Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • First Post. Which way to tackle Swaledale – Blue Route.
  • jimsayshi
    Free Member

Hi Guys.

Am new to Singletrack, it looks pretty active. Here's my first post: Hope you can help.

I'm planning on doing the Swaledale – Blue Route one weekend in the near future. I'm a 2 hour drive away so don't need accomodation, will do it in the one day. Although I read the Grinton Lodge Youth Hostel is worth a look. If I plan on staying longer will look them up.

I've read Singletracks write up on Swaledale but can't find any info on which way to ride it. Clockwise or anticlockwise, advice on the best direction to tackle the route, peaks and wind friendly, etc. The only mention is to ride it with a SW wind. After having a look, am I right is presuming you head north from Grinton tackling Fremington Edge first before heading West to Arkengartdale, taking the Blue Route anticlockwise.

Any knowledge, tip's, photos and links would be a help.

Many Thanks, Jim.

uplink
    Free Member

After having a look, am I right is presuming you head north from Grinton tackling Fremington Edge first before heading West to Arkengartdale, taking the Blue Route anticlockwise.

I don't know details of the route but generally you want to be climbing up to Fremington edge from Fremington rather than descending it

jimsayshi
    Free Member

Anyone else able to add anything? Cheers.

benjag
    Free Member

make sure you go for tea and cake at the Dales centre!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I've never heard of the blue route, and searching for it hits this thread! Deffo up Fremington and down to Langthwaite 🙂

mt
    Free Member

Get hold of Stu or Antony at Dales Bike Centre, they are very helpful.
    Personally I'd do a route that went up and down Fremmington Edge.

jimsayshi
    Free Member

Simon. It's a trail posted by Singletrack. Can't see any quote options on the posts!

http://www.singletrackworld.com/trailguide/uk/yorkshire-and-humber/swaledale/

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Well, if you start from Grinton and go anticlockwise, by the time you get to Gunnerside you may not care for a load more climbing and take the trail that runs beside the river back instead 🙂

Chew
    Free Member

Yes, start near the Dales Centre and do the route anti clockwise climbing up Fremington edge first (if you can clear the full climb, i'll even buy you some cake).

Be prepared for a long day as well, as it will be 5 hours of riding, plus stops gates etc..

Its exposed up there as well so its not a good route in strong winds.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

jimsayshi
    Free Member

Cheers. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll take a slice of Banoffee cake Chew. 😉

uplink
    Free Member

When you get to this point, I'd turn left to pick up the route again further along the gill

Footpaths & bridleways become a bit blurred around there but no one bothers much

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

When you get to this point, I'd turn left to pick up the route again further along the gill

definitely!
    This is the view:
    click pic for bigger

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘First Post. Which way to tackle Swaledale – Blue Route.’ is closed to new replies.