Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Which Team (Football, Rugbyball, whatever) has the best song?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

While undoubtedly being biased towards You'll Never Walk Alone, there are other great songs sung by fans all over the land…

What are your favourites? Which ones do you hate?

Today, I've been listening to Hibs fans singing their unofficial anthem, Sunshine On Leith. Fair dues, I'd love a song like that as an anthem…watched coverage of them singing it after winning the Scottish cup, it never sounded finer.

Ireland's Call is a bit boring but I like that it's a song that fans from the whole island can sing for the rugby team. And the only other national anthem I find really emotional is Land of My Fathers sung in the Millennium Stadium, preferably not sung by a soprano, just the crowd thanks.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

DD, why did you even bother starting this thread when you already know the only possible answer?

And now, Ladies and Gentlemen, pray silence for His Majesty The King….

Thangyouverymush…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Never heard that version…not one of my favourites. 🙂

fatboyslo
    Free Member

M O T

this thread can now be closed 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

(Clicky Pink Floyd piccy for great and wonderful thing)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

fatboyslo

Ooops, just got it…Leeds fan…

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Ej5KmGpAw

In all seriousness though YNWA is pretty good when you hear it in the ground.

This always makes the hairs stand on end up when heard up at Celtic as well:

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Was at the old Highbury many years ago, had to stand in the Arse end. Heard the LFC fans singing YNWA. The Library was silent, then as the singing finished, even the Arsenal fans cheered and clapped. Heard one bloke say 'we really need a song like that'. 😀

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

They just need a song full stop.

vinnyeh

There's only really one answer to that, though it's the players..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_CaSu-fnGg

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I thought he said "best" not "gayest".

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

They just need a song full stop.

Well, they've got one….

Not exactly Rogers and Hammerstein, is it? An Arsenal fan mate of mine said that at Highbury they'd have the words scrolling across the huge scoreboard screen, with little balls bouncing on them, karaoke style! 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Vinnyeh; that's not a song, it's just shouting.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I was in the away crowd of the last away team to win at Highbury – the night Campbell stormed out at half time and went home.

How quiet they were that night.

The next season I was in the away crowd for the first away team to win at the emirates – they were even quieter!!!

😀

vinnyeh

Vinnyeh; that's not a song, it's just shouting.

same thing.

I thought he said "best" not "gayest".

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt there. 😉 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, we know there's the haka but that's not a song sung by the fans…

As for I'm Forever Blowing…

Why do the Hammers fans sing that?

OmarLittle
    Free Member

you'll never walk alone is maudlin shite

The Argentinian and Turkish fans take some beating when it comes to fan chants. Although one of my favourites would b horta magiko from panathinaikos is a cracker (although video is from a basketball game rather than football) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX-HP7V4aaw

Dont have a clue what any of it means but sounds great!

Also quite like this ditty i heard motherwell fans sing once

"Well i've been a muff diver for many a year
    I've spent all my money on muff divin' gear
    From goggles to flippers and oxygen tank
    If I cant have a muff dive i'll just have a ****
    And its Motherwell, Motherwell FC
    It's by far the greatest team the world has ever seen"

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

My lot definitely have the best tune to run out to

Yep, its Herb Alpert and his Tijuana Brass with the superb
    Tijuana Taxi

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

As for I'm Forever Blowing…

Why do the Hammers fans sing that?

I've never actually heard a definitive answer although the most likely story is that in the 20s we had a player that had curly locks, and the song was used in a pears soap advert – with the kid with the curly locks and so the crowd started singing it to him as a bit of a piss take. Then it stuck.

It does sound good at Upton Pk, under the floodlights before a match, although it isn't the most positive of songs, but probably does sum us up if I'm honest. There aren't many clubs that are strongly identified with one song so it does always make me proud to hear it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That bloody song they play at Chelsea…there's one I hate.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

One of the funniest at Chelsea was years ago, when we played them. I was in the Chelsea end and it was one of the first games back for Graham Rix after getting done for the under aged sex thing.The away end started singing "There's only one Graham Rix, withbhis packet of sweets and a cheeky smile, he's a dirty paedophile". The Chelsea end started falling about laughing and immediately started singing it as well.

Poor old Mr Rix looked a little hurt and angry.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Which Team (Football, Rugbyball, whatever) has the best song?’ is closed to new replies.