Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • who goes (road) riding at night?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

One of them road cyclists followed me back from the Chase the other night. Sat on my tail blatantly making use of my thermonuclear lights until he turned off without even a ‘cheers’ or ‘seeya’

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Yep. Ditched the turbo a few weeks ago as I was losing the will to live on it.

I stick to country lanes and very rarely go on A roads. I find that cars always pull over for me at night, but then I do have a Troute light poised to hit full beams if they don’t give me enough room. Haven’t need to do this yet though. I also wear a Respro Hi-Viz Helmet Band too. I’ve been told I look like the police when they first see it so maybe that helps.

MrAgreeable

It can be depressing (riding along in a little glowing circle with nothing else to look at soon gets boring) but get a few of you doing it and it feels more like fun.

This has been ace every time I’ve done it:

http://www.exmouthexodus.co.uk/

njee20
    Free Member

I find your choice of lights is quite important too – you can have a bright spot, but if it’s a cloudy night you can lose your reference point and find yourself drifting towards the edge/middle of the road. Too much flood and you can’t see at higher speeds.

If only GW was here to belittle everyone and point out how he rarely uses lights when riding on the road at night!

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I did a lot of road night riding last year and have been out a reasonable amount of time this year after dark due to soggy local trails and not being able to face the trainer.

I tend to stick to back roads as whilst rougher, it keeps you out the way of selfish commuters who are intent on getting home fast as possible. A big light(Troutie DD) helps to see the potholes and other road nasties and a set of mudguards really make a difference to comfort. I really quite enjoy it and see quite a few others doing the same locally.

themilo
    Free Member

I’m clearly not normal – i like it! I always leave it until after 8.30 ish and I always ride on my own. Guess I enjoy the solitude. I also live in a city and tend to go straight through the middle of it. Something about a quiet city at night……

paddy0091
    Free Member

Used to do all my training on the road, mainly in the dark. Not an issue.

downshep

I work shifts and sometimes commute on unlit roads at silly o’clock. It is far more pleasant than riding at busy times. If you are the only light source in a drivers view, they are much more likely to see you.

Having a hi viz / reflective jacket with LED vest on top accompanied by wrist and ankle bands does help, as do three front lights, three rear lights and flashing front and rear helmet lights. Not to mention a bike and helmet covered in reflective tape. Sexy it ain’t but I’m still breathing.

oldgit
    Free Member

I jump on the Turbos and feel like this……

Overdone the Turbos. Did some night road rides, but they weren’t that inspiring or useful. MTB during the winter nights is your friend.

nick3216
    Free Member

If only GW was here to belittle everyone and point out how he rarely uses lights when riding on the road at night!

there is something nice about country road, middle of nowhere, miles from light pollution, moonlit night, lights off riding. Jeep a taillight on in case anything catches up with you but you can usually see oncoming cars in time to get lit up again. I’ve gone all nostalgic for the Trough of Bowland loop at night now.

tonyg2003

Ride most weeks on a night time road ride (and MTB). In a group on quiet roads night road riding is great and probably safer than the same roads in the day. With good lights car drivers dip there lights and often come past very slowly.

thekingofsweden

Me I have been for years I quite enjoy the roads around the Severn area.

I can’t be arsed with all that bike and kit cleaning of winter mtb night rides.

I do like the dirty country lanes to add a bit of interest to nightime road riding I don’t think riding in a big group would be very easy tho ?

Come to think of it with my long loop to work most mornings in the dark and an extended evening ride some evenings this winter I’ve done quite a few miles in the dark.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘who goes (road) riding at night?’ is closed to new replies.