Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Which touring tyre?
  • keppoch

I’ve built a wheel for my mothers ‘road’ bike. I say road bike as it was purchased in about 1960 and has little in relation to what would be called a road bike today. It’s probably more similar in shape to a touring bike of today. It is a wrecker of a bike used for going to the shops but she loves it all the same (as do I).

It originally had 27″ wheels but the back has already been replaced with a 700c so the wheel I have built is a 700c Mavic A119 on a Alfine dynamo hub. My questions is what sort of tyre would be appropriate to put on that wheel but not be so narrow as to be uncomfortable or so wide as to cause clearance issues. I can’t measure the existing tyre section as I live miles away and it is a present.

Wired bead and cheap (<£25) options please.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not sure how anyone can have a clue re width/clearance telepathically, though 23-25mm will fit on almost all bikes, 28mm prob OK on an older one. Marathons are popular @ £25.

charliedontsurf

Schwalbe marathons

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve always had good results with Panaracer Paselas.

toby1

Easily agree with the marathon comments above, rides comfortably and very good at resisting punctures.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Which touring tyre?’ is closed to new replies.