Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Who likes Mexican food?
  • DaRC_L

Yep love Mexican food – but learnt to cook it in Texas and can’t face the rubbish in most UK towns…
    still at least Top Gear went for the older, gentler Mexican stereotype rather than the modern drug / people smuggling murdering stereotype!

LHS
    Free Member

Nobody, but NOBODY can do breakfast…

[cough]bull****{/cough]

😉

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Are we talking TexMex or real Mexican food?

scruff
    Free Member

Amazingly Stafford used to have a really good independant Mexican place with a train track hung off the ceiling, it was ace. The chef was a proper Aztec looking bloke aswell, he was certainly from South America as was the Tequila. It wasnt popular enough as everyone just wants curry, its now some Indain / Chinese mish mash rubbish 🙁

organic355
    Free Member

You can’t beat it washed down with a nice Don Julio or `Respodada

Don Julio (the brand) is the doggies of tequila, I prefer the Anejo (type of tequlia that is aged or vintage) to the Reposado[i] (rested) though, but all good.

Tequila is usually bottled in one of five categories:
    Blanco (“white”) or plata (“silver”): white spirit, un-aged and bottled or stored immediately after distillation, or aged less than two months in stainless steel or neutral oak barrels;
    Joven (“young”) or oro (“gold”): a mixture of blanco or silver tequila and reposado tequila (Ex. José Cuervo Oro).
    Reposado (“rested”): aged a minimum of two months, but less than a year in oak barrels of any size;
    Añejo (“aged” or “vintage”): aged a minimum of one year, but less than three years in small oak barrels;
    Extra Añejo (“extra aged” or “ultra aged”): aged a minimum of three years in oak barrels.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Nobody, but NOBODY can do breakfast or dessert (or CAKE!!!!) like the British.

Aah, the British “dessert”……..the suet based Spotted Dick.

Could there be any greater culinary delight, anywhere in the world, than a steamed or boiled lump of
    lard ? …….not when you add breadcrumbs and currants to it ! 8)

Give me a meal of gristle and soggy vegetables – all cooked beyond recognition, followed by a cholesterol infused, coronary-stimulating lump of boiled saturated fat, over your poncy fancy French food…….any day of the week.

LHS
    Free Member

Yes, and the full english breakfast. Oh please. Ever had a breakfast burrito, huevos rancheros??

trailmonkey

British food is fantastic, thoroughly reflects our ability to mix and match influences from around the globe and still retains some culinary marvels from these shores like our fantastic cheese and sausage. You’re just as likely to see pan fried scallops with chorizo on the menu as you are fish and chips.

Anyone who thinks French cuisine is somehow intrinsically superior has never had to suffer the horrors of andouielette(sp ?).

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

British food is fantastic………You’re just as likely to see pan fried scallops with chorizo on the menu as you are fish and chips

Yeah right ….. I think you’ll find that chorizo isn’t actually “British”.

Unless of course you want to claim that “number 64b – Prawns with Black Bean Sauce, two springrolls, and a portion of egg fried rice” is British food ? In which case I know a few takeaways which ought to get done under the Trades Description Act.

anjs
    Free Member

My wife is also a texan so have been spoiled. She also does great cajun and creole having gone to “school” in New Orleans

mogrim

People are right, british food is crap. We’re happy to eat crap. We don’t complain and we don’t take pride in it.

Don’t agree with that – except maybe the no complaining part. There’s a reason Nigella, Jamie and co. are all so popular – people are genuinely interested in food and cooking.

British food was crap – I shudder to think of the tinned ravioli etc. I used to eat as a kid – but since then has come on leaps and bounds. Sure, it’s hard to identify a “national cuisine” similar to Italian food, say, but that’s because modern British cooking isn’t afraid to steal from other cultures and adapt it. Unlike ernie, I certainly think chorizo is British – just like the potato, the carrot, turkey, and all the other foodstuffs that we’ve imported over the years.

Incidentally, “Italian” food is a pretty modern concept – I thoroughly recommend this excellent book – Delizia. It certainly makes you realise just how false the whole idea of national cuisine really is.

trailmonkey

Yeah right ….. I think you’ll find that chorizo isn’t actually “British”.

