Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Who else has gone back to Windows 7?
  • Matt24k
    Free Member

This week most of my time has been absorbed by Windows 10 after a couple of cumulative updates sent it into the bin.
    First I couldn’t use the built in Calendar, Mail and Photos Apps and then I lost my Admin access in the process of following the MS fixit guides.
    Being a sceptical chap I had made a ghost copy of my 7 drive before I updated to 10. I am now staying with 7 until I know the bugs have been ironed out of 10.
    10 was OK until this week but on balance 7 just works better for me and the programs that I run.

daveh
    Free Member

Unintentional early adopter here (careful what ‘update’ you click on) and though it worked fine for a while, now it’s a freezing mess. Wish I could go back to 7. Can’t face rebuilding everything after a repair install at the moment either. It’s a pain. 🙁

BenjiM

If I power down the PC but down switch the PSU off at the back then upon restart Windows claims it needs to do a repair as it can’t load winload.exe. Recovery media doesn’t work with it nor does it boot into safe mode or do anything other than a boot loop. This was after the last update. Obviously I can get around it by cutting of power to the PSU but it’s a strange bug if ever I saw one.
    Everything seems to have ground to a halt too. Upon first install it was pretty rapid but only after a few weeks it’s slow. And the picture gallery, bloody hell it’s awful. Slow and lots of crashes.

matt_outandabout

We now have 18 machines at work and home, from wheezing ancient Pentiums and Net books to i7 powerhouse for out landscape architect. Not a single problem or issue, bar a couple of drivers when installing that needed to be found. Old machines are also noticeably faster.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

It hobbled our old desktop so badly it had to go.

The kids couldn’t play Minecraft either which was a deal breaker for them.

Coyote
    Free Member

Staying with 7 for the time being both at home and work. My clients are famously technophobic change terrifies them. Any upgrade at work will need to be done with extreme care.

fubar
    Free Member

I’m sticking with W7 on my work laptop as I updated my ‘newer’ laptop to W10 and since the microphone refuses to work in Skype (not an uncommon problem on Dell laptops but couple of suggestions have not resolved so far, tried new driver)

lodious
    Free Member

All our computers have been upgraded, then clean installed with Windows 10. No issues on any of them. Minecraft still working fine :-).

cp

9 year old Dell Precision with Core2Duo & 4Gb RAM here – installed Win10 a couple of days ago fine, Nvidia driver updated. All very well, speed is great.

martinhutch

Couldn’t get it working properly – some display issues I just couldn’t seem to find a way to fix, and decided it wasn’t worth the effort to carry on fettling, so just headed back.

monkeychild
    Free Member

It didn’t like the fact I dual booted with Ubuntu when I tried to upgrade, so I thought meh to it. The machines we have at work with it see ok though.

matt_outandabout

We had techy(ish) chap in this morning for photocopier/network printer issue.

He said he installed, faffed for a couple of hours with it ‘slow’, so uninstalled. I suggested that if he had left it a day to finish updates, it would have been faster.

He then went on one of our machines, and was really frustrated by lack of ‘start button’ and ‘menus’. I spent two minutes showing him how to search, and where the ‘buttons’ were…He was somewhat taken aback by how quickly I was using it to find obscure print drivers and network settings – but still dismissed windows 10 as ‘slow, frustrating and clearly not fit for purpose’.

Change. Some folk can handle it. Some cant.

Edukator
    Free Member

I haven’t gone back to 8 but have spent a lot of time making things work in 10 and still can’t find things in 10 via the start menu, even things as important as the “panneau de configuration” whatever that is in English. You have to hunt for things with the search bar which is a pain if you can’t remember what they are called. It took me an afternoon to get Fender’s Fuse software to work thanks to the help on Fender’s site.

