Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Who likes riding in the rain
  • stumpyjon

I don’t, or do I. If I’d known what the conditions were going to be like when I got up this morning I would’ve stayed in bed. Despite that we had a crackin good ride and got thouroughly soaked. Streams crossings with water up to the BB, water coming down, water coming up, several new streams that aren’t normally there and trails the resembled canals.

Weird, there’s no way I would have left the house in those conditions but already being in the saddle when the heavens open makes me feel properly alive.

uplink
    Free Member

I don’t mind as long as it’s not too cold with it

tang
    Free Member

No, as I wear glasses.

_tom_
    Free Member

Don’t mind a bit of drizzle and light rain but heavy rain isn’t fun. What I do love is thick mist, was riding through this yesterday and it was awesome.

Conditions at the top of the mountain were so good yesterday. Because its been raining a bit in the past few days, the bottoms of the berms are greasy mud but at the top they’re tacky hard mud. You drift into the berm on the greasy stuff then hit the grip which stops you from dying 😀

Tom83

I quite like it! It’s just the rain in the freezing cold when you lose feeling in your fingers that get to me!

hh45
    Free Member

Obviously Ii hate it but then as OP says wet rides give immense satisfaction and often the trail conditions in rain aren’t too bad. the worst things are heavy rain, wearing glasses and when cold gets added to the mix. You just need to get out and moving.

djglover
    Free Member

I’d never start a ride in the rain unless I was on a epic miles from home, running in the rain is great though

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ll tell you when I get back from Gisburn tomorrow.

grtdkad
    Free Member

As long is it’s not bouncing I don’t mind it.
    As often as not it means the walkers stay indoors 🙂

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I really like racing in the rain, you don’t overheat and lots of different lines open up in the mud. Also i fee like i can ride fire-roads faster when they have a slick layer of wetness on them.

philfive
    Free Member

rode around hebden this morning and it was hoofing it down but enjoyed it.

kath2702
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go out if it was raining but if I’m already out and it starts to rain then I don’t mind.

Diane
    Free Member

Don’t mind too much – far better than walking in it like today!

donsimon
    Free Member

Getting used to it. 🙁

andrewh
    Free Member

I’m with DJ, hate riding in the rain, but for runing the worse the weather the more I enjoy it (rain, snow, wind, hail, love them all)

foxyrider
    Free Member

Don’t like starting in the the rain but getting wet during a ride not my favorite but not an issue – sometimes does make you feel more virtuous ? 😉

mtbfix

I don’t mind so long as the rain starts once I am out. Struggle to get out the door if it is raining already.

Had the pleasure this afternoon of a slog over a freshly harrowed field of Chiltern clag in driving rain. ‘Must be autumn’, I thought to myself.

lesa
    Free Member

Riding along the canal yesterday and the heavens opened got drenched but did not spoil the fun of a ride on my bike.

Jamie
    Free Member

Riding, not really. Running, on the other hand, I fuggin’ love doing in the rain.

carlos
    Free Member

If I’ve made arrangments to meet mates then I’ll go out no matter what. If I’m going solo then I struggle to get out if it’s already raining and will tend to go on the rollers, but if I’m already out then it’s all part of it

drain

Quite like it as it blows all the cobwebs away. But not when it’s got a driving gale behind it. Switch that round for walking though, love being out for a stroll when it’s blowy.

BenjiM

I don’t mind so long as the rain starts once I am out. Struggle to get out the door if it is raining already.

This is true for me too. If I’m meeting someone to ride with and it’s lashing it down I’ve no problem with the motivation side of things. On my own however it’s a different story. However when it’s been heavy and driving with the wind like some commutes over the last week or so, it can be painful on the eyes, especially when you wear contacts.

kayak23

I love it, so long as its not that wet rain.

oldgit
    Free Member

No sweat.

nuke

I wouldn’t go out if it was raining but if I’m already out and it starts to rain then I don’t mind.

Yep, agree with this.

Don’t care how wet the rest of me gets as long as my feet stay dry. Hate riding with wet feet and i’m talking where you can feel it pooling in your shoes.

antigee

quite enjoy if already out but will rarely start a ride if raining hard and doesn’t look like clearing – usually will go for a run instead just because after a couple of hours in rain the fun is over -quite enjoy that feeling of the weather is rubbish but i’m happy

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Does this answer the question?

marco
    Free Member

Love it, very envigorating.
    running in the rain is better though, even better when its snowing. feel like the only person outside. love it

rotten
    Free Member

Got to as I live in Scotland.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Personally – I love it.

I draw the line at cold AND wet though.

My missus & friends just shake their heads – I love that feeling of doing something they just dont get!

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Ming the Merciless – Member

Does this answer the question?Why are you getting your bike set in concrete? 😆

crush83
    Free Member

Quite like it, had a awesome ride round cwmcarn the other week and it was hurling it down. My feet kept dry until I smashed through some puddles and the water ran down my legs and into my shoes 🙁

tablesalt
    Free Member

I just been ridding in the rain and the dark at the same time.

bella
    Free Member

Another for not being too keen on starting in the rain but once I am a mile in it all good. Some of my best days have been in the mud but have usually been lift/uplift assisted. Wet rock is usually fine except for the green slimy ones which are death on a stick.

dadster21
    Free Member
    v8ninety

Don’t mind at all, although I echo the previously mentioned aversion to cold as well. The glasses thing is a serious PITA though, someone should invent little wipers or something…

mintimperial

I like it, generally speaking. Not always, but so long as it’s not really windy or cold, and I’m not knackered, it’s all fine. I have to go a bit slower and have to stop to clean my specs from time to time, but there’s always fewer people about when it’s chucking it down and you get to feel like some sort of hardman for going out riding in crap conditions.

The worst thing about wet weather is coming back home to a stir-crazy three year-old who’s been stuck inside staring at the rain for a few hours…

stumpyjon

I’m lucky, I wear contacts so if it gets really bad I can whip off my riding glassess.

Daveyboywonder – you’re gonna get wet at Gsburn tomorrow even if it’s not raining. It wasn’t muddy today, just submerged, huge puddles and the streams were mental.

I have admit to being rather smug today with my gortex boots on, although that wore off half way round when even they filled up. Still the good riding and company, aided by a good meal, pint and an open fire in the D & P has left me with a very virtuous feeling 8)

TiRed

Rain – love it, more the better. Starting out in heavy rain just takes attitude. Cold damp fog – hate it – freezes to the bone and I never can get warm.

bigpole
    Free Member

I have spent much on clothing that keeps me comfortable whilst wet, as we(the uk)live in the wettest place in the universe! It rains I ride, but wind and rain i can’t f*&$ing stand it!esp head wind and rain omfg i hate it!!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Who likes riding in the rain’ is closed to new replies.