Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • While we're talking about Europe…
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

…I was told a while back that a lot of the Welsh trail centres were built using EU money, because the high unemployment in Wales means it qualifies for European aid.

It was someone who works with a lot of north Welsh centres, so I do believe what they were saying.

Anyone know anything more about this?

mogrim

Seems likely, the EU funds loads of stuff in poorer areas. Why would you doubt it?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Why would you doubt it?

I don’t. I’m just interested to see if anyone’s got any further info.

Seemed relevant when withdrawal from the EU is a major national talking point.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Regional Development Fund, as was?

The septics would say that it’s just recycled money from our membership contribution – whether that cash would be channeled to develop this kind of thing by the national government is another story.

thepurist

Plausible – MrsP’s working on a public infrastructure project in Snowdonia that’s part funded by the EU.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Regional Development Fund, as was?

Rings a bell, but I couldn’t swear to it.

The septics would say that it’s just recycled money from our membership contribution – whether that cash would be channeled to develop this kind of thing by the national government is another story.

Ha! I know. 🙂

I worked in Nidri, on the Greek island of Lefkas in 2003, where the bypass was being funded by Euro money. It was half finished, and had been for a few years. I felt a small twinge of pride when checking on Google Earth a few years ago to see that it had been finished. I felt my taxes helped it on its way. 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘While we're talking about Europe…’ is closed to new replies.