Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • which will result in least pain …….(warning -cynic-al design mind in action)
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

currently got pace rc29s on the front of my ragley TD-1

they are 440mm as per frame design …..but due to a tree interface at puffer the forks are on borrowed time !

im going to the alps in july for a backcountry week and i have a choice of this or my merida flx3000 with sids upfront – can only get a 2.1 tire in there at each end

was thinking of ragley with 80mm reba 29ers i have lying about (at 490 ac)- will climb like a dog but decend like a demon….added bonus of a 2.5 tire fitting up the back!

or do i have to go out and buy new rigid forks to go out there with till these fabled ragley/xlite ones come out ….

what ever the outcome ill probably offer the rebas up and make an informed decision based on experiance rather than numbers – unless of course brant says the headtube will come off , ill die and the world will end in nuclear war 😀

epicyclo

Tyre fit for TD-1

Have you had a 2.5 in there?

trail_rat
    Free Member

goan slide the sliders right back …..

dave of the twinklyvariety has had a 2.5 schwalbe in his

i had a 2.5 in on a 26 inch tire before xmas ….

ive just thought of another possible but highly comical and stupid combo i could have.

sand man rigid fork with a 3.8 larry 😀

mocha
    Free Member

what?

like this ? lots of fun in the snow :o)

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have that photo too from the snow pre sandman rear hub arriving . Cant see it being great in the alps how ever due to 100 mm rims

cynic-al
    Free Member

“Design”? I see no design here. Back to school.

Oh and a week’s riding a longer fork is IMO very unlikely to break the frame, unless you’re already doing riding it wasn’t designed for, which I doubt very much given you are asking the question.

epicyclo

trail_rat – Member
    …ive just thought of another possible but highly comical and stupid combo i could have.
    sand man rigid fork with a 3.8 larry

I’ve been thinking the same. I was supposed to be taking this (completed) to Newcastleton this w/end, instead I stuffed myself riding the fixie round the “Puffer.

tazzymtb

pop an extra shim in the reba to reduce the travel to 60-70mm and the axle to crown will be very similar to the pace when sagged but give you a bit of emergency boing

trail_rat
    Free Member

Good plan tazzy !

You ridden that brian ? I prefer to ride my full fat – the ragley is just too light – rides like a penny farthing once at speed – good in snow though !

Clink

The TD-1 is a great ride with the rigid fork; not convinced it will work with sus – but I look forward to hearing how you get on!

trail_rat
    Free Member

I agree its el- rapido with rigid but steep alpine decents and heads down arse up = nae guid coupled with a rigid fork that is on he verge o snapping

Merida is nae better and i canny get gears on my gf rig !

The missus will be on a 100mm bike so some short rebas outfront would give us similar bikes

Clink

I had a TD-1 for a while – it worked brilliantly with the shorter (26″) fork – back was too long for me though; I’d love to try a TD-1 with the chainstays of my current Yelli Screamy.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Gives it a planted feel though and lets it climb like a demon without wheeelyin under power 🙂

Depends what you want it to do i guess – doesnt manual over furrows well – doesnt need to though just pump em tis faster 🙂

epicyclo

trail_rat – Member
    …You ridden that brian ?

Not yet. Got to get my legs working properly again. 🙂

Should be “interesting” – my fork is 415mm AC so the head will be steeper.

It will be a similar angle to my Scandal when I was running it with my home-made fork and a fat wheel. I liked the steering on that.

If it doesn’t work, I have other forks to put in it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘which will result in least pain …….(warning -cynic-al design mind in action)’ is closed to new replies.