• This topic has 79 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by jkomo.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Which waterproof shorts are we buying this winter?
  • muzz
    Free Member

I can feel the blisters on my legs just thinking about riding those army ones for 6 hours in a wet day.

If you are happy to ride around in sawn-off army gear with one leg longer than the other you are one step away from riding around with a binbag sarong as a windbreaker. Life’s to short! 😀

daver27
    Free Member

kcal..

Whats the fit like on those Madison DTE shorts? considering a pair later this week.
    are they slim fit, or big and flappy? I’ve found madison kit can be a bit of the latter on my lanky frame..

mrhoppy

RAF goretex, cut to 3/4 length and added elasticated braces so I don’t need to cinch the waste so much.

muzz – Member
    I can feel the blisters on my legs just thinking about riding those army ones for 6 hours in a wet day.

Used mine over bibs bikepacking on multiple big days out no issues, toughen up princess 😈

faustus

Those RAF ones look like they’re worth a go for the money. Do want to avoid camo colours and a ballooning elastic waistband look though. Very much.

Everyone seems happy to splurge pictures of their stooge on the internet, but much shyer when it comes to cut-off amry surplus gore-tex 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

You can see mine here if you really want…

Review: RAF surplus Gore Tex trousers/shorts

faustus

That’s really helpful, thanks!

philmccrackin
    Free Member

shant be buying any because my raceface agents are the shiz and still going strong!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

my raceface agents, have stood up to 1 full peak district winter so far (from October > march last year), ride a fair bit, plenty of grit that’s killed god knows how many waterproof shorts in the past…. still totally waterproof, still no signs of delaminating on the bum, (its a little worn colour) but its still waterproof and still keeps me dry, they are perhaps a little baggier than I would normally wear, but they are cracking winter shorts the best ive had so far by a long long stretch in terms of durability

have been used for the last 1 month or so and still doing a great job, washed after every ride, and most the time just in normal detergent…

I’m sure I read theyd stopped making them now, which is a crying shame, as they really are that good

Northwind

Gave the Tenn ones a few rides, don’t know how they’ll stand up longterm but they’re decent- not as waterproof (or maybe not as breathable) as my alturas but they’re also half the price.

JackHammer – Member

My arse manages to wear through all the waterproof shorts I’ve ever used

Have you tried the altura attacks? I’ve found them seriously durable- I killed a set in a crash this year but they were 2 winters old I think, the others are going strong. I just machine wash them too but they stay waterproof without fuss.

The belt adjusters are rubbish though.

Tracey

[url=https://flic.kr/p/21H2try]20140803_161030[/url] by Tracey Lawton, on Flickr

philmccrackin
    Free Member

washed after every ride!? i never wash mine, they have been washed once when the mrs took offence to a discarded pile of wet muddy clobber on the garage floor but generally i just hose em down… (rf agents)

deano8
    Free Member

Those RAF ones look great, but does anyone know what size they are?
    I’m a 34 inch waist, would I need medium or large?

chakaping
    Free Member

medium

deano8
    Free Member

Thank you, just found your blog 🙂

lawman91

Used my 7mesh recons for a year and they look brand new still, not full waterproof but unless you’re out in a downpour all day you’ll struggle to wet them out. Just bought some 7mesh Revo’s which are fully waterproof, looking forward to trying those out. Can see why people go for the homemade army ones, but honestly the fit and quality of the 7mesh is more than worth the extra.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I had police issue black goretex from ebay, intention was to cut them down. Decided to wear them full length first though. What a revelation no water running down into my nice goretex boots.
    The trousers stayed full length, Iv had at least 2 winters out of them. The seams across the back side are getting worn now.
    Only hosed down after a ride and hung in the garage. Been great.

RustyNissanPrairie

Following this thread i bought some ‘Desert storm’ camo £20 ebay ex military trousers to replace some absolutrly knackered Endura commuting pants.
    For the money they are great – cooler than the Endura’s (more breathable?) and a lot more waterproof.
    Slight downside is that they are baggier and the sizings took some figuring out

dirkpitt74

Picked up a pair of Tenn Protean waterproof shorts in the sales – will see what they’re like for £20.
    Would like the Endura 3/4 length but £80 for shorts is a bit much.
    Like the idea of the military goretex trousers – might give that a go as well.

submarined
    Free Member

Wiggle put 2015 RF Agents on sale for £40 last week. I’ve got a pair of those on the way, so will see how they go.

antares
    Free Member

Gone with some Raceface Agents from Wiggle. Are the older ones any different?

mark90
    Free Member

Had anyone got any experience of the Royal Racing waterproof shorts?

On my second warranty replacement of the Madison Addict/Storm shorts due to taped seems peeling.

oikeith

Yesterday I went into my local LBS and came out with another pair Pearl Izumi Summit shorts and a pair of Madison 4 season DWR trousers.

