Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Who is pre-ordering a Google Nexus 7?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Looks tempting for the money (£159 = 8GB / £199 = 16GB):

Built by Asus, the Nexus 7 packs a quad-core Tegra 3 processor and a 12-core graphics processor with a 7-inch 1280 x 800 HD screen. Claimed battery life is good for nine hours of video viewing.

…it also looks like it has a GPS chip, so could be handy as a SatNav.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/27/3120992/asus-nexus-7-android-tablet-hands-on

Edit: Chrome will use HTML5 over Flash, Darcy, but imagine 3rd party browsers will allow you to use it.

Edit 2: No HDMI output or SD reader.

highclimber
    Free Member

does it have a HDMI output?

retro83
    Free Member

Looks good, very keenly priced too. I’ve been very happy with my Galaxy Nexus so hopefully this will be equally well implemented.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Does it have a parallel port socket for my old printer?

Jamie
    Free Member

Does it have a parallel port socket for my old printer?

No, but I am fairly sure I can find somewhere to stick it.

_tom_
    Free Member

I would be tempted for that price although no SD reader or hdmi output is a bit annoying.

footflaps

How often do you have to wind it up?

bikebouy
    Free Member

“is interested”

When is it out?
    Do I have to wait for Santa to lug them over the Ice?
    Will my bum look big in it?

wwaswas

How often do you have to wind it up?

Just say ‘I wish I could have afforded an iPad’ to it three times a day to keep it wound up 😉

footflaps

wwaswas 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Just say ‘I wish I could have afforded an iPad’ to it three times a day to keep it wound up

Buy 2. That way you have spent the same, and if you tape them together its bigger….and possibly faster… although I have not looked into the science behind this statement.

AlexSimon

That is cheap.
    I guess that’s going to kill off any other android tablet >£100

I guess I’d better make sure my app designs work well at 7″ 1280×800!

thepurist

Hmmm – does it come in white? 😉

Cougar

Edit 2: No HDMI output

I’d expect it to have MHL (HDMI over uUSB) at the very least.

IHN

Why do these things have such piffling little amounts of memory? I have more than 16gb worth of music, and my collection isn’t that massive. Add in a few films/TV programs and 16BG is useless really, never mind 8GB.

Flash memory is getting cheaperer and cheaperer. Hell, you can get a 32GB SD card for less than £20 retail, so why do these tablets not have at least 64GB?

afrothunder88

It is a bit annoying to see a £50 price hike for 16gb rather than 8 seeing as the equivalent amount of money can pickup a 64gb MicroSD. If it had a microSD slot I wouldn’t hesitate to order it today.

Still might have to pick one up to replace my Advent Vega.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Give it time. This time next year you’ll be able to buy one that does twice as much for under £100.

Is 32GB the upper limit for an SD card or will those get exponentially better as well?

IA

32Gb is the limit on the SDHC spec.

SDXC cards (a different spec, same physically, not backward compatible) theoretically goes up to 2TB but the cards are only up to 64Gb.

that’s a summary of course, more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#SDXC

IHN

Give it time

I keep hearing this, but over the three or so years that tablets have been emerging the cost of memory has come down and down, so why isn’t the capacity on tablets going up and up?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Planned obsolecense.

AlexSimon

I guess it depends on whether you want it for home or away.
    If at home, have all your storage elsewhere. My 16Gb iPad is only about a third full, because everything is either on the internet or on my NAS.

If away, I can understand the frustration. A card slot would have solved the problem, but probably pushed it above the ‘magic’ $200 point (they also removed HDMI to meet that price).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Unexpandable memory is the same PITA/extortion as apple are doing so waiting for at least an SD card.

The thinking is also though that you don’t carry All of your music etc you leave it in the cloud. (currently how I’m working)

Like the Nexus One phone it’s there to test the water/inspire/set benchmark for the other manufacturers and demo the tech.

Will be getting Mark II I reckon

atlaz
    Free Member

Interesting. Waiting to see the price of the Surface before I buy a tablet. Not got any android devices though so might be interesting to get one.

footflaps

I think they want you tethered to their cloud rather than free to use it offline.

