Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Which Ti Hardtail for long travel forks?
  • dnhross

Looking to buy a Ti Hardtail frame for general all day riding and a bit of messing about on.

Have lots of bits to throw on including a pair of Fox 36 talas forks

Any recommendations?

tragically1969
    Free Member

Cove Hummer looks like a good option.

bobalong
    Free Member

The Hummer is only rated up to 130mm for some reason. A mate that the Ragley ti and that is designed for longer forks.

Pics…

Mine with F-120's

Mates with Talas 140mm

bol

The new hummer is rated to 140 Bob, honestly, I asked. I believe the Ragley is rated to 160 though.

It really depends what sort of riding you do most of. I went through the same choice very recently, and having bought a Ragley mmmBop to try out the geometry with a view to buying a Ragley Ti, I realised that it was a bit full on for the sort of riding I do most. I ended up with a 130mm Cotic Soda in the end, which I think is a good compromise for the sort of riding I do and really versatile. The Hummer would be good too though I'm sure.

Singletrack tested the Ragley, Lynskey Ridgeline LT, a Van Nic and something else a few issues ago, which might be worth reading. Three of us with a Hummer, a Soda and a Ragley Ti will be riding together in Wales next weekend, so might have some more comparative observations, although I don't suppose we'll be swapping bikes that much.

Here's a pic of my soda. It's got 150 u-turn revs on, but I don't run them any longer than 130.

br
    Free Member

One of these:

But tbh I find the weight of the 36's upsets the balance of the bike, and it rides far better with a lighter fork (currently 140mm Thor). This is based upon running the same forks on a steel 456 previously.

bobalong
    Free Member

Bol – you've been out taking more photos, sorry i mean riding!! How did you find a tree at the same angle as your down tube?

RepacK
    Free Member

I have a Litsepeed Obed (08) which when I bought it was rated to 140mm but it seems the later incarnations are only rated to 120mm for some reason..

Candodavid
    Free Member

Ti 456 and 140mm Pikes here 😛

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

The on-one ti is great but it really does depend on how/what you ride. I ride in the woods on jumps and trails mainly and its fantastic for that but did the trans cambrian way over the bank holiday and it felt a bit sluggish compared the a more traditional XC bike.

Robespierre
    Free Member

Run 150 maxle Revs on my Ti 456 and am really happy with it. I can't really see the point of going with Fox 36's on an XC hardtail. If you need that much on the front because of the terrain and your riding style then surely you need a big full susser.

vinnyeh

Steer clear of the ti456 – Fox 36's on mine felt horrid. Had Pikes, Revs, and Float 32's – all felt more in keeping with the frame

br
    Free Member

Get the steel 456 for 36's, I kept mine for this – although currently my Ti frame is back with Lynskey been repaired…, so the steel one is back on all duties.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

456 Ti or Salsa Ala Carte?

bol

bobalong, I was just struck by the beauty of my surroundings(!) Hadn't noticed the tree/down tube thing. Promise I didn't move the tree.

Forgot about the Ti 456. I don't think that the new one is going to be available until the Autumn, and although the geometry will be the same it is being built by Van Nic rather than Lynskey. I didn't want to wait (and thought the Cotic would suit me better) but I'm sure it will be a real bargain, and I think it's got swap-out drop outs this time too.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Run 150 maxle Revs on my Ti 456 and am really happy with it. I can't really see the point of going with Fox 36's on an XC hardtail. If you need that much on the front because of the terrain and your riding style then surely you need a big full susser.

What, and 150mm of travel isn't to much on an xc hardtail? Your chatting shite

Surely if you want to run LT forks then your gonna be abusing your bike?

Steel would surely be best? Ti is dead light and dead expensive, why would you wann smash through rock gardens on it?

I always thought Ti was a frame for life – i.e. a short travel xc bike, not something for braying into rocks and jumps with.

br
    Free Member

Ti is dead light and dead expensive, why would you wann smash through rock gardens on it?

'cos its a mountain bike!

bet you don't run XTR either, for the same reason?

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Mountain bikes as a whole are dead expensive and dead light but it's not a reason to not thrash them.

Clink

Forgot about the Ti 456 ….being built by Van Nic

Pretty sure it's not – been said on here before. Might be made in the same factory as their's are, but not by them.

bol

Clink – Member
    Forgot about the Ti 456 ….being built by Van Nic

Pretty sure it's not – been said on here before. Might be made in the same factory as their's are, but not by them.

