Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Who is currently Britain's best sports person?
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

To be top of a sport when it counts, where there are a huge number of people competing and to win in all sorts of ways puts Mo Farah at the top of the list for me.

tennis has the extreme physical exertion (remember when conners was taken off at the end of a match on a stretcher with drips attached), very high levels of skill, and a massive mental element.

Many of these other sports only have one or two of these factors compared, it seems to me.

noltae
    Free Member

Murray – Greatest British Player of all time ..

edhornby

Froome is no one-trick pony but the tour de France is so big that if you’re in with a shout of winning it you focus everything to do so, even over the classics as much as I hate to say that.

Even still, my vote is Jessica Ennis Hill, she is monstrously good as what she does

epicyclo

noltae – Member
    Murray – Greatest British Player of all time ..

His Britishness was shining today. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Murray is not and has never been the greatest tennis payer of his generation. He ha sbeen hurt massively by the greatness of novak and rodger before him

Whoever our greatest sportsperson is its not the perennial runner up even though he is amazing at doing it. I mean no disrespect to his achievements whichare exceptional. However, they are dwarfed by federer and now Novak. This means he cannot be the greatest.

aracer
    Free Member

You can’t really compare those two from that perspective. Froome lived in southern Africa until he turned professional and I don’t think has ever lived here – his only connection is his parents and it’s a passport of convenience.

Farah moved here when he was 8 developed as an athlete here and lived here until he was an international athlete – only moving abroad in order to go to the best place to train, which is something plenty of British sports people do. Farah is definitely British – personally I don’t really consider Froome to be.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Agree with aracer Mo is a British as can be[ or as British as Wiggo if you want another sports example] Froome its a flag of convenience and his family roots. I doubt he considers it home at all whereas Mo does consider here home.

muggomagic

If we’re bringing back superstars then I’m going for Anthony Joshua. When they did the series just after the olympics, he was way better than everyone else. Even smashed Mo Farah and the Brownlees in a sprint.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I was going to say Joshua was coming up in the rails on McIlroy, Hamiltion and Murray. On reflection I would add Mo to the mix, as he excels in a sport that every man in the world can do and probably would do if they had the natural talent. So on that basis. It really only comes down to Mo and Joshua.

Pure natural talent that would shine without coaching.

mikey74
    Free Member

Even smashed Mo Farah and the Brownlees in a sprint.

I’m not sure that’s any claim to fame: Mo and the Brownlees are endurance athletes, not sprinters.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Pretty sure Mo would kill him in a 400m though, even if he’d just done a marathon!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Indeed its no surprise an endurance athlete is not that explosive nor is it surprising a boxer is explosive and quite quick. that said I dont fancy Tyson Furys chance in a sprint against anyone…perhaps he can beat Binners in a race to the pie shop or the pub though 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Who is currently Britain's best sports person?’ is closed to new replies.