Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Who goes for a training ride before work?
  • onewing
    Free Member

As per title anyone on here get up early for a training ride before work?

What sort of time/mileage do you cover? How many times a week do you go out for a ride?

Any stories would be good for motivation.

Thanks

shadowrider
    Free Member

Not me, but I’m not mental, I do all my riding after work.

simmy
    Free Member

Depends on the weather but I do about an hour covering 10 miles or so before work.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Regularly, no, but I have been known to get up a bit earlier to squeeze an hour or so in on the road bike. I don’t see it as training though, so only tend to do it if the morning forecast is looking good….and there’s enough daylight.

That said, I’ve not done it in recent months 😳

thomthumb
    Free Member

i have before – i was obsessed with hours on the bike.

I found it hard to get to sleep early enough, so i could wake with enough sleep and ride.

not anymore – other than commuting.

IHN

Twice a week, for about three-quarters of an hour, pushing as hard as I can. Not sure you can call it a ‘training’ ride as such, but it keeps the fitness levels topped up.

Unfortunately this morning it was a half hour ride followed by a puncture and a three-quarters of an hour walk 🙁

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

ME!

Exercise in the morning is great for the soul, not to mention the fitness benefits too!

Even if you just blast around a 8 – 9 mile loop for half an hour, you’re going to be much fitter than not doing so. Once you make it a habit to get out and train, you can gain so much fitness from just an extra hour on the bike.
    I tend to do 30 minutes – 1 hour of exercise before work (either a short spin on the road bike, or core workouts, or weights), and then do a proper ride in the afternoon. I tend to do ‘double day’ twice or three times per week, and ride once every other day, other than Friday which is off.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Yes and after work about 4 – 5 times a week. Average 400lm per week and a couple lite gym sessions in evening. Weather is main issue. Start at 0600 finish 1800 – 1900 each day. Work 0800 – 1630. 2 hours morning same evening after work. I make sandwich’s at 20:30 in bed by 2100 2130.

theotherjonv

Not riding but often 25-30 mins running

mrblobby
    Free Member

With limited time I’d go running or on the turbo. Not been since the arrival of blobby jr though!

turtleheading
    Free Member

My commute is 11miles, so depends on how I push it to class if its a training ride or not. Today was recovery ride <130bpm which was surprisingly hard to do tbh. Other days I just smash it all the way, depending on how fresh I am feeling.
    I’ll blast it after work later in time for 2 days recovery. #mustgetstronger

eskay

I do in the summer, once or twice a week.

mrmo
    Free Member

my commute is 16miles, which i might stretch to 25miles. at the moment just taking it easy and donig miles rather than pushing it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve done so in the past, when I could start work late, I’d get up to 2:30hr road rides in.

I wasn’t much use by 4pm but flexi time meant I could leave early 😎

I do more running these days – distance to work is an ideal 5m.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yeah. I do 20 miles roadwork before, er, work.

Mind you, it’s not “training” – it’s my commute. So I do another 20 miles after work too.

😉

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

like others have said I dont call it training, its just a longer commute… but only when the light comes up and I’m up for it. Mainly in the summer months when its warm.

chriswilk
    Free Member

have been known to do 5 hours before a 9am start in the summer.
    Do 1 hour 4 days a week commuting, but if good weather often strech it to 1.5 or 2 hours.
    Often it’s the only time I have to get some decent miles in my legs.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Not for training, but am often found out blatting around Delamere at 04:00hrs..

To be fair, I get by on about 4hrs sleep a night, so tend to make the most of it.

Can do a good couple of hours before home, SSS then work.

Kryton57

Yep – 20 to 40k usually 6-7.30 when wfh twice a week leaving a bigger ride for the weekend.

