Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • White lightning Clean Ride
  • bigjim

no not the drink of champions but the wax chain lube.

anyone use it? opinonions?

I put it on the other day for the first time but made the schoolboy error of not cleaning the chain properly perfectly first and now have a black sticky mess on my chain that appears to be impossible to remove, as it has fished all the blackness out from inside the chain that I missed. Any tips for getting it off again?

busydog
    Free Member

I have used White Lightning for years now here in the desert southwest of the US and love it. Not sure how it might perform in the much wetter UK climate, but here it works very well and I never end up with a black/gunky chain–however, you do need to to start with a clean chain. I’d recommend cleaning it with a chain cleaner (i.e. Park or some such) and good chain cleaning fluid, letting it dry, then applying the White Lightning. I just turn the crank and wipe the entire chain with a cloth, then reapply the lube. Because it’s so dry and dusty here, I lube the chain about every third ride or so. My chain continues to look like a new one.

hs125
    Free Member

I’ve used this for some time and would recommend it. If there is any other lube on the chain at all it will gunge up and not dry out, attracting grit, so you need a really clean drive train to start off with. A solvent cleaner may be best to do this.
    Apply the Clean Ride sparingly, and wipe off any excess, or you can get lumps of wax building up.
    On wet rides it can wash off pretty quickly compared to other lubes. I gave up using it on the commuter as it could need applying twice a day in really wet weather (and it’s not cheap), but on the fs which generally gets some tlc after each ride it is ideal, espescially this spring as we’ve had no significant rain here in the south east for months.
    I can’t say whether or not it will make your chain last any longer, but it is an easy way of keeping a chain free of grit or grinding paste with minimal effort, as long as you don’t mind applying it a little more often in the wet.
    One more thing, don’t apply it right at the start of a ride as it needs time for the solvent to evaporate to work best.

bigjim

hmm yeah maybe I should have cleaned it properly first! the oil/wax goo is worse than dirty oil. will see how it goes anyway, its been dry up here in scotland recently so might be ok for the summer at least.

brassneck

I found it a bit too faffy compared with ProGold which stays on and stays clean.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Best plan of attack is to use Clean Streak to get it all off and then when the chain is cleaned reapply the lube.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘White lightning Clean Ride’ is closed to new replies.