Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • who has the oldest mountain bike (and still rides it offroad.)
  • racefaceec90

just wondering what "classic" mountain bikes still get ridden regularly offroad.pics would be great! 🙂 unfortunately i don't have any classic bikes myself (the oldest is a mongoose fireball circa 2006)

zangolin
    Free Member

1985 Saracen Conquest – comes out a couple of times a year.

slimtubing
    Free Member

going out for a spin tomorrow on my 94 pine mountain.

flatfish
    Free Member

ive got a 94ish khs alite which still gets ridden about a dozen times a year

DickBarton

I've sold my 93/94 Trek 970 (the only year when the 970 was the top end model, but only happened for 1 year as they dropped the 990 that year for some reason then brought it back the next year) to my brother-in-law, he rides it a couple of times a month in the local forest to him. Still using the original 1991 Deore DX crankset and the 1996 Mavic outer 52-tooth ring! Has Quadra 21r's on it…still looks a very nice looking bike…kind of wish I'd never sold it to him.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I took my '89 Rockhopper off road last year … and thought 'never again!' 😯

mountainposture

I had a 2001 Rockhopper which was my only bike until it got nicked in August. That went off road, on road and anywhere else I need to ride it. Off road's easier now with the replacement, granted.

sparkerfix

Still occasionally ride my old '90 Cannondale M700 rigid. It's so hard compared to the newer stuff but makes an interesting change sometimes! Saw it at a bike shop in 1990 at Newquay and just "had to get one", metallic green/black fade.

chriswilk
    Free Member

my only MTB is based on a '98 zaskar. Well upgraded but it's still going strong and used several times a week.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Zangolin, Retrobike needs that….!

ski
    Free Member

1986 Raleigh Maveric ATB, mostly used for pub/shop/school runs, still totally original.

Bit of a monster, but it get used 😉

boblo
    Free Member

Time to trot out the vernerable ~1989 Pine Mountain, still used….occasionally:

smiffy

The bike I ride the most often is a '94 DBR Axis; albeit with a disc brake and singlespeed.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Just sold my '91 Alpinestars cro-mega DX. Got a road bike thats '80s.

samuri
    Free Member

My '96 Humuhumu still gets ridden offroad regularly.

stumpy01

I don't really have a classic yet, but my 01 Stumpjumper is currently my only bike so gets used all the time for 'normal' rides with mates, riding on the road with slicks on, doing races/24hr events etc.

Will be a shame to hang it up in a few weeks when my new one arrives, but there's a small scratch on the rear shock piston & the shock needs servicing too, so the expense of getting that repaired & serviced means it'll probably be hung up for good & the bits swapped over to a hardtail.

brant
    Free Member

that's lovely!

QuickQuestion
    Free Member

1992 Trek Singletrack 970 – comes out occasionally.

starseven
    Free Member

I did this years dusk till dawn on a 94 Kona, no problem really.

rowley
    Free Member

my 1988 Marin Team Marin is my current favourite if needing a geared bike.

cinnamon_girl

QuickQuestion – could you post a pic please? Just wondering if it's the same as mine. What colour is it?

noteeth
    Free Member

zangolin & rowley – class bikes.

Wish I'd never sold my 1990 Marin Muirwoods – the yellowest thing I've ever owned….

boblo
    Free Member

Rowley, what's the spec on that Team Marin please. Looks niiiice 🙂 Did they do it in Tange Prestige? I was a bit miffed when I bought my Pine Mountain as they'd sold out of the previous years model which was Prestige rather than dull standard cro mo.

rowley
    Free Member

Thanks yes it is tange prestige full XT, i bought it relatively recently from a guy on retrobike as always loved that years Marins as my dad had the Pine Mountain from that year. It really is a great bike and completely original as far as i can tell.

rowley
    Free Member

boblo isn't yours a 1988 as it looks the same as my dads?

kiwijohn

My summer race bike is a 95 DBR Axis TT. Rebuilt from the frame up a couple of years ago, but still rides like new. 80mm forks & V brakes can be a bit of a handful after the modern FS.
    See the ti goodness thread for pics.

tonyg2003

I still ride the very occasional off road ride (usually with my six year old boy) on my 1991 Orange Aluminium O. I still can't quite beleive that I used to ride all over the peaks on it rigid.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

that's beacuse you were a hard northern git before surrey softened you tony 😉

tonyg2003

Ha Ha leggy blonde found out!

Going for a ride in the snow of the North Downs today? I am (last vestiages of "hard northern git") Or now you are a magazine superstar is it all beneath you?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I'll probably head to shirley hills after work with a few of my fans

boblo
    Free Member

rowley – Member
    boblo isn't yours a 1988 as it looks the same as my dads?

It could be the '88 model. I bought it new in March '89 and it was current then. I really wanted the previous years metalic lilac Tange Prestige one a chum had but it was sold the day before I went in to pick my bike up. Bough it at Phil Corley Cycles in Milton Keynes and they gave me a nice discount to make up for my disapointment 🙂

I think our bikes have the same spec: Deore (which was the XT of it's day), RM20's, Specialized Ground Controls etc. They both had a peculiar velvety covered gel saddle, looks like your's had been changed as well. Used to soak up loads of moisture…

clunker

I have a 88 Chas Robers White Spider, take it out one or twice a year gets mainly used on the turbo though these days.

robgarrioch

Hardly the vintage of posts above, the 1st 'decent' bike I bought from own wages in '96; grip-shift marvel –

(photostream)

No idea what make, bought from the short-lived Mountain Magic shop in Edinburghs Grassmarket. Used mainly for adverse weather road-riding now, hence replaced crankset + v-brakes. Occasionally bung on some xc tyres for smoother trail-riding when I'm feeling nostalgic!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I had a Sarascen conquest in green – that picture brings back memories 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

my dad has a raleigh something or other that was new in 91, so quite old i suppose.

manwells
    Free Member

rowley thats a fantastic looking bike really cool and retro, how does it ride coz tange prestige was a top tubeset around that time!

manwells
    Free Member

boblo really nice looking retro bike how is it to ride then!

leffeboy

zangolin – Premier Member

and still with the original forks – you rock. After a while it seemed you only ever saw them with the chrome replacements. Now if only you had a set of 'Groondies' on it as well..

bland

I used to ride my 93 Dynatech MT4 every weekend, and hard, maybes too hard.

It didnt like Snowdon

Northwind

My 1990 Carrera's still in bits in the garage, it's just got its new paint and it's waiting to get logo'd up but once it's done it'll be put back into service offroad… Looking foward to it even though it's crap 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘who has the oldest mountain bike (and still rides it offroad.)’ is closed to new replies.