IA

. Waiting to see the price of the Surface before I buy a tablet

Surface will be more.

The price of these things is dominated by the display/battery, smaller display = smaller battery = cheaper. Also google have a vested interest in cheap/free commodity hardware – it’s not where they make their money on android. They’re on record as saying the N7 is being sold at cost.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/28/3122811/nexus-7-manufacturing-cost-design-time/in/2885052

Of course, MS could “do an xbox” and heavily subsidise the surface, to make their money on Office.

It was *years* before MS made profit on making consoles at all. In fact, it was such a money sink I dunno if they’ve made a profit overall yet to balance the losses? I’d have to do the numbers, and I CBA just to argue on the internet 😉

Bimbler
    Free Member

If it had a microSD slot I wouldn’t hesitate to order it today.

This, shame.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

What’s the socket on the left? Maybe I’m blind but they only mention the micro-usb and headphone socket in the article

Cougar

Why do these things have such piffling little amounts of memory? I have more than 16gb worth of music,

Do you really need your entire collection with you at all times? Back in the days of the CD Walkman, did you walk around with a briefcase full of discs wherever you went? With the least efficient, lossless, uncompressed encoding you could come up with you’d still get a dozen albums into 8Gb of space, and at a reasonable compression rate you’d get a hundred.

I agree absolutely that there should be more storage, and a £40 price hike for an additional 8Gb of NVRAM which I could buy as SD at retail prices for about five quid is taking the proverbial, but reasoning that you can’t fit everything you own onto it seems a little churlish to me.

More pertinent for me would be, can I fit all my maps, applications and games (which will often be larger than their phone versions if the iPad is anything to judge by) on there?

IA

That’s a mini-HDMI socket, but doesn’t appear on the specs, so probably just on the pre-production ones/for demos etc.

Cougar

It looks like mini-HDMI, but I read somewhere that there’s a connector for a docking station, so it might be that?

IA

No, docking connector is a row of dots on the side.

Also all the hands-on etc explicitly mention all connectors….except the HDMI so I assume are told it’s not on the final ones.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Back in the days of the CD Walkman, did you walk around with a briefcase full of discs wherever you went?

Check you with your La-De-Da CD walkman, some of us had tapes bought from that there market, 3 for a fiver

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo[/video]

Cougar

some of us had tapes bought from that there market, 3 for a fiver

The Maxell ones that came with a free set of headphones?

IHN

Do you really need your entire collection with you at all times?

Well, as storage costs so little, why shouldn’t I? I do on my 6 year old 32GB iPod, and on my phone (thanks to a 32gb SDHC card), which means I can listen to whatever I want, when I want, instead of thinking ‘what will I want to listen to today’ and pi$$ing around syncing a selection of albums.

Back in the days of the CD Walkman, did you walk around with a briefcase full of discs wherever you went?

No, but we’re no back in those days, are we? I thought things were supposed to have moved on.

IA

Well, as storage costs so little, why shouldn’t I?

The counter argument is, when data access costs so little and is so prevalent, why should you bother? 😉

(playing devil’s advocate here, I get your point!)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I do on my 6 year old 32GB iPod

My music is 33gb!!

I used to listen to my music collection now I listen to spotify and don’t access my stored music.

(devils advocate here too)

Cougar

Well, as storage costs so little, why shouldn’t I?

we’re no back in those days, are we? I thought things were supposed to have moved on

Sure, I don’t disagree. But that said, you’ve still got a device that can hold half of your entire music collection and fit in your pocket. I dunno, you’re right of course, but I can’t shake the feeling that it’s a little crazy that we’re then all sat here going “well, what about the other half?!” Memory is relatively dirt cheap, but I guess part of me is still fairly in awe that we’re anywhere near where we are at all.

Smartphones have come of age in the last couple of years, and are finally starting to deliver on the promises made by the old Windows Mobiles, Palms and Psions. Every time I’ve bought one I’ve thought, this is it, this will change my life, and usually been crushingly disappointed. Finally, I think it has.

