Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Who made e-stay bikes back in the early 90's?
  • duckman

Apart from alpine stars.I used to do the locked in the dunny-dream-parts- selection from the ads in US mag Mba that used to have parts price and weight listed. wasn't nishinki? either.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think Saracen ruined the Kili Flyer with e-stays around 1992 or 1993.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Alpinestars, Saracen, Kirk, lots of others

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Are you thinking of the Yeti Ultimate? A few more clues and I could maybe guess it for you.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Might be one of the bikes in here? Retrobike e-Stay Coolwall

Rickos
    Free Member

Nishiki Alien is the one you're thinking of.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, as well as those above, there were bikes from Scott, Yeti, Nishiki, Titan, Fisher (I think), Brave, Haro, Merlin, Trimble, and Cannondale (sort of, with the EST bouncy bikes).

Eldrik
    Free Member

And of course the classic pink Funk. The Rocky Mountain Cirrus came in an e-stay version too, I think.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

enlighten me, whats the benifit of an e-stay?

Crell
    Free Member

enlighten me, whats the benifit of an e-stay?

In the words of Father Ted, "That would be an ecumenical matter"

Shorter stays and better mud clearance when 16.5 inch chainstays were the norm, no chainslap, easy chain removal…

It's a long list as most manufacturers dabbled in them for a while. Mantis (Cunningham) made some of the nicest, though I love my FUNK 🙂

chapps
    Free Member

Also Scott did an Evoloution in Kawaskai green with white and blue bits.

Big Coke Can Ally tubes.

I had a Square tubes Conquest E-stay with Marzocchi star forks
    XT in black and Maguras

qwerty
    Free Member

i had a Pacific elevated chain stay frame i sprayed rasta, 1.25" ahead with white Mag 21s fitted with a long travel kit (42mm – 60mm) :mrgreen:

cynic-al
    Free Member

The Fishers all broke.

I think this might have contributed to Fisher's bankruptcy/buy-out that year.

duckman

Right, from what I remember it came in pro,comp and race guise if you bought it fully built up,I wonder if you can get early copies of mba on the web? I am leaning towards nishiki,but I am still not 100% sure.Ended up buying the white splatter Kona Cinder Cone instead,so think it would have been 89-90?

whytetrash

Had an Alpinestars Al Mega DX…sub 16" stays if memory serves, still the best climbing bike I've ridden on really steep stuff…Crell you've forgotten no chainsuck…easily done at your age!…so no gash XT sharkfin required!

cookeaa

More to the point, who (if anyone) is making e-stay bikes today?

vinnyeh

Crell, any pictures of that Funk? I really really really wanted one of those.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

cookeaa – Member
    More to the point, who (if anyone) is making e-stay bikes today?

Trimble still are, I believe –
    http://www.trimblemtb.com/26Frame.html

mt
    Free Member

Overbury's was a UK made e-stay bike of some reputation.

tonyg2003

nice picture Rickos – even better with the rear stays attached 😀 A mate had one and him frequently tightening the rear bolts is a fond memory.

mudshark
    Free Member

So why don't people make bikes with them anymore?

vinnyeh

So why don't people make bikes with them anymore?

They flexed. Leastaways the Alien I had which was the earlier white one with welded, not bolted, stays did, especially round the bb- never rode the later one. Also, in an era obsessed with weight, they were I think, a bit heavier than conventional stays.
    The big advantages were mud clearance, easier to get good tyre clearance, shorter chainstays and nil chance of trapping the chain (steering clear of using the word 'chainsuck').

cookeaa

Mmmmmm Trimble, much rather have one of those than some Ti0-flex semi-URT abortion…

Crell
    Free Member

Vinnyeh:

It's got a different build now from the one shown here of original owner – a bit more authentic, though err it's currently in a box

Still would like to find a box section "big fork" for it though 🙁

G.R.F. "Best" is clearly subjective 🙂 Mantis XCR, Merlin Elevator, Funk, Ellison, Brave, Yeti Ultimate, or indeed a fillet brazed Overburys…(the list goes on) or an S-Bike. The S-Bike would be somewhere near the bottom of my list, though they did make some proper non suspension e-stay bikes as well.

singlespeedstu

I always wanted one of those Funk's. I'd just bought a Klein though which left me flat broke for a while.

mamadirt
    Free Member

I still want a SBike! 8)

frank4short
    Free Member

Trimble? Coolest bikes of there time. nearly got one back in about 92/93 but my old man wouldn't lend me the fifty quid extra i needed to buy it.

singlespeedstu

A mate of mine had a Trimble for a short while.
    He would have had it for longer but the back end "just fell off"

biggievan
    Free Member

Anyone know the front derailleur clamp size for the Funk Pro Comp?

ivantate
    Free Member

you can run belt drive on an e-stay.

cynic-al
    Free Member

this has to be a joke in the current thread resurrection theme.

quite a good one too.

woffle
    Free Member

My mate had a Yeti Ultimate – lovely bike.

Also had a Alpinestars DX in our little gang of cyclists (I had a ‘normal’ Killiflyer Comp – fillet-brazed Prestige tubing; was a thing of beauty).

Those S-Bikes look like my Airnimal Joey.

epicyclo

ivantate – Member
    you can run belt drive on an e-stay.

The Penance – so called because it is built out of bits I wish I’d never bought (apart from the wheels and the belt that is)

Ridden in SSUK09

ivantate
    Free Member

looks fine to me.

Ever since my old Alpinestars i have liked e-stay. A belt drive ss may just be the way forward, saw the Sycip shown recently in the same configuration.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Who made e-stay bikes back in the early 90's?’ is closed to new replies.