Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which walking shoes? – Merrell type…….
  • alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Currently on my second pair of Merrell Chameleon Wrap Slam shoes.

Fancy a change, so decided im going to try something different.

I won’t actually be hill walking in them, but regularly walk along our local beach front cycle / foot path with my daughter in the pram & try & keep up with my son on his balance bike.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Cheers,

Alan.

Philby

Got some Salomon shoes (can’t remember the model name) in last year’s Blacks sale to replace my Merrell’s. Much better grip than the rounded grip pattern on the Merrell soles.

Ambrose

I tried the Salomons for a couple of years but was very disappointed with the too soft sole and the delaminating uppers so returned to Merrel. Now using Refuge Pros, like this:
    http://www.jamesandjames.com/htmlfiles/shoefiles/merrell-shoes/merrefugevgtcr.htm

Ebay found them much cheaper for me.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Anything other than Merrel!

Had a pair of GTX Chameleons that leaked water although they where meant to be waterproof, vibram soles that were lethal when wet, without doubt the worst pair of shoes I’ve ever owned. I did contact Merrel but they couldn’t be bothered to reply, never again.

kcal

Merrells – love the fit (usually) but I can wreck them in under a year, sloes just give up, wear through on the air cushion, they leak.. Now on Trezeta (I think that’s them) and they’re great..

ton

without a shadow of doubt, these are the nicest and comfiest shoes I have ever owned.
    sometimes a well known brand is not the way to go.

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/footwear/walking-shoes/mens/stone-waterproof-shoe-p9122.aspx?ism=1&cl=BROWN

satchm00
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple pairs of Merrells for years, Chameleons in fact. Done almost everything in them other than up a mountain.

http://www.merrell.com/UK/en-GB/Product.mvc.aspx/31534M/76786/Mens/Chameleon-5-Vent?dimensions=0

I see someone had a bad experience but they never faulted for me, replaced the in soles once and they last another couple of years before I got another pair.

Just had a quick look and they do these also,

http://www.merrell.com/UK/en-GB/Product.mvc.aspx/34046M/85744/Mens/All-Out-Blaze?dimensions=0

Slightly different style.

Probably worth looking around see if you can get them cheaper.

asterix
    Free Member

had Merrells since the Keilder Polaris in 92 ~I think – they have been great. Have the Chameleon Vent 5s now

backinireland
    Free Member

I once went to an outdoor shop and asked for Merrill. The guy said out of interest why? Said I had them before. He asked if I had tried Salomon and I said I had but found them uncomfortable. He told me that seemed to be the case and those that swore by Salomon found merrell uncomfortable.

Been wearing keen shoes lately, very comfortable. Had keen sandals last year too.

deft
    Free Member

Scarpa Rapids – more like a trail running shoe but with a proper toe box. Dead comfy and a bit of Italian pedigree.

The new 5.10 Guide should also be out soon, looks to be a bit sturdier than the old design

doof_doof
    Free Member

Just replaced a 10yo pair of Merrell Chameleon’s with some Evolv approach shoes, really liking them so far.

househusband

You might also like to consider 5:10’s range of ‘approach’ type shoe – since Merrell went all pooh several years ago I’ve had a few pairs from Rock & Run – normally at silly prices of circa £30 or so.

Just had a look and looks like they have nowt at the moment, sadly – ebay?

jonnyrockymountain

Really like my haglofs vertigo!

matt_outandabout

Whichever fit best.
    I like Salomons, they fit well, and although the soles can be too soft on the more running orientated models, they last well and work. I most have done 250-350 hill days over the last five years in Salomon trainers of various types.
    Having said that, I just picked up some Adidas Goretex boots fromRat Race sale for £45, and they are ace. A tad narrow, but more ‘boot’ than trainer compared with Salomons. Light and so far comfy, but only one proper walk up a hill.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Ended up with a pair of these after a trip to my local Blacks store:

Reduced from £110 > £60!

Seem comfy, well put together & look quite funky (imo) 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which walking shoes? – Merrell type…….’ is closed to new replies.