Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Which Uppy Down Seat Post
  • tomaso
    Free Member

Fancy getting one of these fancy uppy down seat posts, but which one?

Rock Shox Reverb looks like a solid buy and I am not convinced with Crank Brothers quality. CRC have the Reverb for £199 and I think I can get 10% and £10 off which would make is £170

Any ideas?

Vortexracing

at that price get it

Mines been flawless up to now

Tracey

Ive got the Specialized Command post. Im impressed with it so far.

stumpy01

There’s a new Giant one reviewed in MBR that they rate highly. It’s a lot cheaper than the Reverb’s RRP, although similar to the price you reckon you can get it for I think.
    Only available as 30.9mm.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

The reason why those RS posts are cheap at the mo is because they are V1 which had a few problems, they’ve updated these and bringing out V2 which
    I think is practically the same just a few minor design changes.
    Mind you the number of people who have had positive experiences outweighs the problems i think and there is always still the warranty.
    I’m planning on getting the RS when the prices go up again (strangely)

roddi18
    Free Member

Tomaso the 10% off and £10 off over £75 don’t work together, they only allow one discount code per order.
    Look at the gravity dropper, most reliable and that’s from someone with a reverb

cnud
    Free Member

I have 2 Joplins and a Command post which have all performed flawlessly as long as you keep them clean (I run a lizard skin neoprene cover over the collar and some of the post)However I have had an issue with all 3 of the seat clamps, these appear to be made of chocolate and any significant inadvertent impact to the nose or rear of the saddle will pop the rails out of the clamps and damage the aluminium, this is even with the correct torque settings from the manufacturers. It’s not a show stopper but it is annoying when you’ve shelled out the cash.

tomaso
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Ideally I want one that goes up and down and holds the saddle in place!

Tracey

Not had any problems with my seat clamp. Bought if of here. Its one of the newer 125mm ones.
    Juust won a new one for Kevin on ebay this afternoon £131.17 + postage, comming from Australia

kimbers

my gravity droppers been good so far, even has an ibeam clamp

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’ve got the Command Post which is very good, but if I was buying new I’d go for the Giant Contact Switch.

stevede
    Free Member

Slight hijack but have any of the Command post owners got any tips for keeping the lever smooth running – i’ve just bought one second hand off here and its sticky already, does it just use standard gear cable inner and outer?
    Cheers,
    Steve

Matt24k
    Free Member

I’ve heard a lot about early and late Reverbs. On the box there is a sticker which has the week and year of manufacture. Mine is a week 14 2011. I don’t know if that makes it an early or a late one but it has been faultless and did not need bleeding even when I cut the hose to shorten it. Several people have said that they needed to bleed the unit out of the box. Maybe this is the difference between the early and late models.
    I know of another reverb that is week 4 2011 and was fine until the rider had to lay the bike up for 3 weeks in a hot shed and the post would gradually lift when parked and slowly sink when ridden. We just put some of the supplied oil on the post worked it up and down a few times and it has been fine ever since. Maybe the seal dried out?
    The Giant post does look good but is 400mm long and this could give height problems on bikes with kinked seat posts like smaller Giant Reigns, ironically. Not sure if it possible to cut it down and what that would do to the warranty. It is also untried by the hardest test crew in the world, Joe Punter!
    If you can get a Reverb for less than 200 quid and it is manufactured later than week 4 2011 you should be fine.
    Argument about what is early and what is late for Reverbs due along in a minute.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Be warned that the reverbs from CRC don’t include the bleed kit and the rest of the stuff.

ruscle
    Free Member

Careful with the chain reaction reverb posts as they don’t come with the bleed kit which you will need when you shorten the hose length. You can get them from HIBIKE in Germany for £195 delivered, will be with you in around 4 days. My reverb post has been flawless so far, would highly recommend it.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

can you get shims from 30.9 to 31.6mm ?

