Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Which xt rear deralleur, cable and shifter???
  • fredminto08
    Free Member

Hi all,
    I own a trance x4 2012 and have to say its a great bike for the money.
    I am however wanting to upgrade the rear deralleur, cable and shifter to xt.
    which deralleur do i need and which would be compatable. Been looking at the m770, 771 and 772 but dont really know the difference between them. Guessing coupled with xtr cables and m772 shifters. Anyone help me please?

somouk
    Free Member

Pick the one that has the correct cage for your gear gap.

If I was buying one now I’d have one of the clutch type as well.

andyl
    Free Member

the M770 and maybe M771 are 9 speed I think.

I am guessing you have 10 speed? If you do then get the clutch one.

So check:

1. number of gears
    2. length of mech cage which is related to the gear range.

For cable you can re-use the old one but probably best to replace. Easiest thing to do is get some SP41 outer and a new stainless inner.

shortcut

To help with the two above gear range or Capacity is marked on the mech and shown in the blurb. You calculate this by the following:
    Difference in number of teeth between biggest and smallest sprocket + difference between biggest and smallest chain rings.

And yeah make sure you get a10 speed mech if you are running a 10 speed system.

fredminto08
    Free Member

Thanks all,
    I run a 3×9 setup at the mo so its a 9 speed i would need.
    I think the m772 is for the 9 speed and has the benifit of the clutch.
    Can someone confirm?
    Thanks

perthmtb
    Free Member

2012 Trance X4 is 9 speed. So if you’re going to keep the rest of the drivetrain and just upgrade the RD and shifters, then you need to stick to 9 speed components.

RD-M770 is 9 speed, conventional profile, and rapid rise action.
    RD-M771 is 9 speed, conventional profile and normal action
    RD-M772 is 9 speed, shadow profile and normal action

Conventional profile RDs stick out a bit more than the shadow, so can be more prone to hits.

Rapid rise action means the spring tension returns the RD to the largest sprocket, rather than the more normal returning it to the smallest.

All come in SGS long cage or GS medium cage versions. For your triple cranks you need teh SGS long cage.

None of the 9 speed mechs have the new shadow+ clutch, that’s only available on ten speed.

If you don’t know the difference or don’t care, then safest bet is to just get the M772 SGS.

I’ve not heard of M772 shifters, and I’m guessing you mean the M770. These will match any of the above RDs, but beware there is an M770-10 (ten speed) so make sure you get the 9 speed version. Stainless steel inner cables will come with the shifters, and your existing outers may be ok, or if not buy a few metres of SP-41 outer to replace it.

If you’re going to the expense of replacing half the drivetrain, and maybe your cassette and chainrings are getting a bit worn too, then why not consider going the whole way and get a 10 speed XT groupset from one of the online stores in Germany for about 330 quid?

fredminto08
    Free Member

Wow thanks for this – it clears up alot of unknowns for me.
    Sounds like m772 derailleur and m770 shifters. both 9 speed then!
    Do shifters always come with cable inners?

perthmtb
    Free Member

Do shifters always come with cable inners?

If you get proper retail stock they will, but OEM (stuff the manufacturers sell in bulk to the bike manufacturers) sometimes finds it way into the online stores and may not…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Which xt rear deralleur, cable and shifter???’ is closed to new replies.