I have the Summit shorts already and these were on clearance as last years, great shorts I like the slim fit on the legs, not too long in the leg either and they are stretchy for moving around on the bike, just need to remember not to chuck em in the washing machine like my other pairs and wash the DWR out…

I’m hoping the 4 season trousers will be more breathable then the Madison Addict trousers I currently own, I find them really boil in the bag, but as others say excellent for warm and dry feet as stops water running down the leg into the socks.

chakaping
    Free Member

On my second warranty replacement of the Madison Addict/Storm shorts due to taped seems peeling.

Do you have raised stitching on your saddle? I used to go through waterproof shorts at a rate of knots until I sussed the stitching on my Bel Air was pulling them apart.

mark90
    Free Member

Charge spoon saddle so some stitching, although most of it has worn away now anyway.

With the Addicts the tape on a number of the seams started coming away, not just in the saddle high wear area but all over. These were warrantied with the Storms and those have gone back this week as the tape on the crotch seam was coming away.

The taping looked much better on the Storms than the Addicts so I had high hopes of them lasting but it appears the movement in the crotch area is too much of the tape to take.

The outsides of the shorts still looked good as new, no wear. Both pairs had only done around half a dozen rides and a couple of washes (30C with tech wash)

Was offered the DTE as replacements but prefer a fully waterproof short so trying another pair of Storms (and hoping I’ve just been unlucky).

Also taken advantage of 50% at Royal to see if they are any better.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just thought I’d mention it. I had a pair of Madison shorts that the taped seams just fell off in the first (cold) wash.

mark90
    Free Member

On the plus side Madison are good with warranty 🙂

mindmap3
    Free Member

Don’t normally bother but I bought a pair of Royal Storm shorts in their sale – online reviews seemed positive.

beer247
    Free Member

7mesh Revo for me

They do loose the DWR proofing where mud gets ground in (seat area) but i just chuck them in the wash, hang to dry then re-treat with Grangers Xtreme Repel and tumble dry for 40mins to reactivate the DWR.

Still beading water after 12 months use, still in great condition!

Look good too!

honourablegeorge

Wiggle have more of the RaceFace Agents – seem to be newer ones, they’re a separate listing to the 2015 ones. Just nabbed a set in black.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/race-face-agent-winter-shorts/

fathomer

Shame they don’t have a medium in black.

kcal

mark90 – there is a fully waterproof DTE – have them and they seem to work well.

kcal

oh and dave27 – I found the latter DTEs a more loose fit at Medium – have had older Addict and Zenith and Small was fine. They are quite ‘flappy’ if you like – maybe depends on size, and leg shape?

mark90
    Free Member

kcal that’s good to know. I might end up with them if the next pair of Storms aren’t any better. Think the shop were just offering me the DTE’s the had on the shelf, and they were a DWR softshell material.

devs
    Free Member

My experience of 8 long winters training for the puffer in the north of Scotland is that all the branded ones fail pretty quickly. You are as well getting the tenns as the ones costing much more. I used to pick them up for £15 each. Stormsure sealant works well on leaking seams but looks gash no matter how artistic you are during application. Branded shorts are great for most rides but when it’s proper horrible the army goretex cut offs are absolutely unbeatable. I did LOL at the comments about them looking wrong with their elasticated waists and uneven legs. As if someone would notice that when you are covered in crap from head to toe. The only downside of them, apart from the camo under all the mud (further LOLs), is the lack of pockets so you have to wear the right jacket with them or have drybags and/or a rucksack cover.

devs
    Free Member

Here’s me modelling mine. This was about 6 years ago and they are still going strong.

[/url]164095_10150164308078378_43647_n by devilnomad, on Flickr[/img]

chakaping
    Free Member

The only downside of them, apart from the camo under all the mud (further LOLs), is the lack of pockets so you have to wear the right jacket with them or have drybags and/or a rucksack cover.

When it’s cold I sometimes wear a pair of thin summer shorts underneath mine, the through pockets line up pretty well.

dirkpitt74

The Tenn shorts turned up yesterday.
    Glad I ‘sized up’ and went for the large – I think their sizing is off, feel more like a medium.
    Should still be able to get some padded liners underneath.
    Will see how they hold up in the wet/mud.

goby

I got some of the army supplies gortex ones excellent choice work really well! Top tip cheers

trail_rat
    Free Member

Be aware of your of “racing build” the army surplus stuff is a bit shit.

As in won’t stay up unless you tie the waste cord so it cuts you in half while riding……or put up with the crotch catching on the saddle.

YMMV if you have a stomach to hold them up but I don’t have birthing hips to hold them up.

So I buy what ever I can get from the usual suspects for 20 is quid. Been using alturas – not worn them through but after a number of puffers and many other rides over 7 or so years mines are porous on the arse so I have replaced with the Polaris ones from the PSA and they are nice so far. Nice close fit without looking like something MC hammer would wear

jkomo

Cut off blue RAF ones here, but the fit is so big, I need to get braces sorted.
    I wish I’d kept the bottoms to do something creative with.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Which waterproof shorts are we buying this winter?’ is closed to new replies.