Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Whisky – Highland Park
  • GlitterGary
    Free Member

Just watching the footy highlights and having a couple of whiskys. Highland Park is ok, but nowt to write home about, I can’t see why people rave about it. Does anyone have any recommendations for a better whisky? (More interesting perhaps). Cheers folks!

sweepy
    Free Member

Laphroaig, you might not like the top of the bottle, but by the time youve got to the bottom it will taste lovely.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Cheers Sweepy. Love a bit of laphroig, just got recommended Highland Park and it’s ok, just nowt special. I prefer Old Pulteney, Glenmorangie and dare I say it, Jura.

Woody
    Free Member

Lagavulin. I’m not a whisky drinker but I make an exeption for this one 😉

highclimber
    Free Member

Jura, Auchentoschen, Knockando are my faves.

ste_t
    Free Member

Bowmore 12yr. Lovely moderate smoky peat, but without blowing your face off like Laphroig

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

It depends entirely which Highland Park you have – the 12 is good (I think), the 15 is gash… but the 18+ ones are where it is at 😉 Some of the special bottlings are rather good too!

But by and large I tend to gravitate more towards the Islay malts and Talisker. Pultney is in there too, rather partial to a dram of that. And Scapa for a lighter nip.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

It depends entirely which Highland Park you have – the 12 is good (I think), the 15 is gash… but the 18+ ones are where it is at 😉 Some of the special bottlings are rather good too!

But by and large I tend to gravitate more towards the Islay malts and Talisker. Pultney is in there too, rather partial to a dram of that. And Scapa for a lighter nip.

gamo
    Free Member

Had a seriously bad head all day after a few Highland Parks last night:(

colournoise

Laphroaig or Caol Ila.

slainte 😉 rob

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It’s the 12 year old, Kronos. Don’t get me wrong, it’s ok, but nothing special at all. Much prefer Pulteney, it’s just a shame my bottle of it is empty.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Pultney is damn fine – that and Park 12 are quite often my “everyday” drams (or Bunnahabhain 12 when I can get it). For proper Park though you really want to get an 18, lovely… and very Christmas cakey.

I don’t know what my favourite is at the moment mind… quite partial to a good Ardbeg, love Caol Isla too… hmmm… I am tending more towards random bottlings at the moment though rather than standard distillery bottlings. The Signatory Un-filtered stuff is currently being explored 😉

goldfish24

Another vote for the laphroaig here. what with you asking for something more interesting, it’s just gotta be.

bigG
    Free Member

+1 for Laphraoig or Caol Ila. Most certainly the finest whiskies on the planet

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Try a Dalwhinnie. You won’t be disappointed.

Pook

ardbeg for the win

big_scot_nanny

I love my Islays, lowland ones I find too bland, but my favourite non islay but still vary interesting tipple- Glenrothes.

Really lovely, had some last night with my Haggis!

Kev

clubber
    Free Member

Balvenie double wood. lovely.

mikedoubleu
    Free Member

+1 Caol Ila
    +1 Ardbeg
    Also consider Lagavulin (16yr good) and Bunnahabhain.

Agree Highland Park is overrated. IMO its a Mondeo of whiskies.

Cougar

I like Mondeos.

If you like LP, you’ll like Ardbeg and Lagavulin.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Lagavulin.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bowmore, Talisker, Dalwhinnie, Dalmore, Ardbeg, Edradour, Balvenie, Springbank.

Gribs

I do like Highland Park as it’s very easy to drink but I’m surprised by the love for Old Pulteney as I bought a bought a bottle of the 12 year old as it was cheap in Booths, £19, but it’s a bit bland. My prefered tipple is Ardbeg Uigeadail but if I fancy something a bit lighter and sweeter then the older (18+) Glenlivets go down very well.

zokes
    Free Member

I’ve usually had the 16 yo Lagavulin, but recently got a bottle of cask strength 12yo, which IMO is a much more interesting dram…

Spin
    Free Member

HP is a good beginners dram

thecrookofdevon

Tried the Islay Malts many times especially after reading Ian Banks’ book ‘Raw Spriit’. However really can’t get past the this is punishment of a medicinal nature and not pleasure.
    Like Highland Park but then again used to have a girlfriend from Orkney and the two kind of went together.
    You can’t go wrong with Speyside Malts. Glenlivet being particularly fine.
    Also don’t always assume that the taste improves with age – the only thing on the up is the price IMO.

skink2020

15yr Scapa is my all time favorite.
    However, the Brora 25 year old that my friend stole from his grandad was truly outstanding.

geologist
    Free Member

Clynelish

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Whisky – Highland Park’ is closed to new replies.