Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • who else keeps buying books (but not reading them.)
  • racefaceec90

i have around 5-6 books that i have bought,that i haven’t so much as looked at yet. (just bought my first terry pratchett book today called jingo,on the recommendation of the shop lady,when i asked what would be a good first discworld book to go for).
    so far i have yet to read my keith richards bio, adrian mole aged 13 3/4,growing pains (i have read them as a teen,back in late 80’s 😉 . along with lord of the rings and a bio about john peel that i bought about 5 years ago 😳
    it’s not just me is it ? 😳

surfer
    Free Member

Worse. I borrow other peoples then dont read them either!

jota180
    Free Member

No – I just download files for my Kindle for free so loss here

16stonepig
    Free Member

Me! I’ve got loads lying about at the moment. Still, I have a week in Tuscany coming up, so in between wine and pizza, and my sis’s wedding, I should get some reading time.

richmtb

I’ve gota Kindle so I just steal them and don’t read them!

thomthumb
    Free Member

i have a ‘to read’ shelf on my bookcase. 😳

z1ppy

just bought my first terry pratchett book today called jingo,on the recommendation of the shop lady,when i asked what would be a good first discworld book to go for

eh? you start at the beginning, not half way through the series FFS!
    The colour of magic is what you want or one of the early ones like Mort or Wyrd Sisters, jingo is a city watch book and there’s several to read before that!

As for the OP, I have a couple of books to start (and I should because I just listened to his other books [previously read them] and was remind how great a writer he is), and couple I’ve read half way through and stopped, more interesed in audiobooks nowadays TBH

tonyd

I stopped buying books a few years ago as never find the time to read any more. Still have 6 or 8 to get through from way back then, plus the ones I’ve been given at Xmas since.

I need a holiday (without the children)!

D0NK

The colour of magic is what you want

hmm bit slow going, discworld changed (and improved) a lot since the start and TP always says they only loosely follow each other. Re-read CoM recently, unimpressed.

I’ve got a few unread books at home, I normally read new books whilst on holiday, and I haven’t been away for 2 years so got a few to take with me next week 🙂

D0NK

never find the time to read any more

Get some books on your phone. Kindles/pads are OK but got my phone with me 24/7 anytime I’ve got a few mins I’ll read.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

Yes the discworld books can be read in any order but you will notice some subtle and interesting things if read from the start.

not that i can remember any right now… 😆

ourmaninthenorth

Me. I’m privately (and now publicly) rather ashamed of this.

I spend all day reading and writing tedious drivel (whether working, or on here) and then the brief time I have in the evening seems to end up in front of the TV and posting crap on Twitter.

I think I need to have a serious word with myself.

Mr_C
    Free Member

I’ve got about 60 books waiting to be read at the moment – I joined ReadItSwapIt a couple of years ago so I didn’t actually buy most of them.

I would recommend ReadItSwapIt as I’ve taken a punt and swapped for books from authors I’ve never read and been introduced to some great stuff.

16stonepig
    Free Member

I actually don’t much like the first 2 Discworld books. It’s only in Equal Rites where I reckon he starts doing what he’s best at, which is taking aspects of our own society, and transposing them to a fantasy world where we can see how ridiculous they all are.

Jingo is particularly good for that, actually, but it’s nice to vageuly follow the sequence so that the characters have more meaning to you at the right times.

racefaceec90

z1ppy you are quite correct,i should have started with the first discworld book. i just thought i would try reading one of his recommended books first,just to see how i liked it to be honest (there are a fair few discworld books to say the least 😉
    on a tangent though you recommending the colour of magic reminds me of a commodore 64 text based adventure game of the same name.it was a good game (up to the point where you had to fight a giant bloodworm.i could never beat it 😳

footflaps

I have quite a few unread – I add books to my Amazon basket when I come across a recommendation / review and then buy them only when the basket gets to about 10 books – problem is I never get round to reading them all….

mefty
    Free Member

I don’t buy many books, I borrow them from the library.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

If it helps, you only have to read the first half of the John Peel bio – the section written by the great man himself. Balance is poor, IMHO.

Stoner
    Free Member

I do it all the time, but they all go in a pile that I take on our 4-6wk holiday with me.

The most recent one is

Amazon

Hat tip to Boing Boing where I originally saw it.

wallop

I am forever buying books and not reading them. I just like buying books. I love the smell.

boltonjon

Yeah, – still buy a few books – but have calmed down a lot – but i have a great looking bookshelf!!

Currently reading Imajica – a Clive Barker book i first read 20 years back and i’m completely blown away by it

Also looking forward to Skagboys by Irvine Welsh and the new Dark Tower book by Stephen King – which were kindly supplied by Amazon earlier this week 😀

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Yep. Guilty ya honour.

I never have the time. I always buy books when they catch my eye then normally crack the spine months of years later.
    Started reading the David Millar bioast night so I’ll prob read it in 3 days then not pick up a book for another 18 months!!

Moses

Same here, I’ve a good shelf-full unread, or started then discarded in favour of something else.
    Mrs M recently found some books which have lain undisturbed in our attic for about 30 years: anyone for a 6-volume mid C19 line-engraved “Chemistry as Applied to the Arts & Manufacture”? , chemical engineering for Victorians
    When the apocalyse comes, that will be the reference book to own.

trailmonkey

I’m currently reading for a degree so reading for pleasure isn’t really happening but as i work in a natural history bookshop, i can’t help the odd purchase even though they won’t get touched for a while. This is the latest one bought to put down.

Travis

“Where do I find the time for not reading so many books?”

Karl Kraus (1874 – 1936

I am currently reading 4 books on the go, different time of the day, different books.
    I find that by keeping myself off the internet, I have time to read them.

samuri
    Free Member

I have a bog book queue.
    The only place I read paper books is on the bog because I don’t like taking my kindle in the bathroom so my bog book queue contains the pile of paper books that will eventually make it in there. 😉

Currently reading william fotherington’s book about Merckx, next up is a Rebus book.

Squidlord
    Free Member

I’ve addeed two books to my amazon wishlist just today, thanks to hanging around on here. Once ordered, I will have to decide if they go into the “imminent” pile on the bedside table, the “soon” pile in the corner of the bedroom, or one of the two “later” shelves in the spare room. I suspect I like buying books more than reading them.

mattjg
    Free Member

It’s not just you. It’s a perfectly legitimate way of enjoying your books.

I had LOTR on the shelves for 10 years before I read it, and when I was ready, I read it.

CountZero

I’m almost ashamed to say I’m not sure how many print books I have but not read, let alone ones on the Kindle app on my iPhone/iPad, as I keep getting lists of free books that look quite readable so I just download them. I must have a couple of dozen in there so far. 😳

StefMcDef
    Free Member

“Our house is teeming with books I haven’t read and will never find the time to read”, he typed, on the internet, at five past two in the morning, wondering why he never has time to read any of these books.

I also keep buying bikes and bits for them and not riding them. 😥

Mugboo

I never buy new books.

Everywhere I go I see free books. I don’t feel as bad then I don’t find the time to read them…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘who else keeps buying books (but not reading them.)’ is closed to new replies.