• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • White industries free wheel – worth the money?
  • mattk
    Free Member

Need to replace a single speed drive train but there is a huge difference in price between the shimano and ics free wheels I’ve been looking at and the ‘oh so shiny’ WI one.

Anyone running one and have you regretted paying so much for what is usually considered a disposable component?

amedias
    Free Member

Shimano ~15-20 quid depending where you get it
    Wi ~80 quid

so, would have to to either be 4x better, or last 4x longer to be worth it…

Reality is they are a lot better pickup wise than Shimano/other cheap options and seem less prone to spontaneous failure, but I’d be hard pushed to say 4x better.

Longevity wise, you have to factor many things here, where and how you ride etc, but they *do* last longer, and they’re re-buildable which counts for a lot, bearings are cheap even if drive rings aren’t. I’ve only knackered one drive ring in about 5 years, bearing seems to need doing once a a year on 16t, less frequent on my 17t one.

Personally I would say yes they are worth it on longevity and re-buildability grounds, but then I’m also getting good results from a Halo Clickster at the moment which is half the price of the WI and actually has even better pickup, don’t think spares are available for rebuilding it but then I’ve not had to open it to do anything yet….could be worth a look.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I think yes. When I first set up my SS I used old kit, then used an old bmx gear but it failed inside a few months, tried another of the same and it also failed shortly thereafter. The first WI one lasted a year before it needed anything doing and we’re talking about riding offroad on it 2/3 times a week in that time. When it failed I bought another and have had it fitted 2 or 3 years now but admit i ride it less as i have another new bike in that time.

For me the cost has to include consideration for hassle of sorting out a new one when it does start to go, the process of getting it sorted again and again.

ski
    Free Member

They come in a neat box too, so yes 😉

IA

Yes, lasts far far longer, and freewheel going pop is often literally a pain.

jimsmith
    Free Member

yeah worth it i reckon
    I used to go through at least 1 DX a year commuting
    had the wi one for 5 years now, serviced a couple of times
    its nice but yea pricey…

emanuel
    Free Member

sjs are doing shimano 18t fw for a tenner.

MrGreedy

DX has lasted five years with no bother here so that’s what it’ll be getting replaced with. That’s on a commute bike so not much mud and grit, but all weathers. Difficult to see how WI can be worth that much more on a purely functional basis, but they’re definitely blingier.

MrAgreeable

I’ve heard mixed reports of how reliable WI freewheels are, definitely better than Shimano though. I’ve had two DX freewheels die a sudden death in quick succession (as in, totally failed and left me to push home) and don’t want to go back.

A mate who’s had two WI freewheels seize now swears by V!z freewheels from Tartybikes. The finishing’s not quite as nice (and mine arrived ready-scuffed!) but they have a quick pickup, build quality seems OK and they’re £45 rather than £80.

footflaps

The DX on my commuter has lasted years riding every day come rain or snow, and not missed a beat yet (no ever been serviced).

franki
    Free Member

You can get WI a bit cheaper if you shop around. 😉
    They do feel much nicer and smoother running than Shimano (the pedals don’t turn when you wheel the bike forwards!) and have a very loud tick, which is nice. I’ve not had mine long enough to compare lifespans with Shimano, but I’ve done a few monsoonal rides already and initial signs are good.
    I used to get about 9 months out of a DX before they started to slip.
    Doubt I’ll buy anything other than WI from now on, especially now I’ve found a ratio I’m really happy with and shouldn’t be changing tooth size to suit terrain so much.

takisawa2

WI Trials one here. It just goes on & on.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Yes. I’ve killed shimano dx freewheels in 3 months. I have a WI 17T used for off road commute year round. Probably got 5000 + miles on in 5 years. rarely gets cleaned. Only done one bearing replacement in that time which was easy.

Bought mine from the states when the dollar was weak. so only paid 50 notes for it.

Bez

Mine just kept on rocking through several winters with no maintenance, and I assume continues to do so now its parent bike has a new owner.

I went over the bars thanks to a Shimano one once (a brand spanking new one at that). I like to avoid that sort of shizzle.

IME it’s worth the extra for both the longevity and the reliability.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘White industries free wheel – worth the money?’ is closed to new replies.