Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Who lives in the oldest house on STW?
  • ebygomm
    Free Member

Not me, oldest place I lived in was 1899 and that was a converted building. Was a lovely Watson Fothergill building though.

Karinofnine

Mcmoonter, your house rocks! If you are a struggling artist, maybe you could make your house work for you by doing mountainbike holidays?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Mcmoonter – is it up the road past the wee newsagents on the corner of Palace Road/Broad Street (would have been easier just to ask if it was up Palace Road really wouldn’t it!).

I do like Kirkwall, been known to spend a little time in The Bothy now and again… perhaps. Though I am more of a Hoy man myself 😉

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Should add, my current house is a mere 350 years old or so.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Mcmoonter – is it up the road past the wee newsagents on the corner of Palace Road/Broad Street

Its hidden behind the newsagents on the Victoria St. side. You’d never know it was there.

Jesus was born in my house. Barn conversions were all the rage in 1AD

loddrik
    Free Member

I live in a cave formed around 3bn years ago. Can I claim my prize now?

ahwiles
    Free Member

i don’t know about ‘oldest’ – but i definitely live in the coldest

100 year old terraces are rubbish.

woffle
    Free Member

we rented a place that had cellar / foundations dating back to about 1243 apparently. The bulk of the building was from the early 1600’s. Used to be a church cloister / Monks building. Seriously haunted it turned out (and I’m cynical to the nth degree but I only spent 1 night in it alone)…

FFJA
    Free Member

1620 for me, with a humungous cellar which goes all the way under village green and is the old beer cellar from when it was used at the Half Moon hotel

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

1642 according to the date stone, but that hasn’t stopped progress as we have underfloor heating and centralised hoover system but all very tastefully done so the house still looks like it would have done 300 years ago. Allegedly in the 1740’s John Wesley, the methodist church founder preached, from our doorstep (facing outwards presumably, or maybe the other direction if they had decided not to let him in!). The site has been inhabited since the bronze age as an axe head was found in our garden during renovations proves.

jonb
    Free Member

what on earth is a centralised hoover system?

1895 for me so quite new compared to some.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i worked in a pizza hut with roman walls – does that count?

guido

I slept in West Kennett Long Barrow once-does that count?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

1863 here- its a semi detached cottage with cavity construction (pretty advanced for its time ) and our neighbours is concrete construction – not smooth faced but a very nice rough hardcore mix concrete- how weird is that?

They are part of the Duke of Sutherlands estate and the house across the road is all timber construction- think they were a very early Grand Designs project!

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Guido – I have done the same, although at Wideford Hill Cairn and the Dwarfie Stane most memorably… there have been a few others over the years too!

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Used to live here, but only built in 1799

tommytowtruck

Our house was built around 1890. My wife grew up in a lovely farmhouse built in 1663.

nasher
    Free Member

one part of my apartment dates to early 1800’s, the other part dates to 1400’s

this is in Italy

Andyhilton
    Free Member

1906 here

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i have the 2nd oldest fridge in the UK, oldest in Scotland 8)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Belongs to a friend, I can sort of claim to have lived here at weekends in the past, on and off. Says 1617 over the door and originally belonged to the Knights of St.John.

ratadog

1780s N Yorks farm house with a servants wing put on by the Victorians in around 1890.

The old farm buildings behind the house pre-date the main building but probably only by 10-20 years. Going to make a great workshop/office when my premium bond comes up.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Banana – that looks interesting, any more info?

Our place is an old flax mill, called; “The Old Mill”. Probably about 3-400 years old originally before being redeveloped ~50years ago.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Dave Rudabar, It’s Beckfoot Cottage near Bingley, West Yorks. More info here http://www.cottingleyconnect.org.uk/beckfoot.htm. They bought it derelict in the 1970’s and divided it into 3 cottages. I think, originally this was the main road into Bingley and for a long time the cottage was a stagecoach post. The bridge is Cottingley Bridge. Cottingley being of Cottingley Fairies fame.

ArcticBeast
    Free Member

i don’t know about ‘oldest’ – but i definitely live in the coldest…

100 year old terraces are rubbish.

tell me about it and end of terrace is the worst
    mines 1855 according to the stone in the wall.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Not us but my folks place in the oldest house in Wadebridge – records date back 500 years.

BigJohn

I used to live in the road next to Fairy Dell in Cottingley – where Conan Doyle faked the photos.

My current house had a warped bit of shirting board. It had obviously been warped a long time because when I replaced it I found a previous owner had stuffed newspaper down it and filled over it. When I carefully unfolded the paper it had got reports from last week’s fighting in the Crimean War and Victoria & Albert’s visit from Napoleon III.

theotherjonv

As a student, I lived for one year in rooms on the staircase next to the great hall in Durham Castle.

the big door used to be my outside door. I had rooms at the back of the castle with views over the River Wear and (shhhh…) access onto the roof, for summer sunbathing.

Reverse view from the river up to my room.

I live in a post war semi now. At least the windows fit.

tartanscarf

Some tremendous houses on here. I don’t live in it but our hostel is c. 400 years old, owned (I think) at that time by the Livingston family. I think some of the decor and plumbing is original 🙂

TS

TPTcruiser

As a student, I lived for one year in rooms on the staircase next to the great hall in Durham Castle.

Stayed there too during a conference in 2002. Huuuuuge long bath with no plug up some stairs on its own landing. Nice pub down the hill to the left of the exit and a Woolworth’s where I got a universal bath plug.
    Hogwarts dining room in the same building?

terrahawk
    Free Member

1810 but (in a STW oneupmanship stylie)… one of the Dambusters lived in it. Somebody Clay IIRC.

this one?

theotherjonv

Nice pub down the hill to the left of the exit and a Woolworth’s where I got a universal bath plug.

The Shakespeare?

brakes
    Free Member

1839, neo-classical square

molgrips
    Free Member

Brakes I like that.

brakes
    Free Member

me too! at the time, critics called it ‘overly geometric’

skiboy
    Free Member

Banana,

I would be interested in that info too, the hospitallers had a thing for putting houses next to river crossings in england,the bridges/fords being a focal point for travellers i suppose, there is one on the Northern side of the Iron Bridge in newport pagnell.

My ten penith, my house was built in 1915, my mums house was built in the 1600’s, but my mates wifes parents house, was mentioned in the doomsday book (baliifs house) and had a massive garden that even had the original village pond in it, which later witnessed some witch dunkin’.in her bedroom she had the remains of a C13 fireplace in the wattle and dorb walls.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Who lives in the oldest house on STW?’ is closed to new replies.