Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Whiteways – casual encounter.
  • fisherboy
    Free Member

I was up at whiteways this morning with my riding buddy and we were stopped along deadwood by a ranger/gamekeeper type and had an interesting chat for a while. I have now idea about his authority but he seem credible enough and fairly well informed.

Essentaly he stopped us to warn us that the whole whiteways area does not have any designated open access agreement or right to roam other than down by fairmile. (to be fair though he was roaming himself). Historical a blind eye has been turned to this but there are rumblings afoot. The freehold of the land is owned by the norfolk estate, a small piece is leased to the forestry commison, mainly the conifer sections and the remaining green leaf areas are leased to various tennant farmers. From what i can gather its the subsequent shooting rights that are causing a problem.

As we are now encroaching into areas that were once very secluded and with the increase in traffic this is moving the wildlife on and out of the forest. Its the larger groups of riders that are causing most concern. Mainly from noise but also litter. One particular group was seen to stop, have a picnic and leave a pile of rubbish. As the guy said every walk of life has ignorant people but its not doing our image any good.

As well as the occasional shoot (there was in fact one today over by madehurst) another thing to be aware of is that rangers do operate in the area culling deer. Their operations can be any day and any time and by there very nature concealed.

The guy seemed a reasonalble chap and was just pointing out the mutterings that are happening. As he said we are all in the forest to enjoy it and with a bit of consideration we can all live together. He wished us well on our ride.

PS It is now confirmed the ticks in whiteways carry lymes disease. Take care.

Edric64
    Free Member

Dont forget right to roam only extends to walking anyway ,not cycling or horseriding

winterfold
    Free Member

When I read this thread title I did think it was going to be a story of how Feel My Bottom acquired it’s alternative name 🙂

Thanks for the info.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Whiteways – casual encounter.’ is closed to new replies.