Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Who lives and works in New Zealand?
  • deserter
    Free Member

whats the economy like out there at the moment? are there plenty of jobs{truckmechanic}? whats the general standard of living like{ I heard low wages high property prices}? where would be the best balance between work and getting out to do hobbies{snowboarding and mtb}?

we are currently in Canada on temp work permits and are wondering whether to jump ship or not

Tne economy is certainly not as hammered as the U.K. Jobs like anywhere are easy to get if you have the right skills. I am unsure if there is a large need in the motor trade. Being a "factory trained" mechanic may be an advantage. Work visa's will be easy to come by if there is a recognised skill shortage in that area.

You can also apply for a working holiday visa (2 years?). We have a list of "jobs" that we are requiring, and these can unlock the doors.

The cost of living is supposedly high, however when I returned after 3 years in the U.K. I didn't think **** thats expensive. Certain things are, others aren't. It's relative to the fact that we have 4 million people here in a landmass similar in size to the U.K.

The south island has the main ski areas however they are isolated from the main centres. Christchurch is the largest city in the south island and has 500,000 people. So things here are on a smaller scale. The closest mountain to there is 2 hours drive. So access is limited compared to Canada. The areas around Queenstown are where the main fields are. They are resort like (not in a Whistler way) and offer developing mtb trails in the summer.

It's a life style thing here. I live in the Wellington region and this is a ride I can access from home on my bike. Heres a taster of the riding: Wainui Trail Park similarly there is this close by too Rata Ridge we also have a trail park called makara which is a drive away: Ridgeline at Makara

Brainflex

211 automotive jobs on http://www.trademe.co.nz

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/CategoryAttributeSearchResults.aspx?search=1&mcat=5000-&sidebar=1&selected141=&140=&selected155=&154=5180&155=5181&153=&142=&144=-1&144=-1

113 on seek.co.nz

http://seek.co.nz/jobsearch/index.ascx?DateRange=999&catlocation=1017&catindustry=1225&catoccupation=1328

You can narrow your search down if you want. Automotive employment is on the rise at the moment. If you need any info email me. I am in Whakatane, great lifestyle here.

slimtubing
    Free Member

Me.

anagallis_arvensis

My bro is a diesel mechanic in NZ, although has mostly worked overseas. he keeps talking of setting up his own truck/agricultural business in NZ so there must be some work.

John_Key
    Free Member

I live here in wellington. good place with tracks all around the town and a reasonably decent 300m climb at my back door. I like it.

kiwijohn

I left to start a new life in a golden land of opportunity.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

just an adder, i lived in Christchurch for 6 months in 2004, it was very similar to U.K in terms of feel.

i was into IT and got put forward for quite a few jobs similar to that back in the U.K.

its very laid back over there which i loved, i would move back at the drop of a hat if i could prersuade the wife. you real feel apart form the rest of the world out there which i also loved.

i also did a whole season snowboarding at this place..

http://www.skiporters.co.nz/

as above about 2hr drive away but the drive is amazing, its a real small local run place and is great.

all the best!

deserter
    Free Member

I think we might go for a holiday and see what we think later on in the year, the thing that is putting me off Calgary is the fact it snowed 1st week of September and will probably be June before its properly cleared so thats 9 months of no proper biking, we don't want to come back to the UK

Tinbred
    Free Member

I posted on this forum four years ago that the best thing about my job was riding to work and some bugger told me to stop whinging and change it.

We shifted out to NZ and now have skiing, beach, and singletrack within half an hour. if you enter on a tourist visa (wirking visa has age restriction) there is just enough time to swop to a residents visa if you can line a job up quickly. you might want to look at Nelson as a location. Lots of trucks/heavy diesel plant here on account of the forestry.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Haha.. Tinbred, Do you know Jim and the guys at Village Cycles in Richmond? I worked there for a few months back in 2003-4.
    "Yeah, that lazy pom.. never turned up for work on time" is probably what he'd say about me…

Tinbred
    Free Member

They sold me my roadbike but I don't like to talk about that on here. 😳

Tinbred
    Free Member

Jim won shop of hte year for Richmond last year and has this plastered teh length of the shop.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Yeah.. they do have quite a road thing going. Loved that place. Learnt a bodge or two there! Was thinking the other day about the Gary Fisher Supercaliber that's probably still hanging up in "Siberia". There's a goldmine for retrobike hiding out the back…

Tinbred
    Free Member

they have still got it. along with the wooden rimmed track bikes.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Good! I still want that bike. I'm itching to go back to NZ in the next year or so… Pining for the fjords! Maybe I can twist his arm for it then.

NZCol

I live here, not that far from John_Key actually.

What can I say. Great quality of life. Even when works sh1t and life seems to suck the ar5e of a monkey i can ride my biek to work round pristine coastline with **** all traffic, have a decent flat white and then attempt to eat my own weight in date scone. Life is good.

It has pro's and con's. Your idea of a holiday is a fine one. BUt rememeber you'll be on holiday. If you hate work, can't find motivation to do stuff etc then you'll sprobably still feel the same but the sun shine will be at a different time of year. If you are open minded and want to try something different then you'll have a whopping good time.

Live in Wellington, it really is the finest city in the world and if the weather was awesome every fckr would want to live here so the random weather keeps it down to the hardy and good people 8)

Edit: something i did mean to say was that the trails here are lovely and WCC is right behind MTB development in the area. Huge ups to the Wainui trail fairies for producing some lush tracks in there – lovely. Makara as always is great and I now have some peachy singletrack less than 5 minutes ride from the house which is nice. 😆

John_Key
    Free Member

"I live here, not that far from John_Key actually", actually far too close

chopperT
    Free Member

You'll do fine as a diesel mechanic, esp. in the South Island.
    I have the feeling that people are hiring again, after a slow 18mths or so. Many of the aviation businesses at my local airfield are now hiring again, even allied trades ie: diesel/automotive.
    Tinbred, I grew up in Nelson, used to be in the same roadie club as Jim.

Coasting
    Free Member

I live on the West coast of the S.I.and have a great passion for this country,especially the S.I.Have lived in the UK and its a fair bit different.I work in the tourist industry and am constantly surprised how many brits are moving out here after a look around.Have a look around our website and youll get an idea of the region and on the activities page theres some good mtb pics of some of our classic back country rides.www.breakers.co.nz

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Who lives and works in New Zealand?’ is closed to new replies.