This week I’ve been in London. Before leaving the flat, I can get up-to-the-second bus timings on my phone to see what’s due at the stop outside. I see that there’s a bus in a minute and another in ten. I know that I’ve no chance of making the first but can finish my coffee at my leisure and still easily make the second. On the bus to the Tube station I don’t know how to get to where I’m going but I can fire up a Tube route planner. It tells me the optimal route, taking into account engineering works which mean I have to take a bus replacement service. I text my OH and let her know the time I’ll be arriving. Once at the Tube, the platform signs are down, but that’s ok because TFL expose this information to an API; to wit, there’s an app for that. I know now there’s a Tube due in two minutes.

On the tube, it’s a boring ride, so I stick my headphones in and settle back with some music and an eBook.

At my destination stop, via the bus replacement which was easy to find thanks to the transport guide, I use GPS powered mapping software to work out how best to walk to where I’m going. But I remember, my OH wanted me to pick up some stuff from a chemist, so I search the map for the nearest Boots. There’s three nearby, and I need a bigger store rather than just a corner pharmacy, so I pull up photographs of each storefront to see what they look like. I walk over to the largest, and on my way I check for any offers they’re doing, getting a code for 10% off my next purchase.

I leave Boots, and spot an awesome looking statue opposite. I think, my photography-geek mates would love that; so I take a picture, hit a button and upload it to Twitter, where anyone there who knows me can see it instantly.

I hook up with my OH. I’m a few minutes late, but I was sharing my location so she could see from her phone that I was only round the corner. We’re going for dinner, and in the mood for Italian, so I pull up a list of Italian restaurants, ordered by distance from my current location. I can see one a couple of minutes’ walk away but I know nothing about it. I go to their website to check the menu (yes, they have a reasonable veggie selection), then go to a reviews app to read what people have to say about it. Mediocre food, terrible service, the one across the road is far better. Good job we checked, we’ll go there instead then.

All this from a little black box in the palm of my hand. Man, I love living in the future.

verses

Smartphones have come of age in the last couple of years, and are finally starting to deliver on the promises made by the old Windows Mobiles, Palms and Psions. Every time I’ve bought one I’ve thought, this is it, this will change my life, and usually been crushingly disappointed. Finally, I think it has.

I’ve been thinking exactly the same, I had a Palm IIIx back in the day and I really wanted it to be so much more than it was. I have a HTC Desire and it’s what I wanted that Palm IIIx to be. In fact when my Desire died in a rain storm recently I weighed up the options that are available now and decided that a 2nd hand Desire to replace it was the best option. The newer phones are quicker and have nicer screens, but for now the Desire does all I need 🙂 (Plus I’m just as likely to break this while out on my bike so I’d rather destroy a 2nd hand ‘cheap’ phone than a state of the art uber-phone)

All this from a little black box in the palm of my hand. Man, I love living in the future.

I keep calling it The Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy.

GWick
    Free Member

I am once again disappointed in the dollar to sterling conversion as is the case with all electronic goods it seems. $199 equates to about £127 and not £159 + £9.99 P&P.

The lack of micro SD is also a pain but you could use a flash drive with micro USB to USB adapter. Not ideal but at least you could transfer on the on the move rather than tethering to the “cloud”.

Acer are also launching the Iconia A110 (replacing the A100) which has pretty much the same specs, Tegra 3 Quad, multicore GPU, HMDI out, Micro SD slot but it does not have an IPS screen. Again touted at $199 so may wait and see what these finally sell at.

Acer Iconia A110

verses

I am once again disappointed in the dollar to sterling conversion as is the case with all electronic goods it seems. $199 equates to about £127 and not £159 + £9.99 P&P.

£127 + 20% VAT is much nearer £159 though. And those in the US will have to pay sales tax on top of the $199 depending on what state they’re in anyway.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Who is pre-ordering a Google Nexus 7?’ is closed to new replies.