Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Which winter boots??
  • turneround

i get freezing toes just looking out the window and my Shimano gore tex booties are coming to the end of their life… looking at the Lake Mxz302's or something similar… anyone got any other suggestions for me to google and help waste away another day in work

roger_mellie

I'm thinking of buying some myself, although it'll probably be summer by the time I make my mind up….
    MBR and WMB reviewed a load recently and my conclusions were either:

a) Shimano MW80 – Probably what you have already?
    Or b) Specialized BG Defroster? Though not as warm as the name suggests, apparently.

I'd be interested in other's suggestions. In the meantime, I can recommend Wollie Boolie socks for toasty-ness.

z1ppy

I think you 've hit the nail on the head first time, the Lakes are everyones ultimate winter book.

Other options (which again most ppl would suggest are lesser boots): Diadora Chili, Gaerne Eskimo or Polar, Northwave Celsius, Specialized Defrosters & the Shimano MW80

Though I'd suggest that the Specialized and NV boots are not as warm as they look (had the celsius myself) going from opinions on here. The MW80's will be my next winter boot (currently using some well worn MT90's), as I can't justify a full on winter boot like the Lakes.

organic355
    Free Member

I am also in the same predicament.

Nobody has mentioned the SIDI Diablos, probably due to their £195 price tag. Although i do have the road versions and really like them.

Was also looking at MW80's but you cant get them anywhere until August/September and apparently they have off/narrow sizing so am nervous about ordering online.

I am swaying towards the sidis at the moment and may pull the trigger today.

senorj

+1 shimano mw80

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I have the MW80 and the only thing I'd improve would be a slightly higher cuff so my socks didn't stick out and soak in the water. Feet have always been pretty toasty in them whether dry or not and thats just with thin woolly socks.

SiB
    Free Member

+1 for mw809 as the northwave waterproofs were far too narrow.

tifferz
    Free Member

+1 shimano's

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Totally underwhelmed by Diadora and Shimano offerings, have found Sidi overpriced and easily destroyed. Haven't tried NW but not impressed with what I've seen.

Got a pair of Lake summer shoes with the Vibram soles and they are built like tanks so their winter boot definately look like the way forward for serious sub zero abuse.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Pearl Izumi Barrier GTX here. Bit bling and expensive but OMG, they're like MTB slippers in terms of comfort and warmth! Go up a size though. Very waterproof too but like all winter boots, hinges on your ability to keep the water out of the tops. But I generally hose them off after a ride with them still on and they are water tight for sure.

I'm actually not looking forward to the warmer weather because it'll mean not being able to wear them!

Did I mention the warmth? My circulation and cold feet issues are quite bad and these have been the answer!

Clembo
    Free Member

my specialized are in their second winter and I'm very happy with them.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Current wisdom down here says Shimanos good, Gaerne Polar better.

My Shimanos work a lot better with the neoprene gaiters I made a couple of months ago. I now have dry feet even on rides when my mates' feet are "swimming".

Clink

I have the MW80. Very comfortable , but i still get cold feet. Cuff could with being higher as above.

organic355
    Free Member

Cant get the shimanos anywear until August so I am going to go for the sidis I think.

Are the spesh's gore tex like the shimano & sidi?

Mostly balanced, how did you make those gators, old wetsuit?

Also anyone with the MW80 fit into their normal size?

turneround

thanks folks… shimanos are fine but the neoprene cuff always lets in water and i dont find them that warm even with 2 pairs of icebreaker socks on….

lakes it may be….

HeatherBash
    Free Member

The Pearl Izumis do look the business but I'd be worried about anything with an exposed zip down there. Reckon the zips wil fail sooner or later as the did with my Chillis.

The Lake product wouldnt win any beauty parades but that Boa / flap arrangement they have will stand the test of time imo…

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Organic 355, I got the neoprene ages ago from a local wetsuit manufacturer and stitched it myself at home. Try any good watersports retailer and they should be able to at least give you a lead to a souirce of neoprene.

GaryLake
    Free Member

The Pearl Izumi zip feels pretty tough and they have a lifetime warranty.

I think the cuffs are going to be an issue like with most winter boots though – I've not been out in an epic downpour yet – just geenral trail spray.

Neoprene gaiters look the business! I think I might even have some old wetsuit boots I can cut the feet off of and use!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I've heard bad things about other designs (specifically some Gaerne boots) that have a zip there too, flaps def the way to go 🙂

sporteus

I have been really impressed with my Shimano MT90s so my guess is that the MT91 will be as good if not better (See Chipps' review in the latest issue). Make sure that you size them big enough to wear thick wool mountaineering style socks such as Smartwool.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Neoprene gaiters look the business! I think I might even have some old wetsuit boots I can cut the feet off of and use!<

Good call – I've got some old booties I'm going to try likewise with.

The cuff is the issue – anyone with a bit of muscle definition in the calf is going to find water going past a neoprene cuff. Wonder if there is a market for a boot with a removable / integrated gaiter – one that attaches around the rand of the boot. I've found all overshoes hopeless when it comes to walking, particularly in snow

STL

Totally loving my Pearl Izumi Barrier GTX. Had a minor problem with the stiching on one but Jenson took care of me, shipping out a new pair as soon as mine were on their way to them, so didn't miss a ride.

Super toasty on a road ride at 10-15F, was the only one in the group with warm feet.

Pricematched at $181, so not crazy. Got sick of tearing through booties.

STL

organic355
    Free Member

I just ordered the sidis, will update you on how they are, but as they are almost identical to the road versions I think they will be good.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Am I the only one who's a tightwad and uses neoprene (Endura road!!) overshoes?
    They work fine for me, except in the most dire of weather, and when trudging through deep sloppy mud.. Water doesn't get in the top coz I stretch the tights over them.
    And they cost about £20.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Which winter boots??’ is closed to new replies.