Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Who is building new MTB tracks at the moment?
  • lister

I work at an outdoor ed centre and we’ve got some time coming up for staff development.
    We were wondering if we could go and volunteer/help out with a track build somewhere, in exchange for stealing some building tips for our own woods. We could then get some staff training and riding in too.
    Ideally we’d be helping out a ‘professional’ build rather than some locals with spades, unless they’re established and building a proper facility.

Cheers for any suggestions…

weeksy

USe Rowan Sorrel (sp?)

He’ll build you Swinley Forest… even at Penhydd 🙂

euans2
    Free Member

I know the Nevis Ranges are building 2 new trails, might be a bit far to travel though

scruff
    Free Member

Cannock Chase DH dig day 26th January. Not new trails but fixing old trails with new features / improvements.

lister

Nevis range from Pembrokeshire could be a bit far! IS it where the current Fort William tracks are?

Cannock could be doable, are there other dig days during the year? Ideally we’d be helping with new stuff, but maintenance could be good too…

We built some short bits of singletrack last year (we’re a NT centre and the rangers on the estate started them) but there are techniques like drainage and getting the right gradient/flow that we’d like to learn.

gazc
    Free Member

EDIT: just seen you’re the other end of the country!

wiggles
    Free Member

Think they are still building in cwmcarn, or bpw have a full time trail repair team.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Was going to say Cwmcarn, just beaten to it. Aren’t they building a long new trail at Afan called Blade or something?

joespencer33
    Free Member

Singletraction put something up the other day about Clixby’s doing a couple of weeks in Dalby, Offering pay too I believe.

scruff
    Free Member

Lister, Chase trails XC is (generally) every Sunday and some Thursdays, currently finishing off a new section. DH dig (generally) is every month. ST off here will help you out with any info.

Trekster

You could try Andy Hopkins, 7Stanes trail guru @ Ae. I think there are some repair works going on. These works are contracted out to Tally of UpliftScotland.

Dumfries and Borders Forest District

Ae Village
    Parkgate
    Dumfries
    DG1 1QB

Tel : 01387 860247
    Fax : 01387 860312
    email: dumfries&borders@forestry.gsi.gov.uk

chestrockwell

There’s regular dig days up at Gisburn, once or twice a month. As mentioned, Singletraction always have something on the go as well.

akaskittles
    Free Member

I heard a rumor that Swinley Forest is getting a fresh dose of BLACK DH trails… not sure though

saxabar
    Free Member

Antur Stiniog are building at the mo’

st

Lister, as Scruff says we have build days every week on our XC trails at Cannock with monthly days in the DH site. Mostly upgrading / repairing existing with some new stuff. However even when building on existing trails this is more than just toshing material into holes, it’s about reinstating the trails properly.

My email is in my profile if you want to send any questions over.

Stu.

lister

Cheers folks, not sure when we’ll get away, it depends on funding. Lots of people to email and talk to though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Who is building new MTB tracks at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.