Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Whiteless pike route
  • ninjajoiner
    Free Member

Can anyone help me decide on a good route that takes in whiteless pike in the lakes.

rascal
    Free Member

Will watch this with interest.
    I’m planing a Whiteless Pike descent soon but unsure of best ascent.
    Unless someone tells me otherwise I’ll go up Gasgale Gill to Coledale Hause, take in a few summits with a WP blast back down to Buttermere. Looks bloody ace 🙂

scary_carey
    Free Member

This is a route I did last year that took in Whiteless Pike. The route is a bit of an epic but it gives you an idea of what’s on offer https://www.strava.com/activities/194029463#4562794921
    Whiteless Pike is defo up there as one of the best descents in the Lakes – ok its a footpath but its not as busy as some and I’ve never had any grief on there.

This is a route I did a few years ago that also took in the Whiteless Pike a bit less severe but still a quality loop
    https://www.strava.com/activities/21376824#382411814

I can’t wait to get back to the Lakes got to be one of the best places on the planet to ride 😀

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Up Stonycroft Gill from Newlands.

Over Sail and Wandope to Whiteless Pike

When you get to the bottom, the easiest way back is left and up round Whiteless breast, Bleak Rigg and down the Rigg Beck singletrack back to Newlands.

The better way back is right and up Gasgale Gill, from there you can either go onto Grisedale Pike and down any number of ways, or drop in to Coledale.

The Coledale descent is really really good. Mind you, all the descents up there are really really good.

When you get to the bottom again if you’re not tired, back up Stonycroft and over Barrow is about 45-60 minutes, the descent off the front of Barrow is brilliant.

mjsmke
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tick!

ninjajoiner
    Free Member

Whiteless pike yesterday this’s what went down.
    Drove to Keswick first for a full English in Witherspoons then parked up at braithwaite.
    Peddled along the road to thornthwaite and took the fire road up into whinlatter forest. Picked up the south red trail climb to the top and jumped the fence onto grizedale pike.
    Pedal, push then hike a bike onto the top of grizedale.
    The wind was strong on the tops making the pedal to coaldale hause interesting.
    a bit more climbing got us onto whiteless edge an awesome downhill then a short climb onto whiteless pike.
    This is what biking in the lakes is all about for me. Super technical super steep what a gem of a trail. Didn’t do too bad of a job of getting down it for my first time (top ten on that strava thingy)
    Swung left at the bottom and picked up the singletrack up the valley whitch takes you onto the rig beck downhill witch never disappoints.
    Spits you out onto the newlands pass road back into braithwaite
    27km 1386m elevation time 3h

rascal
    Free Member

Had a cracking day’s riding in the Lakes last Thurs.
    Went up Gasgale Gill from Buttermere to Coledale Hause – interesting trying to get up some tricky ledges with a bike in tow! Went across to Grisedale Pike, Hopegill Head and Sand Hill before a long scree hike up onto Grasmoor – has the entire summit plateau to myself on a glorious day – the views off there to the Scafells are amazing. Fast scree descent before approaching Wandope – the day was all about Whiteless Pike so it was with some trepidation I dropped the Reverb and flicked the Propedal off.
    Some of the Whiteless Edge stuff is pretty hairy – I was very aware of the yawning drop to the left and my own mortality! The descent off Whiteless Pike is initially mental…someone on here said it’s not as technical as Ullock Pike….are you kidding? I’ve walked up Ullock before and thought there weren’t too many techy bits as I scoped it for a future ride. I’m not a bad rider (not mega technical) but some of that was way out of my comfort zone. Once the steps are cleared it was fast and sweeping and big grin time.
    You’ve got to be a very skillful rider to get the best out of WP IMHO. Most walkers were fine but you could tell the grumpy anti-bike brigade as you got the glare of disapproval…thought it was fair game on a Thurs afternoon though as not too busy. T’was a great ride and that ice cold Stella in the blazing sunshine at the Bridge Inn was like nectar!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Whiteless pike route’ is closed to new replies.