cpver we need

Aidy
    Free Member

Yeah, same here. M&S wanted more this year than last year – which I thought was pretty weird.

Put a quote through their website and it came out £160 cheaper. Result.

DaveGr
    Free Member

Ive got £4.5k worth of bikes insured on my NFU Mutual home insurance & they're covered wherever i take them. Cost me an extra £30 a year!!

Good to see another happy customer 😀

Drac

Clubber you don't need to do that just get another quote online set it up to start when your current expires and contact them to let them know you want the original to expire.

BoardinBob

Almost £800 for contents only FFS! I'm on the 4th floor! ALL of Leeds city centre would need to be completely underwater for the flat to be flooded.

😯

I'm £120 contents only with M&S. 4th floor flat next to a river that has flooded in the past. 3 miles from Glasgow city centre.

How the hell can yours be so much higher 😕

discbrakediva
    Free Member

Sainsbury's pulled a similar hike trick with us. Switched to More Than who are offering up to £4k bike cover including away from the home. Just need to specify any bikes worth over £1500.
    All home insurance seems to go up every year whichever company you're with. Just a pain in the butt to keep finding a new one each year!!

PePPeR

Because M&S are using a different Insurer now and they obviously don't want the business, so rather than refusing a quote, they make extortionate quotations instead so if someones silly enough to pay it they're happy or they can Foxtrot Oscar because they don't want you business anymore.

BoardinBob

Because M&S are using a different Insurer now and they obviously don't want the business

When did they change? I took my policy out on the first of June.

PePPeR

Before June,

franksinatra

M&S wanted an extra £200 from me, went to ING and saved a small fortune. Cover seems similar to M&S

MartynS

MandS now underwritten by Axa, so all those who have gone from MandS to Axa, you've just proved how bonkers the systems are…!!

need to look at mine now!

mudshark
    Free Member

I went from M&S to ING when the premium went up and think ING offer more for less cash. I rang up about bikes and was told as long as within the single item limit no problem – that might only be up to £1.5k though? Enough for me anyway but adding bikes of more value is OK but increases premium a bit.

ianpinder
    Free Member

i'm with halifax, my £6000 nicolai, and my £2600 cove handjob are covered and it costs me an extra 130 a yearincluding them being away from the house, and damage to them whilst riding

Drac

that might only be up to £1.5k though?

So not as good as M&S then.

mudshark
    Free Member

Try reading the rest of my post – if you only have to pay a bit more to cover more expensive bikes and it's still cheaper than M&S then that's probably good right?!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Who, other than Marks and Sparks for home insurance to cover bikes?’ is closed to new replies.