Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Whining brakes… help me (please) before I go MAAAAAD!!
  • psychle
    Free Member

Fitted a new set of Formula The One's to my Enduro… lovely brakes and stupidly powerful. Problem is, when I'm riding along the front rotor rubs ever so slightly on the pad, this generates a supremely annoying high-pitched 'whine', occasionally interspersed with a scraping noise… if I ride with the front lever lightly depressed (not enough to actually brake) the noise goes away, similarly if I drag the pads for a bit or brake hard, the noise goes away for a few seconds before returning…

Any ideas on what I can do to eliminate it? I've tried loosening off the caliper, clamping down on the rotor and re-tightening, doesn't work. I've tried doing the same thing but with paper spacers between the pad/rotor (to give a little bit of tolerance), doesn't work…

Please help, I almost threw my bike in the canal last night it was so annoying!

cheers 🙂

banjowhacker
    Free Member

Are the pistons moving the same amount and at the same time when you pull the brake lever? Could be that one of them is sticking, which is resulting in one pad being closer to the rotor. Try putting a dot of oil around the pistons – after you've taken the pads out.

pinches
    Free Member

my XTs did this, i eventually had to centre the caliper IS to post mount with a washer.

MrNutt
    Free Member

big hill, lots of speed, BRAKE!

psychle
    Free Member

big hill, lots of speed, BRAKE!

Tried this… hasn't fixed it 🙁 Have also tried riding along in a granny gear with the brakes on (to the point of almost locking up the front wheel) for 5-10+ minutes, doesn't help either 🙁

MrNutt
    Free Member

repeat?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Have you done the method of centring as described in the hope video?
    Loosening the bolts, putting the brakes on then tightening the bolts only works if both pistons move identically. Otherwise you need to use the slotted mounts to centralise the caliper then centralise the pistons separately.

If you lube pistons please only use a safe lube – the correct brake fluid will be safe. Ordinary oils may cause seals to swell and stick worse

http://www.hopegb.com/page_mep_force_39.html

psychle
    Free Member

cheers chaps, shall give these remedy's a go… any other thoughts?

crispybacon
    Free Member

I've got some K24's & I've had a similar problem with a squealing front brake rubbing.

Are you sure the rotor is not bent ever so slightly? have you got another 'straight' rotor you can put on to check?

Anyway I solved mine quite by chance when I found out that I was over tightening the QR ……..Grrrr. Not sure if you have a QR on your Enduro but may be worth checking if you have.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Whining brakes… help me (please) before I go MAAAAAD!!’ is closed to new replies.