Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Whistler anyone been there?
  • toys19
    Free Member

I have the opportunity to go to Whistler in the summer, a relative has a gaff right by the main cable car, but they only ski and don't know much about what happens there in the summer.

I've been to the alps loads but wondered what to expect in Whistler – will the logistics and genral riding be similar?
    Whats it like anything to know, summer lift passes?

Cheers

nasher
    Free Member

Its regarded as the best place to ride.ever…in the world

Go

LOTS of info on the web, and theres riding for everyone.
    Oh… and GO!!!!!

sparkerfix

We were there last year for three days as part of a Canada tour. We hired a couple of bikes for a day and did a bit of local stuff. It really is superb riding with all sorts to choose fron, xc/downhill etc. We're planning to go back for longer this year with our own bikes this time.

Go, you'll not be dissapointed.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Well if you like riding like this I would say it would be a very good idea to go there indeed.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Went summer 2008. Best two weeks riding of my life, did more riding in 12days than you get in several years over here. Trails are awesome and lift assist is the future. Go right to the top and its a 20 minute downhill run to the bottom.

Theres meant to be some amazing XC / trail riding if you like pedalling up to.

Lift passes are pretty reasonable, towns not the cheapest, but i have never seen as many attractive young ladies in one place at one time.

I have also never seen so many lovely ladies riding bikes. (most better than me)

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Great place, lots more than just skinnys and huge jumps. Go. You won't be disappointed.

jimmy

you lucky lucky lucky basturd. Seriously, can I come?

toys19
    Free Member

Roter Stern – Member

Well if you like riding like this I would say it would be a very good idea to go there indeed.

I do like riding like that!

the_lecht_rocks

keep yer wits about you on the sea to sky, then ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brakes
    Free Member

go, but be prepared. when you come home the UK trails that you ride will seem rubbish for at least 6 months.

RudiBoy
    Free Member

dont make the mistake of staying in whistler though, as good as the place is there are places around there that will test your riding skills further.

Ride dont slide was my favourate trail in whistler, but a few on cypress (sp) on the north shore of vacouver were just unreal

Michael-B
    Free Member

That will be a yes then I think some people even live there 🙂

SBrock
    Free Member

Are you crazy! Whistler is the hub of the universe!

I'm 41 and I intend to go before I die!

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

As RudiBoy says, Whistler village itself is just a tiny part of a whole area of excellent riding. There is truly something for everyone and I think you'd struggle to get bored even if you were out there for the whole season.

I'd highly recommend it.

oldfart

Ticket2ridebc.com have some excellent guides if you want to stray from the bike park .
    I shall be out there kind of working for 5 months . 😀 stop by and say hello !

Coyote
    Free Member

Been three times now. Had my 38th, 40th and 43rd birthdays there. I intend to go a few more times in the future.

The bike park is biking mecca but as others have said there is plenty good xc / trail riding around Whistler and Squamish. Hell if you're stopping in Whistler get the sky to sea bus and spend a few days on the North Shore. You'll have a blast but as Bakes said be prepared for a mahoosive come down when you get back.

lammy
    Free Member

Go. Just go.
    A day in the bike park followed by a "baseball" steak washed down with some Canadian and cocktails is about as much fun as you can have. Infact, f@@k it, I'm going back there……

wl
    Free Member

Whistler and BC are great – if you like interesting, technical riding I reckon the Garbanzo stuff is best in the park. You don't need a guide for the park, and there's supposedly great stuff around the resort too. Defo check out Squamish for fun/tech/accessible trails, and I really enjoyed Frome at Vancouver's North Shore (true, it's not all silly skinnies). Beyond Whistler by an hour or two, Pemberton is ace and the Chilcotins offer amazing epics in the backcountry (you'll probably need a guide or a buddy or a decent map and plenty of confidence to ride here – it's remote and grizzly bear territory). If you've time and transport, Nelson is a great little heritage town with superb trails, particularly dh trails.

shakeythejakey
    Free Member

Roter Stern – Member

Man thats one good trail!

Better start planning a trip there now! 😀

lister

I went in 1995 8), we like to think that we started the whole summer riding industry in Whistler and introduced the idea of riding on flats, the locals all clipped in!
    Stayed in the Shoestring Lodge that had a strip bar attached to it and had to have guides to ride on the mountain to check the logging trucks weren't on the trails…
    Saw a bear in the town centre, got stoned by the lake with the local BMXers, took daft photos of the locations in Ski School the movie and had a blast.
    Bought my first Oakleys, Airwalks and Mambo t-shirt there. Still wish I'd bought the Kona Hot frame that was beautiful and my size. Took part in the Loony Race for the grand fee of a dollar. Up the mountain and back then a BBQ and beer.

Can only imagine a) how good the trails must be now
    b) how busy it must be.
    I'll go back one day…I hope.

toys19
    Free Member

Ok you lot have said too much, I'm going, I'm going! Just gotta find something to do with the kids for 2 weeks..

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Whistler anyone been there?’ is closed to new replies.