Will be adding an evening ride in the summer.

onewing
    Free Member

Thanks people interesting stuff!

eshershore
    Free Member

not a training ride (I am not in training for anything) but just riding

regularly go out and do a 20 mile ride on my road bike before (takes around 1 hour) including as many hill climbs and fast hill descents as I can pack into the time / distance)

great fun. if the weather is terrible, I will go out and run 3-4 miles before coming home, getting ready to then ride to work on my short commute

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I do but then again i dont start work till 11.50am so is easy.Get a ride in and a lye in 😀

grievoustim
    Free Member

I often get up at 6:30, riding by 7 ish. Will ride for up to 2 hours (luckily I don’t have to be at my desk till 10 and I live a 5 minute ride from work)

In the winter when the trails freeze overnight, but warm up during the day – it’s by far the best time to ride

I prefer riding before work – afterwards I’m usually just wanting to veg out or go out.

I struggle for motivation when it’s muddy though.

It’s not really “training” though – just riding cos I like riding

chives
    Free Member

Still struggling to get back into the rhythm of dragging my ass out of bed for a 10 mile loop pre-work. I’d got quite into it a couple of years back going every other morning, but last year was a poor effort on my part, (+ too many minor illnesses one after another!) I’m sure it will get easier when the weather improves (sic).

crikey
    Free Member

Used to, back in the racing snake days.

I’d get up at 5:00, out at 5:30, do nearly 2 hours on the road then work from 7:30 until 4:00. Maybe 3 times a week.

I used to do a late shift, from lunchtime until 21:00, and one day did 80 miles before it started. I was tired on the way home..

onewing
    Free Member

Crickey Crickey 80 miles before work is good going!

I was think more along the lines of a road ride before work.

Getting covered in mud would be a pain in the arse.

bigbloke
    Free Member

During the better weather and if its not muddy more recently, i go for an hours blast on the mtb straight after my early shift (6-2) 10-14miles loop and i do the same before work when i am on late shift (2-10). I pop the bike on my car and stop off at the local woods/loop on the way to/from work to do it so it only adds an hour or so either end of my day. Did this twice a week religiously in summer not so much in winter but getting back into now plus a weekend ride with more miles. Worked wonders for my fitness.

radoggair
    Free Member

in the summer i’ve been known to go out biking at 4am – 9am and work at 10am. that was in the past. Now i commute some mornings a week at 4:30am anyway, finish work at 4ish, gym till 6ish train/commute home and be home about 8:45pm ish

el_boufador

Yip, as above not really a training ride but have done up to about 2hrs on the MTB before work. It helps that I have a great locally trail network which can take me on a variety of routes between my house and work, mostlyish offroad.
    Great time of the day to ride – I do most of my riding either in the early morning, on the afternoon commute, or in the evening.

stu1972
    Free Member

Hell yeah.

3.00am wake, back home for 7.45am start.

jameso

Often get out for a couple of hours in the morning, up just after 6, few emails etc done, 2hrs on the SS since school-run / commuter traffic makes road riding a bit of a test before 9 – 9.30 am and the woods are such a nice place to be early am. Prefer road riding at night if I want to get some miles in, 7-10pm, steady miles after dinner or a 1.5 – 2hr blast in the summer. Flexi-time riding is great.

andrewh
    Free Member

8miles to work, so that does for me. Longer rides home though, 8-40miles depending on the weather and what else I have to do.
    I used to run at lunchtimes, much to the amusement of my colleagues, just 40mins or so, but haven’t done since I fractured my kneecap in December. hopefully not too long before I can do it again.

brooess
    Free Member

I use commuting as a way to get the miles in. have to take it easy through traffic (from SE London to Paddington) but on the clear sections and hills I will push to get the heart rate up.
    Carrying kit and a lock adds about 4-6kg which helps from a strength POV too.
    Getting to work by bike is a much better start to the day too. Considering it everyday if we get a summer 🙂

antigee

mrs antigee goes training with her roadie club at 6am once a week – rather her than me – also does some sort of 6am fitness classes in local park

mikewsmith
    Free Member

no, the missus does sometimes or goes with a later morning crew depending on hours.

As I’m home based I popped out for a quick 20km between stuff when the sun was up….

as for motivation try this
    http://app.strava.com/challenges/spring-classics-challenge-from-specialized

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Who goes for a training ride before work?’ is closed to new replies.