• This topic has 113 replies, 80 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by core.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)
  • Who actually 'really' uses their car?
  • Lots of nonsense about cars being ‘white goods’ aside, do you actually use your motor for anything other than a convenient mode of transport?

My dolphin killer today…. 😉

[url=https://flic.kr/p/roiwov]Untitled[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

JulianA
    Free Member

Yes! Love driving my car. The drive to work is a pleasure – only a shame it has to stop. Work is mostly good, though.

Sometimes go out for the sheer joy of driving – lucky enough to live in some great countryside. Roof down, great views – what’s not to love?

And it will do 145mph…

samuri
    Free Member

Nope. It’s very rare we use our cars for anything other than being lazy buggers. Could do it all by bike.

I think moving house required a number of vehicles but general day to day, meh. People lie to themselves so much.

There’s certainly plenty of people who really do need a car to cart stuff about or go long distances but I’m not one of them any more and yet there are two cars outside my house. I admit it’s wrong. My only excuse is that mine really just does sit in front of the house most of the time. And it sits there more and more nowadays. I cycle to work, I cycle to the shops, no need for the thing.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

My ageing pug estate is a proper tool. It rattles, carries bikes, carries camping kit, carries shit, I sleep in it and it takes me to work when the weather is bad.

climbingkev
    Free Member

Holidays, that is all. Wife and I both walk to work. Drive to the rocks/trails if needed. We enjoy getting away, otherwise I’d happily be a no car family. Don’t do silly short journeys, if we get in the car is for a few hours.

cbike
    Free Member

4×3 metres of truss, two Flightcases and some cables are a typical mission.
    Currently delivering pizza! as “between jobs”

(The Boat and Bike are for sale if anyone is interested)

Northwind

Mine gets used a little for work, usually just hauling boxes around the campus. And also for trailbuilding- it’s not a 4×4 but it’s otherwise an ideal site vehicle- it’s got pretty knobbly tyres, it’s massive, and it’s already full of mud and covered in scratches. A ruined mondeo can go places a nice 4×4 won’t 😆

andyl
    Free Member

Yup,

no photos in action but tow one of these with our Freelander:

As a the baby land rover I wasnt expecting much but it has certainly impressed. A couple of times I’ve thought it was going to get stuck but it’s coped with everything so far with just M&S road tyres as it’s also used for commuting.

FL replaced my long suffering 306 estate for towing duties which was used to a tow a smaller trailer as well as lugging around surprisingly heavy chunks of carbon fibre wing sections that I cut up and test.

Looking at Defenders and D3’s now so i can get a 3500kg trailer.

welshfarmer

My car. At work…

and at play..

aP
    Free Member

Nope. Where I live, only an idiot drives to work.
    I cycle.

wrightyson
    Free Member

My van everyday just about, our car 50% of the year tops!

ElShalimo

Welshfarmer – where is that “play” track?

h1jjy
    Free Member

My little Ford Puma gets well used. Not just for work but for play as well.
    I do around 20k a year in it, it’s modified with a vinyl wrap and does lots of car shows.
    carries my bike in the back, also dogs, household items and Xmas trees.
    As its a ‘sporty’ coupe it gets driven hard over the tops as well

shifter
    Free Member

It’s not white 😛
    [/url]
    Loaded by woldspinner, on Flickr[/img]

hora
    Free Member

It took me through three other countries at Christmas and everywhere in the snow (including closed roads)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yep enjoy driving mine every day. I have a nice scenic journey to work with some fantastic roads. Often have ESP/traction switched off and oversteer fun 🙂

bearnecessities

Yes. Lots.

In fact I’m driving now.

thegreatape
    Free Member

EDIT – I misunderstood the question. It’s very early 🙂

cranberry
    Free Member

Yes, on occasion.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/roSdFv]

ton

weekly shop……..end of.

Onzadog
    Free Member

In the last 9 months my focus has done about 20k miles with the boot stuffed full of work equipment. There’s no other way of doing what needs to be done.

