Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Who has eaten at a Michelin star restaurants in the UK?
  • letmetalktomark

Mrs LMTTM has mentioned that for her 30th birthday she would like to eat out at a michelin star restaurant.

Any suggestions? Location not too important as would look to role it in to a weekend.

simon_g
    lunge

Me, Purnells in Brum. It was brilliant, wonderful food, great wine, a real experience.

Not cheap mind.

ourmaninthenorth

Yes, though it’s no longer starred. My entry from one of the threads Stoner linked to:

Gordon Ramsay at Claridges (when it had a star – Mark Sergeant was head chef). 22 of us in one of the art deco private dining rooms. Bill came to £13,500….

bikebouy
    Free Member

Done The Fat Duck quite a few times before HB got famous, nice plate of food..

joolsburger
    Free Member

We ate at the Dorchester last summer for my inlaws 50th anniversary and it was very nice indeeed. Perhaps worth a stayover.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Two, the Alain Duccase at the Dorchester in London, make a weekend of it and stay over. i’ve also been to the one in the Grosvenor hotel in Chester, think it was called the Arkle. Both were really nice experiences. Not cheap but a great night.

damo2576
    Free Member

Big foodie here, done all the big ones, Noma, Arzak, Per Ce, Fat Duck etc.

In London for 1* look at Pollen St, Locando Locatelli, Arbutus, Galvin La Chapelle depending on what you’re after.

If you’re a curry fan, 1* Indians Benares and Tamarind both great.

IHN

Le Champignon Sauvage in Cheltenham.

Beautiful food, bit devoid of atmosphere. It’s like dining in someone else’s house whilst they cook and watch you eat.

damo2576
    Free Member

Actually should add Texture in London

Garry_Lager

Eaten at the Kitchin in Leith. Food was top drawer but restaurant itself was a pretty mediocre new-build in an unremarkable satellite town of Edinburgh.
    I think if you’re treating yourself it’s good to have the ambience of a nice interior / location. If you rolled a visit to the Kitchin into a visit of Edinburgh for a weekend say then that would be a great trip.

pjt201
    Free Member

i’d strongly recommend st john (although not been there since it gained it’s star)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Is Locotellis’ a MStar??

Ohh make that two places then..

Nice plate of pasta..

alfabus
    Free Member

Le Champignon Sauvage in Cheltenham

is it worth going to? I’ve been tempted a few times, but then invariably gone on to the daffodil instead, which is much less threatening and very delicious.

Genuinely interested

Dave

phil.w
    Free Member

Used to be a chef in one. Ate there every night of the week 🙂 (and my lunch come to think of it)

damo2576
    Free Member

phil – where?

IHN

alfabus – you round from these parts then?

I went to the Champignon Sauvage with the then MrsIHN because it was a special occasion and we’d never been to a Michelin restaurant. As I said, the food was beautiful, but it lacks atmosphere (it’s quite small and REALLY quiet). So, it’s worth going for the food, but maybe now for the whole ‘experience’ is you know what I mean.

Daffodil is excellent like you say, have you tried Lumiere on Royal Well Road? Food there is nearly up to CS standard, and it has more of a buzz.

Nick

I’ve not actually eaten in either, but how about a weekend in Ludlow, staying at Mr Underhill’s and eating dinner there, with lunch the following day at Le Becasse

TheFlyingOx

Martin Wishart’s gaff in Edinburgh is pretty nice, with the added bonus of being in Edinburgh.

Pro-tip: don’t turn up to the lunchtime taster menu wearing jeans and a jumper. You’ll either look an intolerable oaf, or some newly-monied spoilt brat 😳 I am neither, but my protests fell on deaf ears.

