Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)
  • who has actually tried a 29er then?
  • rOcKeTdOg

lots of threads of loverz and haterz arguing, but who has actually tried one and can base an opinion on actual riding time?

i was wary when i first tried a 29er, thinking it was just hype to sell more bikes to riders who already have too many, and i have to say it wasn’t instant love, they do take some getting used to and a change of riding style (for me anyway) so a couple of rides around the block wouldn’t be a fair assessment, but after now owning one for 2 years i’d never go back to a smaller wheeled bike as the 29er (well the ones i have) seem to fit me so much better and i’m riding more than i ever did and i think this fit thing is a lot to do with it

Stoner
    Free Member

lots of threads of loverz

Im guessing that all the loverz are all the ones that have tried it.

rOcKeTdOg

Stoner – Member

lots of threads of loverz

Im guessing that all the loverz are all the ones that have tried it.

not necessarily, like i said i thought it took time to get used to and not everyone will like the ride

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Janesy
    Free Member

they do take some getting used to and a change of riding style (for me anyway)

but after now owning one for 2 years i’d never go back to a smaller wheeled bike

You got used to it, therefore its very hard to make an opinion unless you have both. you wont go back to a smaller wheeled bike because again – you’ve changed your riding style and your used to it.

The bike companys have set this up perfectly.

uplink
    Free Member

I jumped on one and was instantly at home on it – it felt right, from the word go

Bernaard
    Free Member

I have had 4 but always seem to go back to 26″
    A GT peace
    Scandal
    Voodoo
    Kona

Great for my local stuff, but they didn’t seem to suit my style of riding
    That’s not to say I wouldn’t have another, I would, just not now

CheesybeanZ

I jumped on one and was instantly at home on it – it felt right, from the word go

same thing with me , been riding 4 yrs now and tried a 29er a year ago and bought one straight away , got my second one arriving today 😀
    i feel far more confidant on the 29er and just enjoy it more .

honourablegeorge

For the guys who felt at home straight away – what were you on before, and what did you jump onto?

cy

I did a lot of back-to-back testing of my Soul vs Solaris prototype on repetitive loops to get my head around exactly this subject. Basically both wheel sizes have their advantages, and it’s possible to design a 29er these days that is great all round, so it’s a preference thing. The two massively obvious things I found were:

– On certain size bumps (DH run with lots of 2 fist size roundish boulders) that are just big enough and widely enough spaced to batter 26″ wheels, the 29er flew down at nearly FS speeds. It was quite shocking. That said, the Soul was reall fun, popping over sections and from rock to rock, just not as fast. 29er was way faster, but not as interactive as the BB drop seemed to make it harder to move around. The thing was, I didn’t need to move it around.
    – Tight, steep, technical DH or climbs, the Soul is better simply because you can make tighter turns and there’s less bike around you.
    – 29ers are super-naturally good across roots. You end up riding across them with impunety just because you can.
    – On fast sweeping singletrack, there’s not a lot to choose.
    – Spec-for-spec, my Soul is about 3/4lb lighter than my 29er.

I think the major issue here is bike fit and weight distribution. I’m ft 3in and even with a 110mm head tube on the first prototype I struggled to get the bars low enough for my liking, and even with 15mm risers I couldn’t get the front ‘switched on’. Flat bars were the only option, and granted I do like a low front for my height, but if I struggled then the bike fit and handling issues for shorter people are very real. This is why we’re not doing a small size to start with. Although we’re going to try out a small to see if we can make it work as there’s demand, the way I see things right now, if you’re under 5ft 10in, then stick with 26″ wheels. You’ll be able to ride the thing proprly.

chutney13
    Free Member

I’m ft 3in

you’re really tiny!!!!

thomthumb
    Free Member

test rode a kona at a demo day. liked the big wheels but don’t like ‘canadian’

6 months later swapped my inbred for a scandal 29er. by far my nicest bike. i’m slowly putting together a geared version.

still got a 26″ bike although i have slowly ruined the ride over the last year. trying to rectify it at the moment.

different bikes for different things imo. i might get rid of the 26″ as i just don’t ride it enough….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a few. They’re OK. Not better, not worse, just different. And not being lanky I don’t need one. But mostly I can’t be arsed to start again with wheels and tubes and tyres and frames and forks when I’ve got a garage full of 26in stuff.

Plus there aren’t really 29in versions of my preferred bikes anyway.
    When there’s a 29in version of my 456 & Pitch, I might look at it agin though. 🙂

CheesybeanZ

what were you on before, and what did you jump onto?

went from an inbred to a pipedream sirius, tried a swift and bought a blacksheep highlight .