Edit: without an old W7 laptop to refer to I’d have failed as I went through the procedure in 7 and wrote down all the files I needed so I could find them with the search bar. W8 had a menu that popped up from the corners with all the classic W7 commands.

footflaps

Stuck with 7 as I can’t be arsed with all the hassle of changing plus it offers nothing of any added value (to me).

lovewookie

trialling win 10 at the moment for work, seems OK, however sharepoint loses some functionality with win10. IE doesn’t work well with it and Edge is not great as there are some things, like the open with windows explorer function that are really useful when trying to upload folders to sharepoint.

bit clunky opening office 365 from sharepoint in edge too.

I’ll stick with it for the time being until fixes come, then probably roll it out over the rest of the company to get everyone on the same OS.

or win 11.

nemesis
    Free Member

Win10 on two PCs and a tablet. No issues once the drivers were found. W7 was fine but I certainly wouldn’t make an effort to go back to it.

johnners
    Free Member

Stuck with 7 as I can’t be arsed with all the hassle of changing plus it offers nothing of any added value (to me).

I went to 10 a few days ago just out of curiosity then spent a while switching off everything new about it which was of no interest to me and opted to “Defer upgrades”. Now I’ve got it looking and behaving more or less like 7, except it slides a search box/tile thing in from the left from time to time for no apparent reason. Which all leads me to believe it’s probably not for me and the sensible course would have been not to have bothered!

I’ll give it another couple of weeks but since MS have said 7 will be in support until 2020 which will probably see this laptop out I might just end up rolling it back.

footflaps

Fundamentally there’s nothing missing from 7 that I need, so I don’t see any point in changing.

stumpy01

Not so much gone back to 7 – just never left it.

Can’t be bothered with all the fannying around for something that to all intents & purposes will make very little difference.

I might update to Win10 at some point, but will make damn sure I have suitable things done (restore points, perhaps? And other important computer sounding things) before I take the step.
    Plus I’ll probably need a whole free weekend.

john_drummer
    Free Member

W7? Pah! I’m still running Vista 🙄

johnners
    Free Member

Fundamentally there’s nothing missing from 7 that I need, so I don’t see any point in changing.

Me neither, I was just at a bit of a loose end. Still, at least I left my main machine alone!

Beagleboy

I wouldn’t have thought my computer was that old, it’s maybe around a 3-4yr old Dell Inspiron 600. I upgraded not long after Win 10 came out and the upgrade seemed to work faultlessly, except I had no sound. Fixed that, then discovered that it was taking around 10 minutes to boot up. Tried loads of suggestions to lower the boot time and nothing worked. Then a week or so later Chrome and a couple of other programs just stopped working……and because I was still in the 1 one month grace period I clicked the “I want my computer to work like it used to” option and am now happily back with Win 7.

squirrelking
    Free Member

It didn’t like the fact I dual booted with Ubuntu when I tried to upgrade, so I thought meh to it. The machines we have at work with it see ok though.

I thought that was a general fact of life with Linux, if you install Windows after GRUB you need to redo the GRUB configuration to get the dual boot back.

Not had any problems on my media PC barring the absolutely rubbish Netflix app which, although it now works without crashing at sign in, does so with no sound. Ditched Edge as default browser and now using IE which is better in every way.

FWIW we’re still waiting to upgrade from XP at work. Think on…

Will put 10 on the main machine next week when I pick up a new SSD, 7 can lie dormant on the old HDD till I’m happy everything works as it should.

leffeboy

Came close to rolling back today :(. Outlook 2010 wouldn’t send in W10 even though the account tested ok when setting up. It took a good couple of hours to find as I thought the problem was with how I was sending mail rather than the fact that it just didn’t work. Rolling back would have fixed it but for those who care the solution is sfc /scannow

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Never left it, PC-wise, but then I hardly use the PC at home any more since getting the Galaxy Note 4 running Android, don’t y’know…

GeForceJunky

Upgraded … can no long write to Samsung tablet. Read’s fine from it, but won’t write … very annoying 🙁

chewkw
    Free Member

I am sticking to Window 7 for a long time as I don’t see any need to upgrade as I don’t use IE.

