Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Who else has broken a set of light bicycle carbon rims?
  • EddieFiola
    Free Member

I have a set of 32 hole 29’er carbon rims off them. On a quite tame ride the other day a rock flung up and walloped the rear rim resulting in a massive dint and a crack.
    Ive only had them 6 months of light riding.

Any one else?

what did they do about it?

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Bump

julians
    Free Member

Theres a massive thread on here talking about lb rims, and theres a few tales of breakages.

I cracked a 26 inch wide all Mountain rim a couple of years ago.

otsdr
    Free Member

Yeah, but the tales usually don’t mention any boulder, just “light riding” and a couple of rides :P.

@OP: I believe you do the same thing you do when you break any other brand of rims: you bin them and buy new ones.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Yes, I’m aiming to buy some new ones, but some one once said they do crash replacements, hence my question.

mikekay
    Free Member

ive done two in, a 26″ and a 27.5. first was my fault but with a bit of discussion i got them to drop the price a bit, the second just failed so they sent me a new one. Got 4 sets now and still think they are a great bargain.

Northwind

I got one of the original 26 inch rears- broke it on a rock at bikeparkwales after a couple of years, some of which was pretty hard use (uplift days on the hardtail inc fort william, a bunch of SES rounds, and a spell in the full suss where it did an EWS… Very happy with that tbh, it replaced an alu rim which was about 100g heavier yet less strong, and it was a big enough wallop that anything but a dh rim would have been on the line.

Out of warranty and frankly, not remotely a warranty issue anyway! But since I was buying a new set for the 29er I sent them a polite email and they gave me a decent rebate off a new one.

All in all, incredibly happy with all of that. I’ve had another 26er set, the heavier duty 33mm ones, which did me fine but have been retired now in favour of some 29er ones which I’ve really only used a couple of times.

kimbers

I broke one trying to ride thru a rock garden with a flat at Ae, its done 2 EWS a Mega and 2 seasons of UKGE so I’m fine with that.
    I’ve killed a lot of ally rims too tbf

6 mths, is still within warranty, drop them a mail they are pretty good

crush83
    Free Member

@Julians

26 inch wide. thats bloody massive!

scaled
    Free Member

I broke one in 2 places, in 14 miles of riding…

They weren’t interested in a warranty claim.

Replaced with a DT Swiss ex471 and procore

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, I’ve emailed them and they’ve offered me one a bit cheaper, but they said it isn’t a warranty claim as its been hit by a rock.
    Not to worry,
    All good

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Who else has broken a set of light bicycle carbon rims?’ is closed to new replies.