Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which Wheel set…Help
  • Mike_T

Needs some opinions guys.

I'm currently running Hope 2's with 321's and I'm looking to upgrade but as with sooooo much choice not sure what to go for.

Original plan was Mavic SX's, but the reviews aren't that favourable ref after sales supports etc.

So the next choice was Chris Kings, and after fondling some in LBS it's the way to go but it's what rim.

819's, Flows etc

I was looking to go tubeless, but not sure that the 819's is way to go for my weight and riding.

I'm 14.5stone, Nomad, Vans 36, if i had to describe my riding style clumsy light freeride…av it

What do you think guys……..

grumm
    Free Member

819s are pretty tough. I weigh 16 stone and mine still seem to be true after a week in the Alps/doing the Mega. I like to get two wheels off the ground as much as possible, but don't do anything big.

FuzzyWuzzy

Just get Roval Traversee's, light, strong, not too expensive, fairly wide (support larger volume tyres better), easy to run tubeless.

grumm
    Free Member

There was a couple of people on here saying their Roval Traversee rims were made of cheese.

firestarter
    Free Member

i run your current set up on one bike and its great if i were looking to upgrade id stick with pro two hubs and get flow rims. My other wheelset is dt ex1750 which is very nice but i wouldnt buy again with the price of hope hoops. When i need new rims on either wheelset i will be keeping the hubs and putting flows or 321 on. I like that the hubs can be used with adaptors on lots of different options so are an investment so to speak . 321 also ghetto tubeless easy . Oh and stay clear of easton havocs 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

@grumm – I thought it was one guy who it turned out rode down some steps and ended up whacking the rear hard on the edge? They're very tough IME, held up well to my lack of finesse through rock gardens and off drop-offs.

hitman
    Free Member

Am waiting for a new Nomad with van 36 and am near enough your weight
    Looking for a pair of 321s on hope pro II s so if you selling let me know
    My other set ultimately would be hope pro IIs on Stans flows and run tubeless 🙂

Dango
    Free Member

Been through a few rocky trails on my rovals, no problems

Check the rear:

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with my Crossmax SXs thus far. Two chaps I ride with have them too, no complaints from them either.

Dango
    Free Member

I did manage to dent the frame during that w/e on an airborne rock on another trail, but wheels held up fine

tangobravo
    Free Member

I would say a lack of tire pressue and pie boy riding style leads to that.

Mike_T

Now I'm back to the Mavic's.

Just been on the Stans site and Hope 2'+ Flow's is 1786g.
    Mavic's 1755g, and a rough calc of CK's with Flow's is 1869g.

All a bit geeky, but no weight savings gona make me ride faster up or down.

Anyone else got the new Mavic SX's, what style of riding are you doing, would you recomned them etc.

The CK's do look the bollocks though….

PJ266
    Free Member

I would say a lack of tire pressue and pie boy riding style leads to that.

I would say thats what happens when you dont ride like a fanny 😉

Ive got 819's, love em. Im pretty skinny but like to blat through rocky trails (the number of dents in the rear wheel show that) and have ridden dirt jumps, 4x tracks, downhill tracks all without worry 😀 I highly recommend them.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

I use my SXs for general thrashing about on, DH singletrack, local jump spot, trail centres (including the Kona Mash-Up) – that kind of thing. Light enough to feel really flickable/pedalable on trails, strong enough to take all the jumps/rockgardens/roots I'm brave enough to try.

Mike_T

So to all the SX owners.

Have you guys had any issues with after sales, getting spokes replaced, hub issues, bearings etc

The only thing holding me back really is the after sales. There are some mixed reviews on the web, '3 weeks for parts', 'unable to get hold of spokes'.

Cheers guys

Mike_T

anyone

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which Wheel set…Help’ is closed to new replies.