I'm pretty sure I read it on the old on-one website, but it might have been speculation I guess. I supose what it means is it'll be built in Tiwan rather than the US. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing – my Soda is a Tiwanese version and i can't fault it.

brant
    Free Member

Tiwan rather than the US.

It's Taiwan, not Tiwan…

And Van Nic don't build in Taiwan, they build in China at the Hang Lun factory.

bullheart
    Free Member

Singletrack tested the Ragley, Lynskey Ridgeline LT, a Van Nic and something else a few issues ago

A Whyte 19 Ti. And it was the best of all of 'em…!

dnhross

Has anyone seen the commencal VIP titane hardtail. There are some available for £899 look a tempting price if the frame is decent.

As far as the 36's go, its a case of whats on the shelf rather than a 'wishlist' item

Kalidor
    Free Member

Hi… slightly OT here…. The geometry numbers on the On One website of the 456, of which I understand the 456Ti is identical to…..

What fork is the number based on and is it sagged numbers?? I really cant make sense of the numbers there and how does the geo of the 456Ti compare with the Ragley Ti… specifically the ETT length, head and seat angle for say… the 16inch ones..??

brant
    Free Member

specifically the ETT length, head and seat angle for say… the 16inch ones..??

steeper seat, slacker head, about the same ett.

Kalidor
    Free Member

By how much…. Brant??

brant
    Free Member

Head angle is 1.3deg slacker on the Ragley, seat angle is 1 deg steeper. Ragley top tube is 0.5in shorter.

the_lecht_rocks

Head angle is 1.3deg slacker on the Ragley, seat angle is 1 deg steeper. Ragley top tube is 0.5in shorter.

and this is why the ti456 still works for me in NE Scotland.

140mm BT Floats, 50mm Thomson stem and it's a rocketship with beautiful balance. the 140mm Floats offer supple effective suspension and balance the bikle ouyt beautifully both in terms of balance and travel.
    the longer top tube permits a shorter stem and with wide bars [711mm] makes steering super accurate.

most people wouldn't get it until they tried it for a long period but it just clicks for me 🙂

brant
    Free Member

and this is why the ti456 still works for me in NE Scotland.

The Ti 456 is not shit.

I do prefer a slacker head angle for the stupider steep stuff I ride a lot. Not all people do that. It's fun though. Much easier control in the rough at high speed/big bumps.

most people wouldn't get it until they tried it for a long period but it just clicks for me

Does that mean "it takes some getting used to"?

the_lecht_rocks

aye – it took some getting used to fat bars and a super short stem.
    it's a cracking bike.
    and there's so many people ask about it out on the trail having read the reviews / heard about tem on t'net, etc.
    i have been riding the nicolai mostly recently, but a long blast of the ti456 at glentress last week reminded my why i love the bike……………… 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

Coves are more accurately rated at A2C not travel – Hummer is 510mm which is a 140mm Fox fork or a Pike at 132mm

i was looking into Lynskey Ridgeline LT, it has a 69' headangle which Hotlines said was with a sagged fork – but speaking to Lynskey via www its at 69' with an unsagged fork so not uber slack really

brant
    Free Member

i was looking into Lynskey Ridgeline LT, it has a 69' headangle which Hotlines said was with a sagged fork – but speaking to Lynskey via www its at 69' with an unsagged fork so not uber slack really

Lynskey must have changed the drawings then. Cos thats not how I signed it off. Unless someone there is mistaken.

br
    Free Member

OT, but, Brant also

[/i]The geometry numbers on the On One website of the 456, of which I understand the 456Ti is identical to…..

Then how come when I swap my seat/seatpost over the seat is at a different angle on my steel 456 than it is on my 456Ti – same build…

I didn't notice when building it up originally, but after damaging my Ti frame (and sending it off) I just built the steel one back up. Went for a ride and the seat nose was pointing down. Is the seat tube 'steeper' on the steel than the Ti, and is that why I also needed a longer cable outer for the rear mech?

Both ride superb BTW, so no complaints.

brant
    Free Member

Is the seat tube 'steeper' on the steel than the Ti, and is that why I also needed a longer cable outer for the rear mech?

cable guides I could explain. Seat angle (literally) I couldn't. Odd!

qwerty
    Free Member

QWERTY – i was looking into Lynskey Ridgeline LT, it has a 69' headangle which Hotlines said was with a sagged fork – but speaking to Lynskey via www its at 69' with an unsagged fork so not uber slack really

BRANT – Lynskey must have changed the drawings then. Cos thats not how I signed it off. Unless someone there is mistaken.

poor communication = lack of sale!!!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Which Ti Hardtail for long travel forks?’ is closed to new replies.