Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Who on here does Alpine/winter climbing then?
  • jhw
    Free Member

I got into it heavily in September last year following directly from various mountain biking trips to Chamonix and have just sold one of my bikes to fund my first proper pair of ice axes, ropes etc., purchased earlier this year – a very difficult call to make. Had my first hand at waterfall ice this winter (two week trip), joined a club and now making plans for the summer. I’m now down to one hardtail and plan to just hire bikes if I want to ride when in the Alps.

Roll call for STW mountaineers please!

glenh
    Free Member

plan to just hire bikes if I want to ride when in the Alps.

Last time I rode a bike when climbing in the alps I bust my clavicle and couldn’t climb for months (or the rest of my 4 week trip).

sweaman2
    Free Member

Ahem – who is stalking who on this :D… begone back to ukc 🙂

passtherizla
    Free Member

I usually spend 3 weeks in the summer in cham climbing, have been doing that on and off for about 20 years, also climb on Nevis and around that area a fair bit during winter..

Tower Gully by passtherizla, on Flickr

jhw
    Free Member

Cool pic, Tower ridge high on the list

passtherizla
    Free Member

that’s my dad following me… more of a easy snow scramble really, Hence the lack of ropes, still a good day out though.

jhw
    Free Member

Looks avalanchey! Swearman have we met, I think we may have, sorry if I climbed with you last weekend or something!

passtherizla
    Free Member

we checked the avi risk and did some cross sections and probing, looked good so we went for it.

benman
    Free Member

Used to be into winter climbing/alpinism. Don’t have the motivation to drive all way to Scotland for a weekends climbing anymore though. The days of bivvying in the Ben car park after a long drive up are over for me!

Done a couple of summer alpine trips, but biking has taken over. So much easier to bike in all weathers, rather than waiting for rock to dry, or ice to become ‘in nick’.

I do miss it though, and fancy getting some long easy rock routes done this summer. The adrenalin rush and fear factor of climbing can never be matched by mtb.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Did a bit in Norway with a summer climbing partner, but I have real issues with being cold so I’ve stopped doing it now

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Have climbed extensively in the Alps and used to do 1 week a year winter climbing hol usually in Glencoe/Fort Bill. Used to go to the alps once or twice a year for 10 years 1993-2003, but in the last 7 years only been 3 times. We were in Saas Grund Switzerland last September and did some of the big easy 4000ers, finishing off with a harder climb.

One of the good things is it gives you something to really look forward to in the winter, when everyone else is complaining about the cold, snow, dark etc.

On a few trips in the 90’s we took mtbs with us and used them as poor weather options. Back then, you never saw anyone from the UK doing alps MTB.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Only if I can ride my snowboard back down – all that effort for no gain otherwise.. 🙄
    For example I climbed the domes de miages and then got an awesome 2000m run back to les contamines.

I see it like climbing on a bike to get a fireroad descent!

peterfile
    Free Member

Been up in the Western Highlands camping and climbing pretty much every weekend this season.

Even on the weekends where the weather has pushed us off the mountains we’ve managed to get some indoor stuff on the ice wall in Kinlochleven, trying out new kit and taking lessons.

Spending the night in snow hole at the end of March, hopefully on the Ben….can’t wait! Taking a guide/instructor for this one though 🙂

Only if I can ride my snowboard back down

Tried to do this on Ben Lui a while back. Failed. Going to try again in March.

greyman
    Free Member

Yep

Lochnagar last weekend. Not too much been ‘in nick’ this year though 😉

TBH do more skiing and snowboarding, but just generally love the mountains in winter.

Rockclimbing I can take it or leave it, usually spend most time on the bike.

mugsys_m8

Yep. Well you know that already anyway!

Used to live for it. Did 2 trips to the Lemon Mountains in Greenland doing new peaks upto around D+ in 1999 and 2000 then got very much into the Scotland scene.Used to do a summer alpine trip. Mrs Mugsys 1st winter route was Tower Ridge in perfect conditions. Went on a trying to climb mountains trip to South Georgia in 2005 Then got into ski mountaineering a bit.

Now we live in France I do very little, depsite being 2 and a bit hours from Chamonix, and about the same from Ailefroide with smaller peaks from about an hour by car. Do mostly ski mountaineering in day hits form home, not really by choice, but that’s what works best with the family.

Alps have been here for a long time, they’ll last a bit longer yet.

jhw
    Free Member

Pretty good body of experience on here then

Am already regretting sale of my beloved Enduro but so drawn to high stuff

jhw
    Free Member

Love ice climbing. Something about beating the $hit out of ice appeals to me on a profound level.

By me, not of me

Taken by the belayer in the above photo, of me on something a bit more mellow, from across the gorge!

Baby climber’s first v-thread abseil (note failure to trust a single v-thread…)

We didn’t proceed beyond here FAOD, bit wet

First proper buff lead, got mild PTSD from this even though it was stepped and there was a ramp up the first bit

The question is how to integrate ice climbing and mountain biking in a single day out.

kennyp
    Free Member

[/url]
    IMG_6188 by Kenneth Pollock, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]
    IMG_6195 by Kenneth Pollock, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]
    IMG_6203 by Kenneth Pollock, on Flickr[/img]

I’ve done a few Alpine peaks in France and Switzerland, although they were more walking and scrambling than out and out climbing. Great fun, though having asthma I did struggle with the altitude quite a bit.

alexxx
    Free Member

I live in Morzine, not really got the balls to do much full out winter climbing but I do a lot of sport 8 months of the year and been enjoying the last few days where I’ve been getting into skiing and boot packing.

Think like someone above said – I’d happily skin up and then ride down on skis or board but I won’t be doing any sole hardcore ice climbs

ianv
    Free Member

Tried it one winter, f….ng hated it. Cold, miserable, big walkins, dodgy rock and protection. The only satisfaction I got was when I sold my gear.

highclimber
    Free Member

Tis my tertiary sport after Trad climbing and MTB – it’s certainly as expensive as running a bike!

went to the cairngorms last month for a week which was a bit of a waste of time given the slow-to-arrive/non-existent winter!

jhw
    Free Member

It’s been rubbish hasn’t it? I’ve stopped going as I’m sick to death of travelling across the country to climb grade II runnels.

Do we think Scotland’s going to magically come into condition again in the latter half of March people

passtherizla
    Free Member

I don’t reckon it will, but fingers crossed 🙂

Just looking at availability for Cham 2013, makes me happy.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Who on here does Alpine/winter climbing then?’ is closed to new replies.