Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • who is running XT 2×11 with 11-42 Cassette? any issues?
  • MTB-Rob
    Free Member

as above really,
    done a search but not much coming up that’s not 5+ mths old.

Just like to see who is running that combo and if there been any issues,
    chain line/noise that I see might be a issue.
    GSG rear mech or SG,
    As shimano say 11-42 is for the 1×11 set up, just can’t see why it should not work with 2×11 set up?
    be good to get some feedback.

Thanks

honourablegeorge

Why? You can’t possibly need that range.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

I could as so unfit at the mo!
    But not for me, some one who like riding off road in the alps with kit strapped to the bike, so what’s lowest gears with a double.
    but also interested in any feed back etc.

scotroutes

I’m assuming that there’s an issue with rear mech capacity that prevents the 42 being used with a double up front. My 2×11 runs fine with the 40T cassette.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Sure it will work on the 42T, think it might not take up the chain slack when in small chainring and small cogs at the back, but should be to much of a issue if you know how to use gears.
    Just wondered if anyone was running that combo to confirm or deny my thoughts.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The cassette is a massive weight penalty over a decent 10sp. The current spacing on the stock front rings is smaller than on 10sp so not sure of front mech capacity and how that impacts overall.
    Probably worth doing the gear calcs to see if it is actually much lower.

sam_underhill

I think the mech doesn’t have the range to run a double with the 11-42.
    I’ve got the double with 11-40 and is plenty wide enough range.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

well the rear SGS mech has the capacity (47T) and I am after 41T,
    The GS cage is 39T so only 2 out, so I would say that would work also, just have a slack chain in the small small combo, and the institutions say not to use that combo anyway and the rider is switch on not to use it.

Like I said just wondered if anyone tried it yet!

ampthill

The GS cage is 39T so only 2 out, so I would say that would work also, just have a slack chain in the small small combo, and the institutions say not to use that combo anyway and the rider is switch on not to use it.

Not being able to run small small is now loss or even the next sprocket or so

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘who is running XT 2×11 with 11-42 Cassette? any issues?’ is closed to new replies.