PeterPoddy
    pitch – niner W.F.O 9
    456- banshee paradox or canfield yelli scream

DezB
    Free Member

Nope. Don’t see any reason to. I like my bikes just the way they are.
    If I want bigger wheels I’ll go on my road bike, but I don’t get a lot of pleasure from that.
    Not a “haterz”, just not interested.

footflaps

With PP on this one, I have too much 26″ stuff to want the hassle of changing over…

cy

6ft 3in. Stupid fingers.

andyl
    Free Member

I’m about 5ft 9 and tried a Giant Anthem X in medium at Bas Ass Bikes – only a car park spin but was impressed and I fitted fine. Maybe I was impressed as it is a £3k bike I don’t know. I am trying to build a 29er Scandal to see though. Just wheels and tyres etc (spent too much this month) that are holding me up now.

honourablegeorge

6ft 3in. Stupid fingers.

They sure are. Must be a nightmare trying to find gloves.

rewski
    Free Member

Don’t like the look but I’m curious how they ride, they’re not on my most wanted list though. Mind you now enigma could be doing a 29er ego I might be persuaded.

Rickos
    Free Member

I’m not that bothered about them really. I’m not that bothered about hybrids or cyclocross bikes either. What gets me is that some people who like them seem to be too eager and desperate to fight the 29er corner for some reason. Why not just have the confidence to ride what you like instead of banging on about it all the time trying to convince people that just aren’t that bothered?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Don’t like the look but I’m curious how they ride,

I love the way they look, Finally I have a bike that looks normal rather than huge frame and little wheels.

I’ve been riding 29ers for a few years and can’t say i’ll look back.

Currently have a Pace and a Swift. Looking at a full-sus one next.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

What gets me is that some people who like them seem to be too eager and desperate to fight the 29er corner for some reason

Mainly because there isn’t a day goes by without someone preaching how crap they are, wheels will explode, have no benefits etc…

More than any other of genre of cycling.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Rickos – Member
    I’m not that bothered about them really. I’m not that bothered about hybrids or cyclocross bikes either.

Same here, if it wasn’t for the “love ins” here I wouldn’t even have guessed that there was a hybrid revival !
    Never seen one & don’t know anyone who rides one, not relevant to me…

Paceman
    Free Member

You’ll get used to whatever bike you’re riding over time. The only fair comparison would be from riders who regularly ride both 26ers and 29ers.

I quite fancy trying a 29er but i’m going to wait until the technology / geometry etc settles down a bit and used 29er kit becomes more affordable.

The SC Tallboy looks great IMO but out of my price range at the moment.

I still VERY rarely see any 29ers though out on my local trails – South Downs and Surrey Hills.

cupra
    Free Member

I have had three goes at the 29er bikes over the last 3-4 years:
    1 ss
    1 alfine
    1 normal gears
    all have been ridden both with rigid and suspension forks. I only owned one at any given time, gave up on it then had another go at a later date. I have just sold the third attempt, 26 it is for me. I just can’t get on with the 29ers at all.

brassneck

I’m in the market for one (it’ll be a Swift, no suspension, probably geared) as my second bike is the utility bike – tows children, commutes over byways and shocking road surfaces, winter bike for when the weather is truly vile) although I’m probably a little short for one (5′ 10ish). Would have been a present to myself for my 40th but for some untimely bills landing on the mat.

The better rolling of big wheels just suits how I ride and what I’ll use the bike for.

My main bike will almost certainly remain a 26″ full suss.. but who knows. Can’t say for sure till I’ve got a year in on big wheels, but I don’t see any advantage for when I’m going out specifically for a mtb ride (singletrack, ruts, trail centers) for me yet.

pypdjl
    Free Member

The only fair comparison would be from riders who regularly ride both 26ers and 29ers.

I have 2 26ers and 2 29ers, although they are all set up differently so still not a very fair comparison.

I still VERY rarely see any 29ers though out on my local trails – South Downs and Surrey Hills.

They are just bikes with slightly bigger wheels, it’s easy not to notice them.

binners

I’d really like to try one.

Can I just ask: is there anyone under 6′ who likes them? I’m not a shortarse as such (5’11”), I just have the physical attributes of a gibbon. As such I always like smaller frames. More compact feeling with low standover, so the bike feels ‘chuckable’.