It is white though. Personally, I’d rather have a van but it’s not an option in my role. In fact, something like that thing up top would make more sense.

grum
    Free Member

Me last weekend:

Unless you do stuff like this you’re not really ‘using’ your car IMO.

alexpalacefan

FuncyDunc, I take it you drive on a private road.
    Or at least one where there is [list]never[/list]any other traffic.

Otherwise, on a public road, what sort of person would deliberately drive so fast that the car loses grip, and then turn off the mechanism designed to cope with it?

APF

bikebouy
    Free Member

I went for.a Pootle last night in mine.

Travelling to and from London also Harrogate is much easier by car when carrying bikes and kit.

bigad40
    Free Member

grum, you don’t have a scooby

titusrider
    Free Member

Have fun funkydunk!

I’ve got a golf gti mk7, drove down to the south of France on some proper roads this summer and was able to use all its performance through the alpine roads and get my heel and toe sorted 🙂

Love driving, the sound, g forces

br
    Free Member

Yep, every day.

On most of my journeys there is no way other than to use my car – living in the country plus kids to ferry around.

TheFlyingOx

FuncyDunc, I take it you drive on a private road.
    Or at least one where there is
    never
    any other traffic.
    Otherwise, on a public road, what sort of person would deliberately drive so fast that the car loses grip, and then turn off the mechanism designed to cope with it?
    APF

What sort of person has such a poor grasp of basic physics that they think the only way to induce oversteer is to “deliberately drive so fast that the car loses grip”? I certainly wouldn’t feel confident in a car being driven by someone like that.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup, but again no pics on site..
    Must rectify this…

cloudnine
    Free Member

Had a VW T4 for 10 years.. It earns me money, it takes me to work, camping.. It’s ace.

ontor
    Free Member

@cbike How much for the HASE?!

pictonroad

I used to.

😥 might have to get rid this year, done 50 miles in 4 months.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

My X-reg Octavia will never be sold on. It’s battered, broken and bruised from the abuse. I regularly sleep in it whilst on mini road trips with my bike. It’s been fully loaded with small bale straw, bags of cattle feed, dogs, beer kegs, mates, bikes, all my worldy goods. There’s more oil on the ceiling than on my bike and there’s a big deep scratch down the wing caused by the bike falling against it. My heart has been broken, I’ve cried, I’ve been broken and in total need in it. I’ve had amazing times in it, seen the sun rise and fall in some beautiful places, laughed like a loon, got my oats in (on) it.
    And still she rattles on at a good pace.

Kryton57

Yep, it carts me around the UK for work, and with bike. In fact I shall be packing it later for both in Norfolk tomorrow and Monday.

Looking at the pics above, it’s only me that agonises about the impact on mpg with stuff on the roof then?

Drac

Yup I do, love driving. It’s due to be replaced soon though which means I’m getting kicked out of the STW niche club.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/djv927]A3 Black Edition[/url] by -Drac-, on Flickr

oldgit
    Free Member

Nope not any more.
    ‘Needed’ a Landrover before for work, then didn’t. Then didn’t even need a car. So sold up.
    So no car.

Funnily enough this Sunday I’m stuck for the first time ever.

I sit on the car cash instead.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have had sunburn in my convertible, speeding tickets in my sports car and muddy in my 4×4 so I guess that is a YES

spooky_b329

‘Working’ hard:

[Img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7118/7656797846_7254dc6560_h.jpg[/img]

chvck
    Free Member

Mine has moved once in the last 2 weeks – to go to Morrisons. Usually used for carrying the bike for night rides… It is a rather useful thing to have though!

northernmatt

Page 2 and there isn’t one of these yet?

Currently used for commuting to work but that will change soon. After that it’ll only get used at weekends for going shopping/cgucking bikes in/going to the tip etc. Gets used for a long trip at least once a month to see parents and then a couple of european jaunts a year as well.

Not a patch on this though. This got used for it’s intended purpose which was making me grin like an idiot everytime I got in it. So much fun, I do miss it and wish I could get another but prices have gone up a lot since then.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Who actually 'really' uses their car?’ is closed to new replies.