Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Who else is injured and can't ride ?
  • Bregante

broken trapezoid. (bone in the wrist, next to the scaphoid!) out till xmas 👿

Mike59

Jackal : I too fractured/compressed two vertebrae, in june this year, after hitting a tree head first.
    I too had to have it operated on, six vertebrae now fused together with two titanium rods, eight screws and a bone graft.
    Just started riding again after 4 months, felt brilliant to be out, but its like learning to ride all over again, and still a fair bit of pain. Overall its no fun at all

madzaba, how are you getting on with yours? And which vertebrae was it? Mine was in the thoracic region, T5 and T6, the rods going from T3 to T8.

Jackal – my two crushed vertebrae were (are still, actually!) T7 and T8, also in the Thoracic region. My CT scan was sent to St Georges Hospital, but told I was unsuitable for an operation. Given yours and Madzaba's injuries, I wonder why I didn't have an op? Were yours 'burst' fractures? Or do you know what percentage they were crushed by?

Cheers
    Mike.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Hope you're not eating

This Saturday I was racing down off Long Mynd and my rear wheel washed out so I used my calf as a brake on a jagged rock.

And today before it was redressed for the first time,
    It's getting better

jackal
    Free Member

Jackal – my two crushed vertebrae were (are still, actually!) T7 and T8, also in the Thoracic region. My CT scan was sent to St Georges Hospital, but told I was unsuitable for an operation. Given yours and Madzaba's injuries, I wonder why I didn't have an op? Were yours 'burst' fractures? Or do you know what percentage they were crushed by?

Cheers
    Mike.

Hi Mike.

One of my vertebrae was crushed by around 30% they said, not sure if this is classed as a 'burst' fracture or not??
    The other was fractured all the way through.

My CT scan was sent to both Sheffield (northern general) and Leeds for the best course of action, I was originally helicopter'd to wakefield but they weren't too sure what to do by the sounds of it.
    Ended up having the op to fuse it at sheffield northern general as they decided the spine wasn't stable enough for anything else.
    Surgeon said it was a relatively common op for that type of injury, also had some bone chipped off the hip to graft onto the vertebrae to strengthen it.
    Its still reasonably sore now, alot of that is to do with the 10 inch or so cut they had to make through the back muscles to get the rods in 😕

Hows yours coming on? still in much pain?

😀

anagallis_arvensis

I have had one hip surgery and am waiting for another and havent ridden for nearly two years. 😥

Mike59

Hi Jackal

I wonder if it's something to do with one of yours being fractured rather than crushed. I've seen the xray, and they are both crushed by what looks like more than 30%. I was not airlifted, in fact the paramedics made me walk (supported on them) 20 metres to the ambulance 😯 Now that WAS painful, and from what I have heard since it was a mistake.

I'm still in a fair bit of pain/discomfort, but the spinal brace came off on Sunday (six weeks after the accident) and I can walk unaided for a mile or so before it becomes uncomfortable. I can't lift weights, but can do most other things, albeit carefully.

Physio has told me no bike this year 😥 , mainly because if I crash it may set me back to square one.

At least I can start getting my fitness back!

Cheers
    MIke.

Pauly

Big stack at the bottom of the Cwmcarn DH course = dislocated wrist and a grade 2 open compound fracture of the radius. 3 operations to put in 3 pins, 6" plate, 12 screws and 2 wires which were taken out 3 weeks ago. Off the bike since mid July, but hopefully back to 'gentle cycling' by the new year. Maybe racing again for the summer.
    Havn't been able to do any exercise until now really, so will get a turbo on the go through the winter if the physio ok's it.

chopperT
    Free Member

….and I'm miserable 'cause I've got manflu and haven't ridden this week. 🙂
    Bear up everbody. Get well soon!

madzaba

madzaba, how are you getting on with yours? And which vertebrae was it? Mine was in the thoracic region, T5 and T6, the rods going from T3 to T8.

mike59 – It was my L1 vertebra that was fractured, and the rods tie together T12 to L3 or L4. I think the main reason they operated on my back was because of all of my broken ribs, and I also had a lot of vertebrae ligament damage below the one that was fractured. It was difficult to stabilise me and do anything with me with both a fractured spine and so many rib fractures. Off to Liverpool today for my three month check. I'm not expecting any issues. The operation went well at the time and I've had no issues since. I'm told that some people can feel the rods inside. Thankfully that isn't the case although my GP said that I probably will when the weather is very cold………..

grumm
    Free Member

Not injured but been ill for ages and going biking seems to make it worse 🙁

Had some kind of cold/virus thing for at least a month that I just can't shake off – was in bed for a week or two but now when I start to feel better I go out biking and seem to get worse again.

I'm going to have to lay off for a while I think. Still not as bad as lots on this threade – chin up everyone!

votchy
    Free Member

Had the results of my second x-ray last night following an off on 5th Oct when A&E said I had several fractured ribs, results are 6 fractured ribs, swollen and torn intercostals, swollen left lung and fluid in left lung that is nothing to worry about as it is normal and will clear as soon as I can cough properly 🙁
    Good news is no haematoma in the lung, no punctures and no trapped air pockets,no sign of infection, been told at least another 2-4 weeks but could be 6-8 weeks, might be back on the bike for the Clent Duffers(TM) Xmas ride

Mike59

Here's my latest X-ray. Any comments from medics, greatly appreciated!!

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Who else is injured and can't ride ?’ is closed to new replies.