That’s just not going to work on a 29er is it?

andyl
    Free Member

but I thought they all looked like this:

TiRed

Never ridden a 26er. Went straight from a FS 20er to a rigid single speed 29er. More people notice my 20er to be honest.

EDIT: I’m 5′ 10.5″ and felt instantly at home on an 18″ Kona Unit. As far as I can see the debate is really about an accident of history.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

6ft 4″ so 29 is far better fit for me.

Had a few over the last 2-3 yrs, GT Peace, Kona Unit, Scandal, Inbred to name but a few. Got two on the go at the moment, one geared , one SS.
    Wouldnt go back, simply because I can go everywhere others go on 26″ wheels HT or Sus. Far better fit so whats the point !

Dave
    Free Member

Can I just ask: is there anyone under 6′ who likes them?

I’m 5’10″ish and I’m liking my Highball Longtermer.

cheers_drive

I picked up a secondhand 29er last year as a cheap way of giving one a go (at the time getting a test was difficult). I’m 6’3″ and I instantly felt at home on the bike, I love the stabilty and the fact I’m in not on the bike. It’s hard to compare it though as it’s been run as SS with 80mm forks or rigid which is different from the 130mm Price Albert I had before and the Zesty I still have.
    I’m hoping to get a new longer travel 29er hardtail soon which may then challange the Zesty on more technical rides.
    I did try someones Turner Sultan and it just didn’t work for me, it was very fast at straighlining everything but I struggled with corners. It may have just been the setup though as the owner is 4″ taller than me so the bars were very high.
    I’d just say that 29ers are different (it’s not just marketing) not better and that difference may suit you (especially if you are 6ft+

29erKeith
    Free Member

Me! I’ve got a couple now and no 26ers, I’m 6’2″ and find they fit me and my style of riding well.

I like them if you haven’t guessed ^ 🙄 , but I don’t expect or care particularly if anybody else does/doesn’t. I’m not pushing them or asking anyone to buy one, but am happy to let 29er curious mates a have go

that is all 🙂

lovewookie

I had a 29er (old fisher X-Caliber)for about a year and a half. Moved from a 26er hardtail and a Cannondale Prophet, with the idea being that a 29er would be a great commuter bike, bung on offroad tyres, bung on cx tyres, bung on road tyres, very versatile.

What I found was that once I got used to spinning the wheels up it was great. Held an impressive amount of speed, light enough to tackle the hills without too much bother and very very nice on the downhills. So much so that I got rid of the prophet.

What changed my mind was looking back, possibly down to the bikes age and old school design.

I bought a 26″ kona as a hack bike. The immediate turn of speed and acceleration through singletrack reminded me of what I love about riding. Going as fast as I can through twisty turns. Yeah the 29er made things smooth and rolled through everything, but the agility of a 26er had me hooked again.

so here I am now, having returned to 26ers for the last 3 years wondering whether a new design 29er is something I should reconsider?

😉

Bream
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″ and went from a 26″ Giant Anthem to a 29″ Giant Anthem and it felt completely natural from the 1st ride. Doubt I’ll ever go back to 26″ now.

The again, I spend as much time on my road bikes as I do on my MTB, so maybe the switch was helped by this.

Dave
    Free Member

I should add that I rode plenty of 29ers pre Highball which left me cold.

cookeaa

Not tried one and therefore wouldn’t put myself in either camp really, I can see the theoretical benefits and drawbacks and would like to try one but I won’t go out of my way to do so, I did come close to buying a Diamond back mojito, but instead opted to build up a cheap SS 26er as I had the spares…

The early adopters have been quite vocal about the benefits and not really highlighted that many problems, this may well be the case, but I can’t help thinking that for those like me who like Descending more than Climbing the handling characteristics of a 26er may still edge it, for XC, Distance and Enduro focused riding/racing I can see serious benefits to a bike which rolls better and smooths out the bumps a bit more hence I think 29ers have alot in their favour…

But as yesterdays thread illustraited it is a largely uniformed debate with lots of heavily biased shouter proponents/detractors… no doubt there will in due course be reasoned and sensible study (from a University sports science/engineering dept’ perhaps?)…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PeterPoddy
    pitch – niner W.F.O 9
    456- banshee paradox or canfield yelli scream

Can the Niner be had for about £1500 complete bike and the other two for under £1300?

Paceman
    Free Member

The gang I ride with are seriously bike-obsessed so no chance of not noticing a big wheeler.

We just don’t see them very often despite doing epic rides every weekend and some weeknights all year round.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘who has actually tried a 29er then?’ is closed to new replies.