Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Who knows their London eateries?
  • Kip

Me and Kip Jr are visiting London for the day in October. We are staying at YHA St. Pancras before getting the Eurostar the next day. The thing is I’d like to go out for breakfast at a nice independent cafe that does decent food at a reasonable price. Kip Jr is 5 and loves porridge for brekkie so somewhere that does that would be good.

There are so many options around that a recommendation would be lovely. Rather not do the whole Costa/Pret a Manger thing just because I can do that here!

Any other recommendations for eating places for our tea on the night we stay also would be handy. We’re definitely going to the Tower of London so anything somewhere around there or between there and the YHA maybe. However, we have all the time we like so I’m open to other, not too much of a hassle, options.

Basically my knowledge of London is pants and I’m relying on the Singletrackworld collective to help me out.

Cheers.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Borough Market’s close to ToL….

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Breakfast in that there london ??

Only one place to go at the moment …. Cereal Killer Cafe

😆

senorj

I’d second Borough market.

The cereal killer cafe was attacked at the weekend in an
    anti-gentrification protest. I suspect ro5ey knew that. 🙂

binners

Breakfast of champions

Then, I believe the locals like a kebab….

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Never been …and it might (probably will) be naff in the extreme.. but in St Katherine’s Dock (just east of ToL) there is a Medieval Banqueting place … might be good for a 5 year old … ?

Shad Thames … just over Tower Bridge and down on the left alone the river line is …. Pont de la Tour £££££ …Chop house ££££ and an All Bar One £££ …. all of which will not be any good for a 5 year old but with the right table the view of Tower Bridge is fantastic.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Nivens 🙂

Andy_B
    Kip

Sorry, was at work and logged off so unable to read your replies.

Nivens looks nice – Thanks cbmotorsport as does does Caravan kings cross – cheers Andy_B. That’s the sort of thing I’m looking for.

I have no idea about Cereal Killer Cafe (been a bit out of the loop recently) but a quick search suggests that no, we won’t be going there!

Loving the look of Borough Market too, so thanks for those ideas. Will do a bit of in-depth research as it’s always good to at least have an idea where to go, instead of walking aimlessly which we usually seem to end up doing!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

+1 caravan, close to you and great place.
    Honest Burger for your tea, again nice and close and great place

MrSmith
    Free Member

Caravan or try Notes and Granger and co which are very close.
    borough market is full of tourists and people queuing at monmouth for average coffee (the notes coffee cart in the market is far superior) if you insist on borough then Elliots but a the foodie walk to Malby St would be my choice, once you have had breakfast then it’s on to a St John donut and finish up with a kernel brewery beer.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Try http://www.thebreakfastclubcafes.com/locations not cheap but very good, tends to have big queues and sadly you can’t book in advance.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Not independent, but Le Pain Quotidien has a lovely and varied menu. There’s a few of them in That London, including one in St Pancras station. We always make an effort to pop in for breakfast when we’re down there.

For lunch or evening scoff, our current favorite is Wahaca, a sort of Mexican version of Wagamama (for want of a better description), co-owned by ex Masterchef winner Thomasina Miers. Fresh, healthy and damn tasty little plates of food…so you get lots of different stuff. Ace.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I mentioned Borough Market because what 5yr old kid wouldn’t like looking at all the stalls full of food and have an “old London” feel. Steer clear of Monmouth Coffee as it’ll be packed, I have no reason why because the coffee is average IMO, but still as it’s right on the edge of the Market it’s a good place to pop into (if you can)
    There is a Chocolate Cafe very close, above another cafe but you have to look out for it.. It’s run by Hotel Chocolat, so maybe a website lookup for the address but it’s not that hard to find, just hard to describe..

MrSmith
    Free Member

i dont understand why people queue for the breakfast club in soho when there are hundreds of places within a few mins walk serving great food, it must be listed in some guide book or something in a list of ’10 best of’ thats usually out of date and compiled by an intern using google.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Who knows their London eateries?’ is closed to new replies.