Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Who can explain sram shifter to shimano rear mech compatibilty
  • georgecats_0
    Free Member

I know some sram shifters don’t work with certain shimano rear mechs, but which ones do?

RoterStern
    Free Member

AFAIK only the twist shifters work with Shimano.

Northwind

9 speed sram very nearly works with 10 speed shimano rear mech- to get it to work properly just needs a wee 6mm spacer, was quite the thing for a while to get clutches on 9 speed,I had an X9/XT 9.5 speed combo for a bit.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

And the Attack range of Trigger shifters.

Basically, they’re not compatible apart from the clearly labeled ones.

xyeti
    Free Member

Not me that’s for sure, I can’t even thread a gear cable through a SRAM shifter, just fitted new bars and spent 45 mins effing and blinding at the top of my voice before retiring to drink tea, eat cake and succumb to Google.

What you may already know is that SRAM use 1.1mm cables, the rest of the world use 1.2mm cables, the larger will NOT fit in the smaller hole, my fingers are raw and my neighbours now think I’ve got some one in the garage with a small hole that won’t effing work,

Kieran

If i remember correctly (its been a few years since I’ve tried) then the SRAM kit with names (i.e. Attack) rather than numbers (X9, 9.0) will work with Shimano

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What you may already know is that SRAM use 1.1mm cables, the rest of the world use 1.2mm cables, the larger will NOT fit in the smaller hole,

Replaced a bunch of SRAM cables with standard shimano ones in x9/x0 shifters.

The only directly compatible ones are the attack.
    The trick with a spacer is there for the rest.
    Apparently the 11sp is.

Just get the RAM mech instead.

antigee

What you may already know is that SRAM use 1.1mm cables, the rest of the world use 1.2mm cables, the larger will NOT fit in the smaller hole, my fingers are raw and my neighbours now think I’ve got some one in the garage with a small hole that won’t effing work,

no I didn’t know that and useful to know – makes mental note not to “finger” any sram mech’s

hypnotoad
    Free Member

9 speed sram very nearly works with 10 speed shimano rear mech- to get it to work properly just needs a wee 6mm spacer, was quite the thing for a while to get clutches on 9 speed,I had an X9/XT 9.5 speed combo for a bit.

My 8 speed SRAM shifter also work well with shimano normal 10 speed Zee mech, no spacer needed for me.

Also is there any difference between shimano 10 speed dynasis and normal 10 speed?

Northwind

I’ve put SP41 cable- 1.2mm- in loads of SRAM, never a problem. Fitting any cable to a 9 speed X9 shifter is a pain in the cock though.

dustytrails

Basically, the reality is they’re not compatible!!…..Life’s too short to try and get them to work together (Front mechs are ok tho afaik)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Who can explain sram shifter to shimano rear mech compatibilty’ is closed to new replies.