• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Sum.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Who makes the best cassette
  • andy9678
    Free Member

Looking to get a new cassette currently on xt, and found it wore down on the small 3 rings, is it worth the money getting xtr or should i have a dabble on an sram.

njee20
    Free Member

Think about your chainrings if you’re spending all your time in the smaller rings. You can replace them individually, generally not cost effective though.

XTR not worth it – same steel smaller cogs, just thrice the price. Not a huge fan of SRAM cassettes myself, except XX/XX1/XG999 which are works of art!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Stick with xt, best vfm overall.

andy9678
    Free Member

Njee20 where can i get replacment rings for my xt

njee20
    Free Member

If they import the ones you need any LBS. SJS Cycles often list spares if you want to buy online. It’s usually £6-£7 per sprocket though. You can get a whole cassette for £40 online.

neiloxford
    Free Member

Rosebikes stock replacement sprockets

E.g 770

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/search/find/?q=cs-m770

£3-4 per sprocket 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

really happy with my SRAM 990’s

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Have used Sram and shimano. I’d stick to XT or even SLX as they are a good cassette and dont break the bank. Although trying to find the ratios I use 11-28 is becoming increasingly difficult I’m toying with the idea of using an Ultegra 10 speed on my latest build.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

TDK

orangeboy
    Free Member

Madison don’t supply the 11t cog for the xt 10 speed cassettes
    But do for 9 speed.
    Because of the build in spacer I don’t think the two are interchangeable

martinxyz
    Free Member

Rusty,That’s.The kind of cassette I use. ;O)

I always use shimano. For the same reason that some sram sponsored roadies have been using them too. Just don’t try and take pictures of their cassettes or question why they have sram on their jerseys but shimano hardware on the bike.

maccruiskeen

campfreddie
    Free Member

correct me if i’m wrong here, but the difference between the latest slx and xt cassettes is basically a switch from a steel to an alloy lock-ring.

if you already have an xt cassette with an alloy lock-ring, surely you should just buy a slx cassette and use the lighter light-ring.

job done… instant saving?

what have i missed?

Sum
    Free Member

The SLX and XT cassettes are different – the XT has more of the larger sprockers on the alloy carrier (spider). Also the spider design is different (on the 9spd versions at least).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Who makes the best cassette’ is closed to new replies.