Thanks for letting me in on the secret ernie, I really thought it was for a moment.

If you’d bothered to read, I said that we

mix and match influences from around the globe

which is kind of like what the Italians did with noodles to make pasta or whoever it was did that wonderful thing with spuds to make Rosti. To my palatte, British food is now hugely varied and tasty, not stuck in some 1930’s school dinner kitchen timewarp where you seem to be with your spotted dick (fnarr fnarr).

Anyhow,I’m off to boil the life out of some veg and have some bland white fish in parsley sauce, just to keep the stereotype alive.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why don’t you sod off to a country that dishes out all that foreign muck then ?

Oh that’s marvellous that, isn’t it? 🙄

Thing is, what actually is ‘British’ food? I mean, if you went abroad, would you find a ‘British’ restaurant, like you would an Italian, or Indian, or French one? I mean a proper restaurant, not a ‘Full-English’ caff on the Costa Del Boy.

allthepies
    Free Member

Give me a meal of gristle and soggy vegetables – all cooked beyond recognition, followed by a cholesterol infused, coronary-stimulating lump of boiled saturated fat, over your poncy fancy French food…….any day of the week.

Thought you’d be a beer and sandwiches type of chap ernie.

donsimon
    Free Member

Why don’t you sod off to a country that dishes out all that foreign muck then ?

I did and don’t miss anything.

trailmonkey

Thing is, what actually is ‘British’ food? I mean, if you went abroad, would you find a ‘British’ restaurant, like you would an Italian, or Indian, or French one? I mean a proper restaurant, not a ‘Full-English’ caff on the Costa Del Boy.

Is a fair point, however, how many of the Italian, French, Indian restaurants that you find here are actually authentic ? Not that many would be my guess.
    British food generally suffers a bad press and that may have been justified in the past, but I can assure you that I’ve eaten my way around Europe and I’ve had good and bad food everywhere.

Right now, I think British food, ie food cooked and eaten in Britain is usually pretty good.

mogrim

Is a fair point, however, how many of the Italian, French, Indian restaurants that you find here are actually authentic ? Not that many would be my guess.

Define “authentic”, too – there’s no such thing as “authentic” Italian food, it’s a lie. A delicious one, but a lie nonetheless. “Indian” cuisine is unlikely, as well – India has only existed for 50 years or so. I find it very hard to imagine that there’s an “authentic” or “definitive” recipe for chicken korma, but it seems unlikely.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

India has only existed for 50 years or so

😀 It’s been around for a lot longer than since independence from Britain !
    …….whatever it’s been called – Hindu kingdoms, East Indies, British Raj, Republic of India, etc.
    And so has it’s culture.

The term “Indian cuisine” refers not to geopolitical government structures, but to the means of preparing food according to specific cultural needs.

mogrim

The term “Indian cuisine” refers not to geopolitical government structures, but to the means of preparing food according to specific cultural needs.

Of course it does, which is why chorizo is as British as carrots.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think you might confusing ‘ingredients’ with ‘recipes’. Still, never mind.

chewkw
    Free Member

Who likes Mexican food?

Don’t know and never tried it … probably edible like pizza.

🙄

p/s: ahem … can’t compare with food from South East Asia or Asia. No way hosay.

trail_rat
    Free Member

worryingly a bit too much …..

off to texas for 3 or 4 weeks end of the month – dangerous …..

trailmonkey

Define “authentic”, too

Ok, authentic as in what is being eaten in that country at that time, but I do tend to agree with the point that you’re making. Nation making very rarely has much to do with reality.

Also, thinking about it, why should this rationale –

, if you went abroad, would you find a ‘British’ restaurant, like you would an Italian, or Indian, or French one ? I mean a proper restaurant, not a ‘Full-English’ caff on the Costa Del Boy.

– have anything to do with the state of British food ? I can’t recall ever seeing a Croatian restaurant on my travels ( I’m sure they exist) but it doesn’t mean that Croatian food is bad. Im fact I’ve been and it’s bloomin’ lovely.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Who likes Mexican food?’ is closed to new replies.