Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Which waterproof rucksack for Motorbike commuting?
  • iolo
    Free Member

I’m looking for a rucksack that I can use to carry a laptop, my sarnies and work clothes when I commute on my motorbike.
    It needs to be waterproof and last more than a few months. The ability to attach a spare lid to pick up whoever from the train station would also be an advantage.
    Any recommendations?

swedishmatt
    Free Member

I’ve got an overboard rucksack for cycle commuting. Fits the bill apart from the spare lid probably.

jonm81

Lomo are good and cheap. I have the 30L backpack but would get the 40L if buying again. It has lasted a couple of years now and is showing no signs of falling apart yet.

http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/Dry-Boxes-dry-bags-uk.html#a778

mattsccm
    Free Member

I would say Lomo although I ended up with an Alpkit Gourdon 30 as it seemed a bit lighter for other things.
    I wanted deep mesh pockets to hold waterproof shells ( I wear leathers). The Lomo’s exterior pocket looks useful as well. sadly they are all dead simple inside. No pocket for wallet, asprins, stuff like that so they would float around at the bottom or in another bag.

fasthaggis

I have always just picked a bag I like and used a dry bag inside.
    Climbing bags are good as they have less stuff flapping around.
    Indulged in a Kriega R35 for a bit,but still had to use a dry bag as it would leak in heavy rain.The one buckle quadloc thing was alright ,but I thought it was overated as a bike specific bag.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Kriega are the best out there for bike specific however look at Ortlieb – they do two versions.

allthegear
    Free Member

Is a tank bag simply not just a thousand times better on the motorbike?

Rachel

mrsfry
    Free Member

I have a bag you can have if you want it. It comes with a rain cover (not sure if it is the thing you are looking for)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/osprey-momentum-22-rucksack/

It’s to big for me. Has a laptop bit and other bits. Only used once.

Free

breninbeener

Mrsfry, i would dearly love that Osprey. I will make a donation to the charity of your choice if its available.

breninbeenerATgmailDOTcom

downshep

Got the hi viz dry bag lomo backpack. Ideal for your intended use.

mrsfry
    Free Member

breninbeener – Member

Mrsfry, i would dearly love that Osprey. I will make a donation to the charity of your choice if its available.

breninbeenerATgmailDOTcom

Check your email thingy bob thing 🙂

I don’t want anything for it. It’s just taking up space

br
    Free Member

Is a tank bag simply not just a thousand times better on the motorbike?

Yes, but you’ve to (re)move it everytime you fill up and you can’t leave it attached when parked in public.

The answer is actually a top box.

I commuted for years in/around London and it was the best way of carrying stuff – waterproof, safe, locked (to the bike), no wider (unlike panniers) and more importantly not attached to me.

Rucksacks are IMO a pain, especially when trying to get on with leathers etc – and why go through the effort to carry something when the bike can do it for you.

First bike I did it to was a zx9r as I got a new job in central London. Not mine, but same model/colour

http://motorcycle4sale.com/images/motorcycle_for_sale/5387/kawasaki–zx9r-ninja-1999-motorcycle-5387-2.jpg

momo

Kriega US20 dry pack Straps to the bike, either pillion seat or tank with an adaptor, has a shoulder strap for carrying off the bike.

benp1

Top boxes are bloody ugly though. I’ve had them on two bikes

On my Street TripleR I b bought another seat and mounted it through that into the subframe. I could take off the top box and all related bits in a couple of minutes

Kriega would be the best option, but it’s expensive…

iolo
    Free Member

Kriega is amazing. I’ve used the US30 for a week now and love it. Totally waterproof.

Northwind

My kriega rucksack wasn’t waterproof. Water resistant, sure- but not the sort of water resistant that stays dry for an hour, teh sort that gets a little bit wet straight away. I don’t think it was supposed to be waterproof tbh?

But excellent kit

nickc

Look also at the Acre or Mission workshop stuff, I use one of the MTB packs and it’s about the only pack (short of proper dry bags) that’s proved itself to be totally waterproof

momo

Northwind, not all the rucksacks are waterproof – I can’t remember which ones are and aren’t though

iolo
    Free Member

The US30 had 2 hours of bloody wet rain the other day and not a single drop went in so it seems to be waterproof.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have used all sorts. Rucksacks are a hassle, seat or tank bags are even more of a hassle because they can’t be left and are awkward to carry along with a helmet and gloves. The ultimate, unstylish answer is a top box. Relatively secure or can be taken off and carried like a suitcase, stick helmet and gloves in so you don’t have to carry them or will hold a surprising amount of shopping. Massively most excellently the best idea ever….but look shit 🙁

superfli
    Free Member

My kriega continues to amaze me at how tough and well made it is. I bought the R25 at least 9 years ago for £70 or so and thought it was bloody expensive! I’ve used it everyday since. Only recently did I rip the side pocket zip from material, although it still works fine. The actual bag still looks almost as good as when I bought it. Tough as old boots.

Its not waterproof though. I have a top box for that. (Wouldn’t be great on a sports bike!)

hammyuk
    Free Member

Just buy the Kriega dry bag that fits in all of them right up to the R35.
    Still cheaper than a top box and none of the handling issues associated with a lump of metal and plastic hanging off the back.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Which waterproof rucksack for Motorbike commuting?’ is closed to new replies.