obviously it would be a thin one…

All the USE/Xlite ones look to go from 27.2 upwards.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Reverb instructions specifically state do not use seat post shims and if you tighten the seat clamp to much the post they do not work very well. They are available in 30.9 and 31.6 x 380mm or 420mm.
    Interesting about CRC not supplying bleed kits as you will need it unless you are really lucky when shortening the hose.
    I bought mine from http://www.actionsports.de in Germany for £219 delivered in 3 days. It arrived with all the bits in the box but Hibike are now better on price at 219 Euro delivered. That’s just under £200 depending on the state of the Euro.
    see http://www.hibike.de/shop/product/p5e67362259a1d130494f4ef2af3fbada/Rock-Shox-Reverb-seat-post-Travel-125mm-black-Remote-lever-handle.html

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I was thinking of the shim for the 30.9 Giant one, not the Reverb.

Matt24k
    Free Member

I’d check with Giant first about using a shim even if there is such a thing as a 0.7mm shim.
    FYI Giant only make mtb with 30.9mm posts.

I’d wait for some more reviews on the Giant to be honest – an instant 10/10, really? Something would have to be bloody perfect and be subject to rigorous testing for me to give it a 10, but then I’m cynical (not to be confused with cynic-al).

Only going by limited personal experience, but my KS950i has been flawless so far – and a 5″ drop.

Oh, and on the subject of the amount of drop – seems like a rather unjustified justification (I’m sure there may be some grammatical correction of that statement offered) of the Giant only having a 4″ drop in said review……..

Deveron53
    Free Member

Just got a Giant dropper post. Shimming tomorrow.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

can you get shims from 30.9 to 31.6mm ?

No. Simple.

Ive come across this for a different dropper post (joplin). There are no viable 30.9-31.6 shims.

Coke cans etc are far far too thin and need several turns. This means that one or other of the turns will slip eventually and drive you crackers. Been there! Also once you cut a can the result is far too short to go below the top tube if you know what I mean. Beer cans may be longer (to get below top tube), but seem equally as thin.

I did get a plastic water bottle to work temporarily (sainsburys basic sparkiling 2.0L if you want to try – 16 pence!) that was exactly the right dimensions for one turn (but needed carbon gripper paste).

Divagirl
    Free Member

Love my Rock Shox reverb, couldn’t be without it now

Gary_C

Gravity Dropper FTW

james
    Free Member

“even if there is such a thing as a 0.7mm shim”

There are such things as 25.0-25.4mm, 25.0-25.6mm, 27.2-27.8mm shims though which surely shows a 30.9mm-31.6mm would be possible to produce. I’d like one too

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The cheap posts on CRC are not because it’s V1 , V2, V3, Blah blah.

It’s because they are OE stock.

FYI – USE do a 30.9-31.6 shim, although they are a pain to get hold of.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

USE make 30.9 -31.6 shims. I know this because a lot of people say they aren’t available, but I looked into it and found that they ARE available.

I then bought one. I bought it from Winstanleys.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/31366/USE_Seatpost_SS_309mm_Shims

slowboydickie

I have a gravity dropper and despite the simplistic design I have had to service it four times in the last year and in the end had to send off to the supplier for a full service because it wasn’t staying up. Also the fixed height positioning is a pain. I would avoid.

I also have an i900. This has also been back twice and now it’s out of warranty the clamp holding the saddle in place isn’t holding it tightly so by the end of a ride the saddle is right back. So i would avoid this too.

After looking at the reverb on sale at crc to replace the above shite kit i thought it only fits xx brakes as a matchmaker.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

they ARE available

I stand corrected 😳

If I had found those it would have saved me a fair chunk of ball ache!

ruscle
    Free Member

The xx matchmaker is an extra bit which goes on the bar clamp, so all you have to do is remove and then fit as you normally would. Still I would and did get 1 from Hibike as came in the box with all the kit you should get with it for the same money, No brainer imo.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Which Uppy Down Seat Post’ is closed to new replies.