• This topic has 27 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jim.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • which waterproof shorts?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Gore? Altura? Endura?

whats your user opinions of these?

any others to consider?

3/4 or short?

ta

cp

Altura attack extreme 3/4's

very good shorts, and 3/4 length covers your knees and keeps all you thigh dry and wind-free. Really very good!!

GaryLake
    Free Member

And last week they were pretty cheap on Merlin!

I love mine, did a trail leader course at the weekend and I was the only one who didn't have any items in the drying room. Altura Attack Jacket and 3/4 Shorts. 🙂

juan
    Free Member

get some goretex camo trousers on ebay for 8£ delivered. So you can try both 3/4 and shorts 😉

BadlyWiredDog

I wore through the seat of a pair of Endura eVent 3/4s – forgotten what they're called – in less than a year of Peak use, and quite occasional Peak use at that. Was talking to someone yesterday who'd done the same to a pair of Gore waterproof shorts. Less than impressed, though while they worked, they were pretty good. 😉

wombat

juan – Member
    get some goretex camo trousers on ebay for 8£ delivered. So you can try both 3/4 and shorts

Juan,

Please can you post a link to these £8 trousers, I can't find them.

Cheers

robgarrioch

Here's a link to the previous post detailing e-bay goodness; couldn't find any quite at £8 del'd, but snaffled a pair @ £15, quality's fine, just a bit of nip/tuck required to the length.

z1ppy

Altura attack extreme 3/4's – 2nd the recommendation.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Altura attack extreme 3/4's – 3rd the recommendation.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

just bought some sombrio wildcard waterproof shorts. Below the knee cut and wide enough to fit knee pads under. Got them £39 from Plymouth cycles, think they're about £70 normally.
    I tried some altura attack 3/4 but felt too narrow for knee pads.

tinsy
    Free Member

I bought a mudgaurd, looks poo for the STW leaning on a tree shot, but keeps all the water/mud/dog doo off my ar5e… 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

tinsy, a mudguard alone isn't enough IMO – if it's horrid I use waterproof shorts and a mud guard…

cheers_drive

The Attacks 3/4s are great with 3/4 or full length tights with normal length lycra inner the hem rubs on my knees giving me sores (especially when combined with grit). They make a bit of noise too if that bothers you.

I tried some altura attack 3/4 but felt too narrow for knee pads.

Kyle straits just fitted under my large shorts.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have Endura eVent 3/4s – and they were perfect – until the outer layer started to peel away on the bum after a while.

New pair under warranty from Swinnertons, who have always been great at replacing Endura things without question when they've fallen apart.

Not worn them again yet though, because it's been so dry!

rootes1

going to get some of these gore army trousers to turn into 3/4 shorts..

how generous is the sizing? I ride in medium humvee's for example..

was thinking of going for the 30 or 32" waist gore's

Gary_M
    Free Member

Very pleased with the gore ones I've been using for the past year. They've worn well and I wear them on most rides because they are so comfortable and are a nice slim fit.

rootes1

yep but is the sizing generous?

Gary_M
    Free Member

If you have fat, wobbly legs then they're gonna be a tight fit. But they do have a drawstring waist.

rootes1

nah i'm a racing snake – i even make lycra shorts look like baggies!

vdubber67
    Free Member

Altura attacks here…great shorts.

takisawa2

Oh yes.
    Desert Storm camo goretex trousers just arrived on my desk.
    £10.48 delivered.
    Now, tempting as it it to parade around the office in them I'll wait till the privacy of home.

Any of you having bought & cut-off these trousers…do you get a hem sewn around the cuts ?

rootes1

though i just bought some army gore trouser to convert (though as i'm 6'6" tall recon the 31" leg might be 3/4 already lol

came across these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Vaude_Spray_II_3~4_Pants_Waterproof_Trousers/5360041245/#more

Vaude make good stuff and these look neat

Tracey

We have been using the army gortex ones for 3 years now, Kevin is on his second pair due to ripping them. Hem them after cutting off, use the cutoffs for beanies

Tracey

goriri
    Free Member

For those in London looking for the army surplus gore-tex trousers, there's a nice bloke called Howard who runs 'Camping and Outdoors' on The Cut – same side as the Evans shop, opposite the Young Vic theatre. I bought some last night for £20…alright not as cheap as ebay, but he's very patient and let's you try different sizes so you get what you need rather than the pot luck of the web. He's also got some heavier weight dutch ones which he sells a lot to the couriers for £30 ish.

juan
    Free Member

do you get a hem sewn around the cuts ?

Don't touch anything, eventually if you are paranoid you can use a lighter.

jim
    Free Member

I have Endura eVent 3/4s – and they were perfect – until the outer layer started to peel away on the bum after a while.

Same problem here, currently waiting for a warranty placement.

I see Endura aren't using eVent for the new ones now so they might be better.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘which waterproof shorts?’ is closed to new replies.