Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Who hates being owned on their expensive bikes by people on basic single speeds
  • birdl123
    Free Member

Title says it all.

Let the battle commence.

_tom_
    Free Member

me.

Northwind

I can honestly say it’s never happened. But I’m sure it will sometime, after all I’ve “owned” people on expensive bikes on my rigid 1×9 carrera and I’m not awesome. All part of the fun isn’t it, there’s always someone better and faster.

rOcKeTdOg

What do you call expensive?

40mpg

I’m the one on the singlespeed 🙂

uselesshippy
    Free Member

And to make it worse, they don’t have to clean there bikes when they get home.

matt_outandabout

Define ‘owned’ please.

wrecker
    Free Member

Never happened to me either. It’s a myth perpetuated by people with fragile egos and under developed genitals.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Some people ride faster than others. Some people like to bimble, some don’t. There will be no owning here today.

zippykona

Where has this ‘owned’ business come from.
    Can I put forward a motion that it is stopped right now.
    Thank you.

druidh
    Free Member

It’s riding bikes, not racing. Who cares who overtakes who?

hugor
    Free Member

Happens to me all the time particularly on my Wed night group ride.
    Whats worse is when they pass you up a climb and start a conversation which you can’t reply to as you can’t breathe.
    A friend of mine used to enjoy whistling tunes during climbs whilst I was desperately gasping for air.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

Title says it all.

Guess you have just been owned then…..loser 😆

andypaul99
    Free Member

Never overtaken but they do get close on some singletrack sections.

Basil

Go back two years, wibble wibble back in time segway (sic)
    In my 40’s,got some winter weight, had a bonus check.
    Yeti ASR C carbon front and rear triangle, the one with the seat mast.
    I am now the cycling equivalent of the fat guy in the 911!!!!! N

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s never about the bike, it’s always about the rider.

Everyone do what they want to do. Don’t feel bad or look for fault in yourself or others.

It’s meant to be fun. If it isn’t fun, do something else.

jameso

I don’t understand this question. Is there some sort of cycling-related slavery going on somewhere?

Basil

P.S
    Anybody want to buy a Yeti ASR C large? £1000

MrSmith
    Free Member

unless you are world no1 there is always somebody faster than you.
    deal with it.

Northwind

MrSmith – Member

unless you are world no1 there is always somebody faster than you.

And even then, there’s sometimes still someone faster than you.

Houns

Have an expensive bike and a knackered old single speed. I couldn’t care who over takes me, I’m happy with the size of my man hood

loum
    Free Member

Has anyone who has been “owned” noticed if that singlespeed had bombers?

mboy
    Free Member

I know the guys that have won the SS team category at Mountain Mayhem the last 2 years running. I can assure you, it’s a whole lot less about the bike than the rider, the fact that they were consistently doing 45min laps where most of us were well over 1hr with gears is down to their ability. That they’d probably be only marginally faster with gears (and suspension forks!) is neither here nor there really.

I like riding bikes. I know seriously quick riders that ride old knackers of singlespeeds, and I know people significantly slower and less skilled than myself with all singing all dancing bikes. So what! I think as long as everyone is enjoying themselves, none of this matters…

cookeaa

I have 5 bikes, none are particularly expensive, one is a single speed…

I’m not sure if I’ve ever been “owned” I’ve been overtaken by fitter and/or better riders, likewise I’ve passed slower riders than myself, thing is most people can get faster or have an off day, passing or being passed isn’t really a big deal unless you have a particularly fragile ego…

hugor
    Free Member

This is just another “all the gear but no idea” thread isn’t it?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Why on earth would anyone ride a single speed if it was’nt primarily for making complete strangers feel inadequate?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Why on earth would anyone ride a single speed if it was’nt primarily for making complete strangers feel inadequate?

Have you ever been to a nudist camp? It feels a bit like that – strangely free.

abyss2010
    Free Member

Dont know about been “owned” but i get a little annoyed with the Lycra clad idiots barging past on sections (mostly uphill) because they think they own the trails or have more right to be there training than you enjoying your FUN!!!!!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

anyone hoping this might actually be a thread of admissions?

Turns into the usual ego-a-thon.

Shame on you.

Rorschach
    Free Member

If you got out of the flamin way a little more promtly we would’nt have to barge 😉 also its FUN.

Taff
    Free Member

I was talking to my mate earlier about situations like this, he has a fixie road bike which cost him £80 to build. He overtook some road riders the other day who were chain ganging it with ease. Really funny as they cuoldn’t catch him!

andrewh
    Free Member

It’s never about the bike, it’s always about the rider

timber

I’ve a single speed with bombers, so you don’t stand a chance, statistically, apparently.
    I can easily prove that theory wrong.

69er
    Free Member

I’ve got a 50 year old mate who can ‘own’ most people, most of the time, on most terrain. He is just an exceptional rider who happens to ride s/s.

I do like the reaction of some people up there ^^^^, as Mr Smith says there will always be someone better than you!

wrecker – Member
    Never happened to me either. It’s a myth perpetuated by people with fragile egos and under developed genitals.

Methinks you protest too much 😀

BTW the old bloke is now riding fixed and still being a pain in the @rse.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wow taff your mate is my hero.

Bregante

Nope. I’m happy to concede that there are many riders that are much quicker than me. I worry more about holding people up and often find myself pulling over to let quicker riders pass me on the trails. The bike they are on is immaterial. I’m out to enjoy myself.

Taff
    Free Member

I’m happy to concede that there are many riders that are much quicker than me. I worry more about holding people up and often find myself pulling over to let quicker riders pass me on the trail

You’re not the only one!

Junkyard
    Free Member

were the chain gang in a recovery ride?
    No one on a fixie is dropping a proper chain gang which is trying even remotely hard to be quick.
    Most SS are faster than me unless i am on mine

singlespeedstu

It’s riding bikes, not racing. Who cares who overtakes who?

Apparently quite a few people care* when Mrs ssstu overtakes them on her ss.

*Are heard to make shite STW mountainbiker type excuses. 😆

I on the other had are quite happy to get out of her way as i don’t need the ear ache.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Who hates being owned on their expensive bikes by people on basic single speeds’ is closed to new replies.