I only use my Window 7 for Office Application.

yetidave
    Free Member

W7? Pah! I’m still running Vista

Vista, I have Windows 2000 running on my PC at home 😕 struggling with some of the updates to other software though…

sbob
    Free Member

Feeling thoroughly modern with my XP then!

jimoiseau
    Free Member

I’ve updated an older laptop running 8gb ram and sdd to W10, and also updated then clean installed a brand new laptop, also running 8gb and ssd but with a much newer processor. Both are running fine, I’ve not really had any major issues, but I have found that I’ve been googling how to do things a lot since the switch. So rather than spend 5 minutes trying to find something, I spend 30 seconds trying to find something, 2 minutes on google and it’s done.

I haven’t gone back to 8 but have spent a lot of time making things work in 10 and still can’t find things in 10 via the start menu, even things as important as the “panneau de configuration” whatever that is in English.

That’s control panel, and although the start menu route is indeed horrible (start > all apps > windows system > control panel), if you right click on the start button it’s one of the options. Right clicking the start button seems to just list all of the actually useful things you used to be able to do in windows very easily, like run, command prompt, control panel etc.

chris_db
    Free Member

Me. Windows 10 just kept randomly locking my PC. Screen froze, mouse froze, only solution was power off and restart. I even changed my graphics card to see if that helped. It worked ok in safe mode but all my drivers are up to date so clearly some incompatibility.

Rather disappointed because I liked W10.

Edukator
    Free Member

Thank you Jim.

I’m now a much happier W10 user. The right click is ace and includes all the stuff from the W8 corner menus. As for Windows system I was looking under “w” where all the other windows apps are but they’ve put it under “s” – Système Windows. Sometimes I dispair of Microsoft.

newsfromthefront
    Free Member

Just reverted back to Windows 7 & my PC is finally working again!!!
    Windows 10 wouldn’t recognise my NVIDIA graphics driver & after re-installing it 3 times I gave up!
    The boot up times were painfully slow too…
    Back to normal now and wish I’d never bothered!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Lol, NVIDIA, talk about being set up to fail… (No idea why, it seems to be a thing with Windows launches that it never works, personally I’d blame NVIDIA rather than Microsoft if they can’t get their QC sorted). Try again in a couple of months when the dust has settled.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nope, not a chance – I ditched Win7 2 years ago, pushed through the 48 hour learning curve for Win8, and 8.1.

I’m on 10 now, it’s okay, it’s 8 with some concessions for 7 fans in the main, but I’m used to it now – file explorer is s bit more fiddly than it needs to be, it priorities OneDrive which is a pain on s physical based server network, but that’s probably due to me not taking the time to adjust default settings.

Like 8 though, I’ve dismissed the ‘fripperies’ the only App I use is Torex pro, I’ve binned ‘Edge’ and have a short-cut to file explorer, I only really use the Start Button / Metro screen for the type-to-search feature.

v8ninety

Well impressed with 10. Has tranformed my laptop from something I hateed to use on 8 because it kept doing weird shit without me having a clear idea of how I had accidentlaly made it happen, into a fast, streamlined beast that boots more quickly than my ipad. So, thumbs up from me.

aracer
    Free Member

Planned reversion to W7 here. I’m a firm believer in not fixing things which aren’t broken, and whilst some things in W10 are nice I had driver problems with some of my standard stuff. Not sure I’m really missing anything (I still have it in a VM though)

I presume most of the fans have come from 8 or 8.1

DiscJockey
    Free Member

The OP sounds a bit unlucky. I’ve upgraded 2 laptops and a desktop to W10 at home and it’s brilliant. All my old software from the XP/7 days works fine on them. Best OS I’ve ever used – and I’ve had (got) them all….

Some default settings might annoy people, i.e. Edge browser, and the ‘Metro’ style photo/music/video apps. But it’s easy to make everything go back to the proper desktop versions, and IE11 if you want. It’s better than W8.1 and that was better than W7. No good reason to go back….

squirrelking
    Free Member

I presume most of the fans have come from 8 or 8.1

God no, I avoided those car crashes altogether, every other rule innit?

matt_outandabout

Yet Win 8.1 was as stable as win 7 for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Who else has gone back to Windows 7?’ is closed to new replies.