Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Which would get the most cash?
  • poisonspider
    Free Member

I'm thinking of rationalising my fleet and getting rid of my Turner 5 Spot and my Spesh Stumpy FSR and replacing with something else (not sure what yet).

The dilema is; I need the bits off one of them to build onto the new frame but I'm not sure which would be easier to sell as a full bike or frame only.

Turner has Romic c/w Ti coil and longer Push rockers and would be sold with RS Pikes, the Spesh frame is std and would go with Fox Vanilla R QR15 forks. All components are pretty much the same, Easton, Thomson, Mavic/Hope wheels and Juicy 5 brakes or Hope Enduro 4's with 203 floating discs.

Sell the Turner as a bike and Spesh as frame only or other way round?

shortcut

Turner will go better as a frame only.

I would be tempted to say, break both up and keep what you want for the new bike and sell two frames and one set of components.

njee20
    Free Member

Agreed, always more lucrative to sell in bits, unless some of the bits are so trashed you'll never sell them alone!

clubber
    Free Member

If you're looking for maximum return, never sell as a complete bike – you'll always get less (with Njee's caveat)

poisonspider
    Free Member

Unfortunately a couple of the components are showing a bit of wear and tear (eg rear wheel and crank arms), perfectly functionable but aesthetically challenged.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think it's a bit of a myth that you'll always get more if you split.

Probably true if all new-ish, popular kit in good condition – but when it comes to lower spec bikes with anonymous parts you can end up with a load of not particularly desirable bits and bobs that you have to let go for a few quid and a few quid there.

That's my experience of buying low-ish spec bikes with good frames and selling off the bits anyway.

But in this case, I agree with shortcut – split it all down, keep what you want and flog the rest. More fun that way too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Which would get the most cash?’ is closed to new replies.