Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Whippy 29ers
  • deejayen
    Free Member

I’ve been looking into steel 29ers, and from reviews I’ve read, and a couple of frames I’ve seen, they generally seem to be fairly beefy. I suppose rigid steel forks and rear stays have to be such in order to withstand braking forces from disc brakes, and a solid ride probably isn’t a bad thing in a mountain bike.

However, I’m coming from an olde-worlde-roade outlook where skinny steel tubes are considered lovely…

It’s got me idly wondering if a ‘whippy’ 29er is available – in my mind’s eye I’m seeing slender tubes with curved fork blades and v-brakes, but with modern geometry.

I’m sure the answer will be ‘yes’, but are there any reasons why something like this would be a really bad idea?

tomd
    Free Member

So essentially you want something with geometry to allow you to go fast downhill like a modern bike, with the twangy steel tubes to make it scary and without good brakes?

deejayen
    Free Member

Yes, I think that sums it up! 😀 Who makes ’em?

tmb467
    Free Member

sounds like you need a road bike

Clink

Niner SIR9?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

To get something V compatible I’d say you would have to look at custom or ebay. I had a Kona Unit with Dedacciai tubing which was very nice and V compatible. Is the V brake frame request because of the perceived stiffness of a disc bike? If so thats not always the case, some of the Niner steel bikes and Singular too have that classic steel frame feel with discs, there are quite a few more too. And something like Salsa’s Cro Moto forks have a nice compliance to them but are straight legged.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve had a swift and now own an El-Mariachi.

Both are decidely old-skool XC/Trail bikes, just 29ers, they’re not long/slack/low or anything like that.

The Swift is the more flexible/comfortable/’steel is real’ of the two by quite a margin, especialy the fork, the Chromoto is much much stiffer than the Singular fork (not in a bad twisting way, in a more comfortable way), the Salsa is much more direct and stiff.

V-brakes actualy require a stiffer frame than disk’s as they need the stays braced together and stiff to stop them splaying appart, disk brakes mean they can be less stiff as they don’t have to resist those forces. Whereas with disks all that force is contained in the calliper.

tomd
    Free Member

I’ve got an El Mariachi with the Salsa Firestarter fork. That’s a very “twangy” and compliant fork.

niksnr
    Free Member

Charge Cooker. Ive got the older 2012 model but the new ones are still relatively skinny tubed with modern geometry. Tange Infinity tubing. Really ‘twangy’ but nothing it can’t handle with a decent set of wheels. British too!

deejayen
    Free Member

That’s helpful. I did wonder about V-brake bracing. It’ll make things simpler if discs don’t automatically make for a harsher ride. It’s just a shame there are no curved forks!

The Swift has been on my shortlist – it seems one of the those bikes you can’t really go too far wrong with.

The Niner looks nice, but is expensive – getting into custom bike territory.

I read a recent review of the 2014 Charge – it’s a nice looking bike, but it came across as a harsh ride in comparison with some other steel bikes.

oxym0r0n

Rim choice might be limited with v’s too?

Metasequoia

Niner MCR, or SIR fit’s, I’ve got an 2009 MCR, expensive though…

fenboy

niner sir 9

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Whippy 29ers’ is closed to new replies.