Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Which wheels? ( decide between the 2 )
  • tony24
    Free Member

Got a set of fork's coming which are 20mm maxle my current wheel is a 15mm so i need a new set. since the current wheels are mavic xm 317 they are not that strong tbh and there on a full sus which is going to get a battering in the coming month's.

I want a wheel set but on the cheap as its not used as much as my hardtail

2 sets i have found are the superstar/spank wheels for £150 atm or the set of El Gallo on treadz which have 40% off and are £140 anyone got a recommendation out of the 2 above?

Earl
    Free Member

I would be intreasted in any replies about the El Gallo on treadz – look cheap as long as they dont fall apart.

DT78
    Free Member

I'd be interested to know if anyone has used the superstar/spank wheels. I imagine they must be fine as nothing mentioned on the forums I've seen.

For £150 I was thinking of getting a specific DH set (spike rims)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why do you think your riding will change enough to require tougher wheels?

mtb_rob
    Free Member

Jeez, your namesake suits you thats for sure ''cynic-al'' you cynical MF. The El Gallo's look good for the money, would be good to hear anyone with first person experience though

cynic-al
    Free Member

Perfectly reasonable question IMO, why take offence?

mtb_rob
    Free Member

no offence taken. Let the man step up though. He's looking for a tougher wheelset, something that will, most probably pshchologically(sp?), give him the confidence when paired with the new forks to step up and hit things he previously shied away from. Surely that is something that we should be encouraging, where does the cynacism help?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Each to their own. Overweight kit hasn't helped me.

robhughes
    Free Member

(Overweight kit hasn't helped me.)
    had to laugh at that.
    best remark iv,e heard for ages….so.true.
    do fox 36,s make you a better rider.lololol

spev

the El Gallo we had in the shop had a similar freehub to the Halo Spindoctor's, they had a cartridge bearing on the disc side with a fixed bearing on the freehub side, you couldn't change this one so had to change the freehub. Not a major problem as its easy enough but you'll prob need a 11mm allen key. Other than that they seemed ok. Of the two wheelsets I'd go for the Superstar/Spank combo as I find the El-Gallo graphics offensive 🙂

Or I'd look for a set of used Hope Pro2 or Bulbs

mtb_rob
    Free Member

The confidence in something that is more solidly built than current running gear will create a far bigger advantage psychologically than the, to us regular human beans at least, detriment of the un-noticeable weight difference.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Which wheels? ( decide between the 2 )’ is closed to new replies.