P.S. the cheese trolley is magnificent.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Summer Isles Hotel, Achiltibuie, lunch is an incredible seafood platter for £60 (for 2)
    However, you might want more than a weekend (although the location and road to it is one of the most spectacular areas of Britain). Summer Isles on the map

thebunk

I went to the Kitchin in Leith as well. Went for lunch, as it was cheaper – really really good, but to this day I regret not ordering the Pigs Face…

Stuey01
    Free Member

I’ve been to Chez Bruce in Wandsworth. It was very nice. I wouldn’t recommend Wandsworth for a romantic getaway though…

nerd
    Free Member

Two – The Lords of the Manor in Upper Slaughter and The Manor House in Castle Combe.
    Both excellent, but the Lords of the Manor slightly better.
    Both in beautiful locations in the Cotswolds – you could even take your bike! 🙂

austen

We have the Pony and Trap round the corner, it’s on the edge of Chew Magna just south of Bristol. A proper, relaxed pub, that happens to do exceptional food and service at normal prices.

No, I don’t quite get it either, but it’s fantastic! Off there on Sunday with some friends.

May not feel special enough for a birthday, but worth looking out at another time.

shadowrider
    Free Member

+1 for Purnells in Birmingham, fantastic food, good choice of beers and wines and a very good bloke as well.His Monkfish Masala is unbelievable

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“They should all be good.”

But not all are! I ate at Benares in London and it was a truly shocking experience, cold food, rubbish service, run out of food etc etc.

I would also avoid the Olive Tree in Ilkley.

Back on post… This place is in a lovely environment, the hotel is very relaxed with a country feel. You can quite often get very good deals on dinner bed and breakfast (in the michelin restaurant). As an overall package I would say it is excellent. The food is good, but fractionally down on quality of the best michelin restuarant I have eaten in which was Fischers in Derbyshire, but its only slightly less good and still leagues ahead of many restuarants.

http://www.thedevonshirearms.co.uk/ (Bolton Abbey, North Yorkshire)

Another alternative is http://www.vennellsrestaurant.co.uk/index.html in Masham. Not michelin starred but in the michelin guide and very good. Stay at the Black Sheep brewery, great weekend!

alfabus
    Free Member

@IHN, yeah I live in Lecky. Moved here in June and been riding mostly with the CCCC guys.

Dave

IHN

riding mostly with the CCCC guys

Ah well, I suppose if you’re new in town you have to find friends where you can 😉

Other places to try (if you haven’t already): Curry Corner, Potting Shed in Crudwell, Charlie’s Chippy :-), Vanilla and, for great pub food and lovely beer, the Longford Arms in, well, Longford.

fennesz
    Free Member

“They should all be good.”

All three of the 1* places I’ve eaten in have been not great/poor. I’ve eaten at Midsummer House (2*) in Cambridge quite a few times & that can be great, but can also be average. It should never be average…

alfabus
    Free Member

Longford Arms in, well, Longford.

googling is failing me… where is that? I can find a Longford Inn, but that is a Beefeater, and seems unlikely!

Dave

IHN

Oh, c0ck, I meant the Queens Head in Longford. Dunno where I got Longford Arms from…

Home

hp_source

I’ve eaten at L’Atelier in London (not far from Covent Garden). Food was fantastic! Staff superb, we had a table/bar looking into the kitchen which was just mesmerising to watch.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Ferdinand the Foodie has.

london_lady
    Free Member

But not all are! I ate at Benares in London and it was a truly shocking experience, cold food, rubbish service, run out of food etc etc.

I was there last Saturday and had quite the opposite experience – my only gripe was that I would have preferred the food to be a bit spicier.

La Becasse in Ludlow was also very nice although it has lost it’s star now.

mikey74
    Free Member

We took our parents to Tower 42 (Gary Rhodes – sp? – , in London) for their 40th wedding anniversary and the whole experience was amazing. The bill was not so good (around £350 for four), but the views were amazing and the food was great.

djglover
    Free Member

There is a good one on the llyn peninsula. Ate there in summer whilst on holiday. Good food and location for beach / bike / hike holiday!

letmetalktomark

MMM Potting Shed in Crudwell.

MMMMMM

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“around £350 for four”

Thats cheap !

chakaping
    Free Member

This place is quite local to me and very, very good…

http://www.aubergedulac.co.uk/menus.html

Looking it up just now I found it has two stars, didn’t know that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Who has eaten at a Michelin star restaurants in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.